Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolf Hall

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Another thread started on here today about Fortitude starting on Sky with an all-star cast and so on.

But why is no one getting excited about Wolf Hall. I caught up with the first episode yesterday evening and then watched the second. Absolutely superb. Direction, locations, photography and so on absolutely first class, but the casting and acting second to none.

Is it because it is on the BBC, that some on here want to rubbish on every occasion?

Mark Rylance as Cromwell is wonderful. The scene in the first episode where he came home to be told his wife had died, and then his two daughters died as well, was heartbreaking. Someone once said of Count Basie "so few notes, so much music! Is there an acting equivalent. Rylance conveyed so much emotion with so little apparently going on - a subtle change of expression, a single tear and enormous dignity.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Another thread started on here today about Fortitude starting on Sky with an all-star cast and so on.

But why is no one getting excited about Wolf Hall. I caught up with the first episode yesterday evening and then watched the second. Absolutely superb. Direction, locations, photography and so on absolutely first class, but the casting and acting second to none.

Is it because it is on the BBC, that some on here want to rubbish on every occasion?

Mark Rylance as Cromwell is wonderful. The scene in the first episode where he came home to be told his wife had died, and then his two daughters died as well, was heartbreaking. Someone once said of Count Basie "so few notes, so much music! Is there an acting equivalent. Rylance conveyed so much emotion with so little apparently going on - a subtle change of expression, a single tear and enormous dignity.

Mark Rylance's presence on stage is absolutely mesmeric in every role he plays; quite the best actor I've had the privilege to watch.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Absolutely "must watch" television and I couldn't agree more about Mark Rylance's performance. I've loved every second of it so far and I'm sure the cast and production team of Wolf Hall will need a wheelbarrow when the BAFTAs are handed out.

Superb stuff.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Episode 1 was excellent, and I will be catching up with the second over the next couple of days. It was a superb book, thoroughly deserving of all the acclaim (including the Booker Prize) that it received, and the screen representation is already better than I could have hoped. Marvellous.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just for balance, we're watching it right now, episode one, well, the wife is watching it, I started, then I had a little snooze (long day), and now I'm going to look at the internet on my tablet.

:yawn:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, it's a cut-above. Rylance is extraordinary, but he's given a run for it by the lighting which is both exquisite and evocative.
One minor quibble: neither I nor my missus have read the book, and we're finding it a tad difficult working out who all the characters are.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, it's a cut-above. Rylance is extraordinary, but he's given a run for it by the lighting which is both exquisite and evocative.
One minor quibble: neither I nor my missus have read the book, and we're finding it a tad difficult working out who all the characters are.

It's not an easy book to read, for that very reason! It took me twice as long as it usually would for a book of that size - constantly checking back, re-reading sections etc.

Not easy, but very worthwhile.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Totally agree about both the lighting and the dotting around between different times with flashbacks and so on, which makes it all the more difficult to work out who is who sometimes.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Just for balance, we're watching it right now, episode one, well, the wife is watching it, I started, then I had a little snooze (long day), and now I'm going to look at the internet on my tablet.

:yawn:

Thank god it was not justice my wife and I who found it to be dull drivel. I normally enjoy historical drama, but the first episode sent me to sleep.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I've watched both episodes and agree that it's great TV. You really have to concentrate to follow the plot, but that only makes it more interesting, and, as others have said, Mark Rylance is brilliant as Thomas Cromwell.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
It's quality tv although got confused with the flashbacks, for those with toddlers Rylance voices Flop in Bing on Cbbies which is more or less the only tv he does which is quite bizarre.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
The detail is superb. I had the privilege of seeing Mark Rylance at the RSC. My god the man can act. Wolf Hall is brilliant.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It really is excellent stuff. The book is as good if niot better - but you have to concentrate.

It has a similar quality, feel, and build up and pace to the original TV version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the Alec Guiness version, not the film)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Naturally I agree; having just watched the second awesome and anti-soporific episode at Kosh towers. One thing I find interesting, is the ost, sparten yet sublime, invoking images of sweet Italy - a reference to Cromwell's younger days doubtless. Soundtrack aside, the overall televisual vista is one mesmeric, subtle yet scorching beauty.

Rylance too is truly celestial in his distant yet commanding presence, the deepest shade of black punctuated by captivating and twinkling yet strangely cold lights. He is truly a fine a c t o r, riffing on the anti hero Eastwood 'man with no name' of yore. When he speaks you are never in any doubt of Cromwell's worth, when he chooses not to speak you are never in doubt of the cool calculation bubbling 'neath the surface.

"Hey amigo, do you know you've got a face beautiful enough to be worth $2000?!?" - silence - "... yeah... and you don't look like the one who'll collect it..." - more silence... - 4 people then die. End scene.

Doubtless the great Sergio would claim: the 'hat' is playing the lead.

All of this, and some of the chicks have got great tits.

Kosh

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
It really is excellent stuff. The book is as good if niot better - but you have to concentrate.

It has a similar quality, feel, and build up and pace to the original TV version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the Alec Guiness version, not the film)

I know what you mean about Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, with a wonderful always understated but totally convincing lead from Alec Guinness, and an enormously capable supporting cast.
n

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the thing hat has put me off it is "based on a novel"
but might go back and watch it at a later date

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
must admit I am in the familiar position of thinking not as good as the books.
not doubting the quality of the acting but the quality of the writing special.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's quality tv although got confused with the flashbacks, for those with toddlers Rylance voices Flop in Bing on Cbbies which is more or less the only tv he does which is quite bizarre.

He also played David Kelly in The Government Inspector about 10 years ago - he was equally mesmerising in that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here