Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford fire anniversary.

Just wondering if brighton fans are marking this tragic advent,lots of other clubs marking it with donations to Bradford burns unit. Millwall £1000 Chelsea £25000 Darford fans brought a wreath to the memorial,have been lots of other clubs chipping in,would be nice if we could mark the 30th anniversary.

Attachments

• DSC00690.JPG
    DSC00690.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 619

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
[MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] should be able to confirm if BHA have made a donation. Not seen anything on offical site or Argus myself.

Jimmy Grimble

Truly shocking. I'm sure the club will be doing something. If not they will definitely be open to suggestions. Might be worth contacting them if anyone has an idea.

As an aside, the list of those who passed away is predominantly older folk. Is that part the reason it doesn't receive as much coverage as Hillsborough? Not viewed as being as tragic a loss of life? Apologies if that is insensitive or off the mark.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
A very sad day ,following Aldershot at that time there were so many lower league grounds it could of happened at .If anything thing from that terrible day was clubs getting their houses in order and having to refurb grounds to maker it safer for everyone .RIP the 56.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure something will be done: equally, it's January, & the anniversary isn't until May. No doubt appropriate tributes will be made closer to the time.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
what an awful event that was.

i suspect quite a few on here were at the goldstone that day against sheff utd and witnessed what happened on the pitch after the game.Then you get back in your car and listen to the radio to not only hear about bradford but a young lad died at Birmingham after possibly the worst riot ever seen inside a football stadium in this country.

when you finally get home you have the pictures on the TV and that poor poor man burning for everyone to see,combined with an obviously shaken commentator.

Makes you wonder how football ever survived

Having watched Bradford four times this season and i realise what a decent bunch they are! Chelsea V Bradford was the 12th game in my fa cup sequence and i was struggling with a ticket! At 2am i got a message from a Bradford fan that if i didn't have a ticket by 2pm to message him and he would sell for face value his ticket outside the bridge and he would listen on the radio. With lots of other fans/clubs marking the 30th anniversary it would be a shame not to mark the occasion.The Bradford burns unit is not a bad cause for any funds.

I didn't take his ticket not for that game,plenty of chelsea tickets knocking around on the day.

I'm sure something will be done: equally, it's January, & the anniversary isn't until May. No doubt appropriate tributes will be made closer to the time.

It was just a nudge as every game opposition teams are paying tribute and it feels like any time this year is acceptable.
But May is of course the most appropriate time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Truly shocking. I'm sure the club will be doing something. If not they will definitely be open to suggestions. Might be worth contacting them if anyone has an idea.

As an aside, the list of those who passed away is predominantly older folk. Is that part the reason it doesn't receive as much coverage as Hillsborough? Not viewed as being as tragic a loss of life? Apologies if that is insensitive or off the mark.
At Bradford City they were all sitting down. The political orthodoxy that was pushed after Hillsborough was that the standing up to watch football was 'unsafe', and Bradford was an unwelcome reminder that it was the stadia and the stewarding that were the problem, not the concept of whether you stood or sat to watch football. Plus of course there was no police cover-up at Bradford.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It was a tragic event that was watch live on TV by millions, I'll never forget seeing some poor guy running on fire. A tragically maintained stadium that was an accident waiting to happen

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here