Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being 'ready to go up'

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Following the ‘too good to go down’ thread, it got me thinking back to a couple of years ago when we were vying for the play-off places under Gus. Whilst we were witnessing exciting and seemingly stable times at the Club combined with the recent arrival of Lord Ulloa to our already competitive and impressive squad, I can’t help but recall several conversations I had with people on match days and throughout the working week who would claim that ‘we weren’t ready to go up yet’.

Taking into consideration that the side at that point included the likes of Bridge, Upson, PIG, Barnes, Buckley, Bridcutt, Ulloa, all of which previously have or are now currently playing in the top flight, not to mention Noone earlier in the Amex-era who has also graced the Premier League, were we ready to go up and if not, what constitutes as ‘being ready to go up’? Personally I think it’s a nonsense statement.

For example, were Blackpool ‘ready to go up’ when they won promotion back in 2010…?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
People who say 'we aren't ready to go up' are plonkers.

You don't get to CHOOSE when you go up. You go up when you can. You might not have another opportunity to go up again for years.

In an ideal world you would want to be good enough to stay there once promoted. I don't think we would have been on either occasion, I think we would really have struggled and probably been relegated. That said we would have been better off financially as we would have parachute payments.

But we'd be even better off going up and staying up.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Following the ‘too good to go down’ thread, it got me thinking back to a couple of years ago when we were vying for the play-off places under Gus. Whilst we were witnessing exciting and seemingly stable times at the Club combined with the recent arrival of Lord Ulloa to our already competitive and impressive squad, I can’t help but recall several conversations I had with people on match days and throughout the working week who would claim that ‘we weren’t ready to go up yet’.

Taking into consideration that the side at that point included the likes of Bridge, Upson, PIG, Barnes, Buckley, Bridcutt, Ulloa, all of which previously have or are now currently playing in the top flight, not to mention Noone earlier in the Amex-era who has also graced the Premier League, were we ready to go up and if not, what constitutes as ‘being ready to go up’? Personally I think it’s a nonsense statement.

For example, were Blackpool ‘ready to go up’ when they won promotion back in 2010…?

Not all those players you mention are necessarily enormously successful or automatic starters where they are, if they are still playing.

If we were to find ourselves in danger of promotion at the end of the season, I think what would be most important is a manager and an infrastructure around him who are capable of assessing the strengths of what we have, assessing where we need to strengthen, and doing something about it. I think our Mr Hughton would be as good as anyone at that. The issue might be that the amount of strengthening the squad would need is not achievable, because it might be in most areas.

So does "not ready to go up" mean you need a stronger base squad to start with which would be half-ready for Premier League action.... which I guess might have been the OP's point anyway, says he, talking himself round in circles..

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

You don't get to CHOOSE when you go up. You go up when you can. You might not have another opportunity to go up again for years.

This.
It's an idiotic phrase, even if you are not "ready to go up" you are much better off going up and coming straight back down again.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Correct. If you get a SNIFF you throw everything at it.

That's what Palace did. We had it within our grasp but bottled it. I said then it'll be another five or six years before we can challenge again and I stick by that. You can't pick and choose,

There's a huge difference between 'ready to go up and stay up' and just being ready to 'go up' IMO,

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
No team is ever really 'ready' for the premier league. You just have to snatch the chance to go up with both hands and see what you can do when you get there.

Jimmy Grimble

Seen a few Brentford fans saying similar this season, along the lines of not being bothered if they don't get play offs/go up. Reminded me of a few of our fans a couple years back. I can sort of understand embracing the mentality of 'we're just gonna enjoy it, there's nothing really to lose', as it eases the expectation and the pressure of being in the promotion hunt. The problem is there definitely is something to lose - the chance of banking millions, likely your best players, possibly your manager and the momentum of promotion/good form.

We're back at the start of a cycle again where we need to recruit some stand-out players and build up some momentum and a feel good factor. Hopefully in Hughton we've landed a manager who can provide the platform to synthesise the signing of top quality players with building forward momentum. The early signs are good, we need to keep the positivity rolling with at least one quality signing this window (potentially could be Beram?) and a second half of the season where we move up the table, playing a style of football that the players all understand. It should put us in a good position in the summer to try and attack the play offs next season.

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

blimey, when you put it like that it really shows how strong we were. Most concerning is that at the time I didn't think we were ready for the prem. What worries me now is how much re-work and further building required to be truly ready in my opinion.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If a team is ready for promotion is irrelevant as the manager, if supported properly by the owner, goes out and replaces any players who he deems not to be good enough, or tries to.

It also assumes that a team narrowly missing out on promotion will stick together for another season. The reality is that if a player is good enough they will be wanted by a PL club and will bugger off.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For me, I always felt that, had we gone up in either of the last two seasons (but especially from the first play-off) that we would have been stuffed week in week out.

Two games made me doubt that.... pre-season against Chelsea and the last FA Cup against Arsenal. In both games I felt we gave a good account of ourselves and PL football might not be all bad.

That was the team that could have given us a good stay up there, maybe even away from the relegation zone for most of the season. Now... I don't fancy watching us get spanked every week so if it was offered today, with this squad, I'd pass.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Under Gus I really think we were ready. But sadly we messed it up in one crucial game. Had he stayed I would have fancied us heavily last season.

el punal

Well, we had a dress rehearsal last Sunday. Bearing in mind it was against one of Europe's stronger sides the eventual outcome wasn't too bad. On the evidence displayed, our first half showing would mean certain relegation, whilst our second half effort showed that we can hold our own.

To quote the old saying - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Under Gus I really think we were ready. But sadly we messed it up in one crucial game. Had he stayed I would have fancied us heavily last season.

Indeed. With the riches that would have followed I do think we woul have made a decent fist and prob just about stayed up. I mean Palace did so no reason why we coudnt.

Sadly we are now a million miles from that team that lost to Palace that day :( so we have regressed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here