Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle appoint Carver

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Jones - 4 points from 6......just saying

Take your point, but generally speaking the honeymoon period for these guys is usually very short. Having said that, 1 point from 4 games suggests he hasn't even had that! :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't think of a number 2 that has ever stepped up successfully.

Not sure how successful people would call his reign at West Ham (depends who you speak to), but Harry Redknapp was, infamously, Billy Bonds' number two, before showing massive comradely solidarity when Bonds was sacked, and eagerly accepting the main job. Bonds still despises him :lolol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Geordies will rue this decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if NUFC failed to gain a single win under Carver. He is the Sami of the PL.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't agree with the sentiment in this thread. To me, it looks like Newcastle have identified the man they want for the job but he's not available. Whether he's available in the summer or not is another matter, but they've not been able to appoint a manager they think has the longevity they're looking for. I have more respect for that, than just appointing some absolute randomer they're then stuck with. By appointing Carver they've got a bloke who will give everything for the club, can't expect to keep the job beyond the summer anyway and they've now got time to source and seduce(!) their long term choice.

I think this is a wise move, and a very prudent decision. They're going nowhere in the league, as usual, and this gives them the chance to hire the person they really want for the job. If that's De Boer as was widely reported in the last few weeks, it's worth the wait. It's the cheap option, but it gives Newcastle fans the Geordie they've always wanted as manager and it gives Carver the chance to make a name for himself. Personally, I think it's a very good move.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Going for the cheap option , funny if they went into free fall and went down

Carver isn't always a cheaper option. Sometimes it's better than a champagne manager.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I don't agree with the sentiment in this thread. To me, it looks like Newcastle have identified the man they want for the job but he's not available. Whether he's available in the summer or not is another matter, but they've not been able to appoint a manager they think has the longevity they're looking for. I have more respect for that, than just appointing some absolute randomer they're then stuck with. By appointing Carver they've got a bloke who will give everything for the club, can't expect to keep the job beyond the summer anyway and they've now got time to source and seduce(!) their long term choice.

I think this is a wise move, and a very prudent decision. They're going nowhere in the league, as usual, and this gives them the chance to hire the person they really want for the job. If that's De Boer as was widely reported in the last few weeks, it's worth the wait. It's the cheap option, but it gives Newcastle fans the Geordie they've always wanted as manager and it gives Carver the chance to make a name for himself. Personally, I think it's a very good move.

Oh, you're still a boring old fart then.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Number Two, when Dr Evil got put away.All seemed to go wrong when he went back to being a number two.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

warberton at Brentford isn't. Doin too bad !! I think wise move by Newcastle so as to get the right guy in summer as posted earlier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here