Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only in America, cont:- US boy, three, shoots both parents in New Mexico

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Beyond parody, this is surely The Onion come to life. From the BBC website today:-

"A three-year-old American boy has shot his mother and father with the same bullet after pulling a gun from her handbag, police say.
The incident took place in a motel room on Saturday afternoon in Albuquerque in the state of New Mexico.

The toddler was apparently reaching for an iPod.

The bullet passed through his father's buttock and hit his mother, who is eight months pregnant, in the arm. Both parents are said to be recovering.

The boy's two-year-old sister, who was also in the room at the America's Best Value Inn, was unhurt."

This sets a new US All-Comers Trigger-Happy Toddler (TM) record, trumping the recent effort by the two year-old who managed only to take out his mother. Pleasingly, it shows a commendable regard for the environment too, in felling both parents with a single shot.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And if there was ever evidence of how stupid Americans are then this is it. How on earth did they become a super power ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is Darwin's Theory of Evolution in action. As Americans have lots and lots of guns, evolution is helping them by giving them huge appetites. This means that when they are accidentally shot, their huge bulk means they are less likely to suffer fatality as there is less chance of a bullet either finding a vital organ or, being able to penetrate the fat layer surrounding them.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This is Darwin's Theory of Evolution in action. As Americans have lots and lots of guns, evolution is helping them by giving them huge appetites. This means that when they are occidentally shot, their huge bulk means they are less likely to suffer fatality as there is less chance of a bullet either finding a vital organ or, being able to penetrate the fat layer surrounding them.
They only have one vital organ over there........their stomachs

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
This is Darwin's Theory of Evolution in action. As Americans have lots and lots of guns, evolution is helping them by giving them huge appetites. This means that when they are occidentally shot, their huge bulk means they are less likely to suffer fatality as there is less chance of a bullet either finding a vital organ or, being able to penetrate the fat layer surrounding them.
Something that only happens in the Wild West?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Beyond parody, this is surely The Onion come to life. From the BBC website today:-

"A three-year-old American boy has shot his mother and father with the same bullet after pulling a gun from her handbag, police say.
The incident took place in a motel room on Saturday afternoon in Albuquerque in the state of New Mexico.

The toddler was apparently reaching for an iPod.

The bullet passed through his father's buttock and hit his mother, who is eight months pregnant, in the arm. Both parents are said to be recovering.

The boy's two-year-old sister, who was also in the room at the America's Best Value Inn, was unhurt."

This sets a new US All-Comers Trigger-Happy Toddler (TM) record, trumping the recent effort by the two year-old who managed only to take out his mother. Pleasingly, it shows a commendable regard for the environment too, in felling both parents with a single shot .

I wouldn't risk commending him....I think he was aiming for his sister !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm so glad we live in a country with tough gun laws. However if I was American, I would almost certainly oppose any kind of restriction on handguns for various reasons.

This is an awful and sadly familiar story... but there is no solution to it. The gun culture which the country has inherited from the wild west isn't going to go away, but in a strange way it empowers the American people in a way that we cannot relate to.

Indeed, we are always going to hear of these stories. Americans cannot give up guns, therefore there will be more deaths yet they feel safer with them. Incredible.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Look at the recent reaction to Liam Neeson's comments about gun culture in the US.

The firearms company concerned has withdrawn it's support for Neeson's films and slammed his comments.

OK their 'right to bear arms' is enshrined in the constitution - but don't challenge a gun manufacturers right to make millions of $$$$$$$$$$. Result: you will have the NRA and various lobby groups all over you like a nasty redneck rash.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I'm so glad we live in a country with tough gun laws. However if I was American, I would almost certainly oppose any kind of restriction on handguns for various reasons.

This is an awful and sadly familiar story... but there is no solution to it. The gun culture which the country has inherited from the wild west isn't going to go away, but in a strange way it empowers the American people in a way that we cannot relate to.

Very well stated! Having spent 20 years in America as a criminologist it is one of the biggest reasons I'm back in the UK. I spent way too much time in morgues looking at innocent peoples' dead bodies.

I wouldn't say it comes from "wild west" culture but from the old American need to defend themselves from intruders--which is tied to the US constitution 2nd amendment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very well stated! Having spent 20 years in America as a criminologist it is one of the biggest reasons I'm back in the UK. I spent way too much time in morgues looking at innocent peoples' dead bodies.

I wouldn't say it comes from "wild west" culture but from the old American need to defend themselves from intruders--which is tied to the US constitution 2nd amendment.

Your name is Dexter and I claim my £5 ( or $5 )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here