Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Escape Intial Line Up Announcement

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Brighton's multivenue festival extravagnza enters its 10th year here. Here's the intial line up

1987 / 36? / ACOLLECTIVE / ADAM FRENCH / ADMIRAL FALLOW / AK/DK / ALABAMA SHAKES / ALL TVVINS / ALO WALA / ANDREA BALENCY / ANDY SHAUF / APES / APRIL TOWERS / AQUILO / AURORA / AWESOME TAPES FROM AFRICA / BAD BREEDING / BAD//DREEMS / BANOFFEE / BELLA FIGURA / BLACK HONEY / BLACK PEAKS / BOOTHROYD / BULLY / C.A.R. / CAIROBI / CHARLES HOWL / CHARLIE STRAW / CHELOU / CHOIR OF YOUNG BELIEVERS / CLARENCE CLARITY / CLOSE TALKER / COSMO SHELDRAKE / CREEPER / CREEPOID / DAN BODAN / DARK MOON / DEMOB HAPPY / DJANGO DJANGO / DUTCH UNCLES / ELDER ISLAND / EWERT AND THE TWO DRAGONS / FANTASMA / FISMOLL / FLO MORRISSEY / FLYYING COLOURS / FOREVER PAVOT / FORMATION / FRASER A GORMAN / FREDDIE DICKSON & THE GUARD / FROM INDIAN LAKES / GABRIELLE PAPILLON / GENGAHR / GIRL BAND / GROENLAND / H.HAWKLINE / HÆLOS / HAPPYNESS / HONNE / HUMAN HAIR / IBEYI / IVY & GOLD / JACK GARRATT / JAGAARA / JASMINE THOMPSON / JORDAN KLASSEN / JP COOPER / KAGOULE / KEVIN DEVINE / KIKO BUN / KLAUS JOHANN GROBE / LAKE MALAWAI / LAPSLEY / LAURA DOGGETT / LAZYTALK / LE GALAXIE / LEE BAINS III & THE GLORY FIRES / LES BIG BYRD / LIFE / LITTLE MARY / LITTLE SIMZ / LOUIS BERRY / LOUIS MTTRS / LOW ROAR / LOYLE CARNER / LUBOMYR MELNYK / MAPEI / MEAT WAVE / MENACE BEACH / MONICA HELDAL / MOUMOON / MT WOLF / MY BABY / NICK BREWER / OCEAÁN / ORLA GARTLAND / OSCA / OSCAR & THE WOLF / PASSEPIED / PIERCE BROTHERS / PINS / POPSTRANGERS / PRETTY VICIOUS / PROM / RAG N BONE MAN / RAT BOY / REAL LIES / REMI / ROLLS BAYCE / SAINT MOTEL / SASKWATCH / SEINABO SEY / SHELTER POINT / SILENCES / SINGLE MOTHERS / SLAVES / SOAK / SONGHOY BLUES / SUNSET SONS / SWAY CLARKE II / TEI SHI / THABO & THE REAL DEAL / THE BOHICAS / THE GARDEN / THE HEARTS / THE LYTICS / THE MAGIC GANG / THE MERRYLEES / THE PICTUREBOOKS / THE RIPTIDE MOVEMENT / THE ST PIERRE SNAKE INVASION / THE YOUNG BENJAMINS / THIS BE THE VERSE / THOMSTON / THE THURSTON MOORE BAND / TOBIAS JESSO JR / TOPS / TOR MILLER / TURBOWOLF / TWERPS / TWIN WILD / USA NAILS / VÉRITÉ / VILDE TUV / VODUN / VOGUE DOTS / WALKING ON CARS / WARD THOMAS / YAK / YOSI HORIKAWA / ZUN ZUN EGUI

As usual a whole load of stuff I haven't heard (that's kind of the idea)but plenty I have.

Tickets from your ususal online agencies or likely cheaper at Resident.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Refreshingly haven't heard of any of that lot, which means more new artists to discover. Will definitely be heading to resident, the £6.50 transaction (on top of the £5 booking fee!) can do one. I cannot understand how a ticket with a 'face value' of £49.50 is on sale at £60 from the official outlet. Still, The Great Escape is always an excellent three days and I shall look forward to it as always.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Refreshingly haven't heard of any of that lot, which means more new artists to discover. Will definitely be heading to resident, the £6.50 transaction (on top of the £5 booking fee!) can do one. I cannot understand how a ticket with a 'face value' of £49.50 is on sale at £60 from the official outlet. Still, The Great Escape is always an excellent three days and I shall look forward to it as always.

You've heard of Thurston Moore!

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sonic-youth-mn0000755156

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It feels more like a hipster marathon every year. Can already envisage the honking queues for Django, Thurston Moore Band, Slaves and all that. Not worth £60.

I find that there is always enough at the festival to keep me interested, the fun is seeing bands for the first time not the recognised names. The thursday always seems to be the best day as the weekenders have yet to hit town and you can get into pretty much anything.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It feels more like a hipster marathon every year. Can already envisage the honking queues for Django, Thurston Moore Band, Slaves and all that. Not worth £60.

