Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luis Figo: Portuguese great makes bid for Fifa presidency

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
He would get my vote over Blatter ......There again so would 99.9% of any other candidate if it was a choice between them and the corrupt Swiss cheese

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Every day there seems to be another person declaring their candidature. I worry the opposition is fragmented, giving Blatter a clear run.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Every day there seems to be another person declaring their candidature. I worry the opposition is fragmented, giving Blatter a clear run.

This would appear to be the case and you finish up hypothetically with 5 candidates each getting 15% of the votes and Blatter getting 25% and being reelected by default although 75% voted against him.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
This would appear to be the case and you finish up hypothetically with 5 candidates each getting 15% of the votes and Blatter getting 25% and being reelected by default although 75% voted against him.

Dosent he have to get a certain %age of vote ie a second run off election of the top two ?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I am not sure of how the voting works just a theoretical view of the voting and having numerous candidates. If needed I am sure he would change the rules to ensure he won the vote.

From a FIFA document:

For the election of the FIFA President, two-thirds of the votes of the FIFA members present and eligible to vote are necessary in the first ballot.

In the second and any other requisite ballot, a simple majority (more than 50%) of the valid votes cast is sufficient.

If there are more than two candidates for the office of FIFA President, whoever obtains the lowest number of votes is eliminated as from the second ballot until only two candidates are left (cf.art. 27 par. 3 of the FIFA Statutes).

If there is only one candidate, a simple majority (more than 50%) of the valid votes cast is sufficient in the first ballot.

Don't understand the last line! If there is only one candidate, surely the only votes cast would be for him and members who didn't vote for him would abstain?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Some will drop out, I'm sure. Most have the same manifesto: "I'm not Blatter".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Damn. Yet another candidate has put his hat in the ring. Opposition to Splatter now so fragmented that the slimy sod will get back in. Probably with all his African and Asian friends he will anyway, but it would be nice to see just one (credible) candidate stand against him; Ginola for my money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would they not all be better employed pooling their resources and support to put up a mutually agreeable opponent to Blatter to ensure his defeat.

Mind the alternative could be Platini who would possibly be as bad but certainly no better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would they not all be better employed pooling their resources and support to put up a mutually agreeable opponent to Blatter to ensure his defeat.

Mind the alternative could be Platini who would possibly be as bad but certainly no better.

Yep, this isnt good at all.

we want one person everyone can back
Nobody creditable from Europe can stand against Blatter.
Something about getting block votes from affiliates like UEFA.
Obviously anybody opposing Blatter is basically asking to step off the gravy train.

Hence Prince Wotsit from Asia standing.

The FIFA by-laws associated with ethics (I know, I know, but trust me) also stipulate nobody can hold the top job if they have previously been employed by any form of company engaged in gambling.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I think the opposite no one candidate is really strong enough as Blatter has some of the big voting blocks tied up he is really a sure foot in, but with lots of candidates big names in football from many countries all saying they want to clean up football its a call that cannot be ignored. Blatter may well get in but with little legitimise backing from the football elite his tenure is likely to be a short one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here