Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Use of LITERALLY

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Has anyone REALLY ever been glued to the spot, petrified (ie. turned to stone), forced to jump out of their skin or simply had the cr@p scared out of them ?

Just wondered like

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes to first and last.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally

Definition of literally in English:
adverb
1In a literal manner or sense; exactly: the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’
More example sentences Synonyms
1.1 informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true: I have received literally thousands of letters

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
1.1 informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true: I have received literally thousands of letters

This of course would be a case of using 'literally' figuratively.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"Ohmigod, I was, like, kinda, y'know, like, ohmigod, it was, like, so funny, I like, literally died laughing, ohmigod, I literally wet myself, 'cos, it was, like, literally the funniest thing ever" (last word raised in tone, Aussie-style, as if it was a question).

This seems to be how teenage girls and many young women talk these days :yawn:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Starting a sentence with. "So"

Aussies starting a sentence with "ahhh, look..."

Jenowaddameen

Starting a sentence with. "So"

Aussies starting a sentence with "ahhh, look..."

Jenowaddameen

Politicians love "look" to start a sentence. To them it is code for "I am going to avoid answering what you said and give the answer that I want".

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Politicians love "look" to start a sentence. To them it is code for "I am going to avoid answering what you said and give the answer that I want".

I hate the way they have to keep saying "not fit for purpose" and keep on about "once in a generation", unsurprisingly smug Cameron is one of the worst offenders.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally

Definition of literally in English:
adverb
1In a literal manner or sense; exactly: the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’
More example sentences Synonyms

While I appreciate the Oxford Dictionary feels it should reflect inaccurate informal usage that has become despicably widespread they should really think about the trouble caused by endorsing or encouraging such use.

In the case of literally I can think of no other suitable word to substitute for literally when I literally mean literally. I suppose I could emphasise the meaning of literally I am after by saying literally literally - but then some latter day Jamie Redknapp would end up popularising the use of literally literally to be "informal Used for extra emphasis while not being literally true: I have received literally literally thousands of letters".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here