Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oliver Poor ref or Good?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just watching the league cup highlights and Leroy Rosenior was praising Oliver for keeping players on the pitch, ie Lucas and Henderson. Costa aside, bearing in mind the ref didn't really see the incidents, is a ref right to keep players on the pitch when they have deserved a second yellow merely to keep it a good game? Personally, if players transgress then the ref has no right to ignore the rules. He gave a foul against Lucas for a deliberate trip which, if he hadn't previously been booked I'm certain would have been a yellow (his second). Equally, he gave a free kick for handball against Henderson. If it was just ball to hand then it shouldn't be a free kick but if it was deliberate then it is, which the ref gave and, it should be another yellow. Very poor referring in my view. It also has a bearing on the games that Henderson and Lucas would have missed due to a ban.

It's similar and as laughable as refs that only book for time wasting in the last 5 minutes of a game when it has no effect. The laws of the game should be applied from the 1st minute to the last. If refs applied the letter of the law more often then maybe stuff like shirt pulling and all the stupid things in the game would disappear.

As for Costa, deserves to get done for the first incident but the second not so clear cut, especially when you've got a defender's boot in your thigh and even more so if that defender is Skrtel!!!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I don't think you can take one bad game as solid evidential proof that Oliver is a bad referee.

I agree that the awarding of cards for time-wasting is something that needs looking at and that the standard of refereeing in this country is by and large painfully low but as Premier League officials go he is generally one of the better ones.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Equally, he gave a free kick for handball against Henderson. If it was just ball to hand then it shouldn't be a free kick but if it was deliberate then it is, which the ref gave and, it should be another yellow.
So you're saying that all free-kicks for handball should result in a yellow? What if it's ball to hand and not deliberate, but a free kick because you shouldn't have had your arms wide in the first place?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So you're saying that all free-kicks for handball should result in a yellow? What if it's ball to hand and not deliberate, but a free kick because you shouldn't have had your arms wide in the first place?

Read what I said; the word 'deliberate' makes it a bookable offence. There may well be a grey area where a player spreads their hands out and blocks the ball but that is different to where there is deliberate movement of the arm to the ball.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Personally I think Oliver is the best in the Prem, he was good on Sunday for our game too.
Should have booked Calderon for his ridiculous dive and think he got both handball decisions correct too.

The Chelsea game he didn`t see the Costa stamps, perhaps Henderson could have got second yellow for handball but would have been harsh.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Personally I think Oliver is the best in the Prem, he was good on Sunday for our game too.
Should have booked Calderon for his ridiculous dive and think he got both handball decisions correct too.

The Chelsea game he didn`t see the Costa stamps, perhaps Henderson could have got second yellow for handball but would have been harsh.

Calderon's 'ridiculous dive' was due to getting the ball trapped under his feet and falling over it. He didn't dive.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The refereeing performances seem to have been effected by last summers World Cup imo. For example, penalties seem harder to get this season. That all started in Brazil. The same applies for refs trying to keep as many players on the pitch in so called 'big games'. A domino effect.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

This is what annoys me, if he doesn't see he what is he meant to do? guess?

Ref's can not see everything, I can not believe Foy has been relegated to the Championship after the Spurs offside goal, it wasnt his fault.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
He was good on Sunday and an absolute disgrace on Tuesday. He allowed himself to be intimidated by the players and chickened out of taking appropriate action when it was clearly needed.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
This is what annoys me, if he doesn't see he what is he meant to do? guess?

Ref's can not see everything, I can not believe Foy has been relegated to the Championship after the Spurs offside goal, it wasnt his fault.

How can you be annoyed ?
I said he didn`t see it.
I wasn`t blaming him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here