Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's NSC's favourite studio album by The Beatles?

Which is the greatest album by The Beatles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Piss off Beatles-haters, there's nothing for you here.

the-beatles-through-the-years-31444592825.jpeg

I have a fairly strong sense of what I think the top 2/3 will be, but would be interested to hear other's arguments for/against certain albums.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Revolver. Obvious choice for a reason. Probably the greatest final track on any album ever. Fact.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Huge Beatles fan. For my money it's Revolver. The album has a level of consistency in its brilliance which is unmatched by any other Beatles LP and is the true 'acid album' despite what you might believe about Sgt Pepper. Also contains one of my favourite Beatles tracks: the much underrated 'And your bird can sing'. Pepper is a very good album but Revolver is a notch above that. I'm always surprised by the level of support for the White Album when this topic comes up. There are some brilliant tracks on it but there's a lot of instantly forgettable claptrap.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Weren't all the ones after Revolver recorded with a fake McCartney lookalike inserted into the band? ???

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
White Album for me, love the diversity. Closely followed by Abbey Road. The 'Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End' medley always gets me choked up, wonderful stuff.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
White Album for me, love the diversity. Closely followed by Abbey Road. The 'Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End' medley always gets me choked up, wonderful stuff.

Diversity and innovation don't necessarily mean quality.

Yes, there are classics. While my Guitar, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Revolution One are fantastic and there are other good tracks but Wild Honey Pie? I'm So Tired? Why don't we do it in the Road? Piggies and of course, the God-awful Revolution 9? Those alone take it down significantly in my estimation.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Abbey Road for me, but I think they're all good albums (I don't know about Yellow Submarine, as I wasn't alive when they were released I've only listened to the remasters which has Magical Mystery tour. :blush:) , but here are my somewhat cynical thoughts about them.

Please Please me
Generic pop of the time, no better than anything else released at the time.

With the Beatles
The same as Please Please me.

A Hard day's night
Less generic than other stuff released at the time, the start of when they went from decent to great.

Beatles for sale
the first properly 'ground breaking' album by them, some good tracks that aren't just the concept of love and women being thrown in your face...

Help!
Similar to Beatles for sale, but with a few "poppy" tracks thrown in.

Rubber Soul
The same comment as for Beatles for sale.

Revolver
Great Album, very creative, and groundbreaking use of technology available at the time.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Great Album, very creative, pushed the technology available almost to the limit, groundbreaking music. But a bit overrated and some of the songs are a bit weird imo.

The White Album
A bit overrated, some very good songs on it, and then some not so very good/weird songs on it, e.g. Revolution 9 and Why don't we do it in the road.

Abbey Road
The best out of them all, great songs in the first half of it, and the medley in the second half of that is a solid classic.

Let it be
Was thrown together out of bad atmospheric recording sessions for an album that never happened, and sounds a little bit like it, still good, but behind Abbey road, the white album and revolver.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bit like trying to pick your favourite child. I've gone for Revolver as I played it to death one holiday because every track was class. However, Pepper, Rubber Soul, White, Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine (which was a studio album too) are all great. Hell, so are all the others.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Revolver is great but Sgt. Peppers has A Day in the Life on it.

A Day in the Life is a bona fide titan of a song but that's like saying The Who's 'My Generation' is their greatest album for having the titular track on it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rubber Soul just feels right to me all these years on. Sgt. Peppers was phenomenal at the time and Revolver was the drugs kicking in and changing the direction. I love all their albums up to the White Album. I really really dislike Let it Be, too much schmaltzy McCartney for me, I think John had lost interest by then. Bit meh about Abbey Road too, a little too commercial for me.

I am old enough to remember all of them the day they were released, except the first two. It was a massive event, that just doesn't happen these days,

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here