Whilst I have some sympathy with your point, especially with how good The Alternative Escape has become in recent years, you can easily get £60's worth out of the ticket. The last time I didn't get into a band I really wanted to see was Holy ****, which was 2008 or 2009. Planning, realism and options are the keys.

It's not the sort of festival you want to turn up to on the day on a whim, having done no research, with no knowledge of the size of the venues. You would literally spend the weekend moving from queue to queue.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Huh!?! You can spend £60 going to see one band these days- even if you pick and choose 4 or 5 bands over the three days and plan appropriately there is still more than enough entertainment to justify the price.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Huh!?! You can spend £60 going to see one band these days- even if you pick and choose 4 or 5 bands over the three days and plan appropriately there is still more than enough entertainment to justify the price.

Actually, yes, so many of the bands at TGE regularly command £60 ticket prices (and that's not before the booking fee lolol!) when they visit town. I love "planning appropriately" for gigs as well!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Actually, yes, so many of the bands at TGE regularly command £60 ticket prices (and that's not before the booking fee lolol!) when they visit town. I love "planning appropriately" for gigs as well!

If you got the super early bird it was barely £40 with a booking fee but let's stick at the £60 postion, that's £20 a day.

You can easily see 10 bands a day, that's £2 a band. With very little drama you'll see two bands a day that will be charging 10+ for gigs (an early headliner and a late headliner.)

By all means have a pop at TGE but I don't think you can really question the value of the ticket to a committed music fan.

Even if you begrudge the ticket, the Alternative Escape is a great weekend now and that's only here because of the main event.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wish peolle wouldn't publish lists like this every year. I know I am getting old, but this sort of thing emphasis the fact.

I haven't heard of anyone on that list...although the Alabama mob looks interesting if they play lynerd skynerd type stuff, I may go along to that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was at a party at Adam French's house on Saturday night, as I play cricket with his dad, he's got a great voice

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I wish peolle wouldn't publish lists like this every year. I know I am getting old, but this sort of thing emphasis the fact.

I haven't heard of anyone on that list...although the Alabama mob looks interesting if they play lynerd skynerd type stuff, I may go along to that.

That is actually one of the reasons why the TGE is such good value, it's a chance to check out stuff you may never have given a second thought.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

I listen to multiple new albums a week and have heard only 2/3 on that list!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thread divert - Let's have some of your favourite TGE shows.

The Gossip @ The Beach Club
British Sea Power @ Spiegeltent
The Besnard Lakes @ King and Queen
Bo Ningen @ The Hope
Factory Floor @ Concorde
Phantom Band @ Dome Studio
Grumbling Fur @ Green Door Store
Klaxons @ Pressure Point
Yeasayer @ Barfly
Crystal Antlers @ Hectors House
Foals @ Horatios
The Joy Formidable @ Water Margin
Wild Beasts @ Pavillion Theatre
Warpaint @ Horatios
Gang Gang Dance @ Pavillion Theatre
Braids @ Horatios
EMA @ Horatios
Odonis Odonis @ Fitzherberts
Pond @ Fitzherberts
The Longcut @ Pressure Point
Mac De Marco @ Green Door Store

Gate to memory lane here - http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/greatescape

I've missed all the Haim, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Alt-J, Bon Iver (I was about 3 from the front of the queue for that one), xx, London Grammar type gigs....

Last edited:

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Thread divert - Let's have some of your favourite TGE shows.

The Gossip @ The Beach Club
British Sea Power @ Spiegeltent
The Besnard Lakes @ King and Queen
Bo Ningen @ The Hope
Factory Floor @ Concorde
Grumbling Fur @ Green Door Store
Klaxons @ Pressure Point
Yeasayer @ Barfly
Crystal Antlers @ Hectors House
Foals @ Horatios
The Joy Formidable @ Water Margin
Wild Beasts @ Pavillion Theatre
Warpaint @ Horatios
Gang Gang Dance @ Pavillion Theatre
Braids @ Horatios
EMA @ Horatios
Odonis Odonis - Fitzherberts
Pond - Fitzherberts
The Longcut @ Pressure Point
Mac De Marco @ Green Door Store

Gate to memory lane here - http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/greatescape

I've missed all the Haim, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Alt-J, Bon Iver (I was about 3 from the front of the queue for that one), xx, London Grammar type gigs....

Three that still stand out for me are:

The Duke Spirit @ Audio
EMA @ Middle Street
The Black Angels @ Volks Tavern

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Off the top of my head

Bon Iver @ The Pressure Point
Hey Rosetta @ Life
Stonefield/Lonely the Brave/Von Hertzen Bros @ Concorde
Kate Miller Heidke @ Komedia & Speigeltent
Courtney Barnett @ Komedia
Chateau marmont @ Digital
BSP @ Spiegeltent
Royal Blood @ Corn Exchange

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Last year Future Islands at Digital and Jon Hopkins at the Corn Exchange, the year before Parquet Courts at The Haunt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here