Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storm - North Eastern USA

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Really looking forward to this - not.

Morning news mentioned the word "historic". 2 feet in 24 hours apparently in NYC.

Hope no one has booked to fly over here in the next couple of days!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
De Blasio trying to make sure he doesn't cock it up like Bloomberg did in 2009. A couple of Brit colleagues due to fly out tomorrow - now delayed till friday

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sure I read somewhere that a a foot of snow is equal to 1 Inch of rain. Ergo two feet is only 2 Inches in 24 hours which is not really biblical or apocalyptic, Methinks the Mayor is covering his arse.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm sure I read somewhere that a a foot of snow is equal to 1 Inch of rain. Ergo two feet is only 2 Inches in 24 hours which is not really biblical or apocalyptic, Methinks the Mayor is covering his arse.

He may very well be - but given the amount of closures we are seeing here as well game cancellations (1st Knicks match off since Sandy) - I think its a bit more than that!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Snow drifts, rain doesn't. 45mph winds will be driving the snow.

It looks like this:

93b4fc7bfc30f7ada88802301a0473da.jpg

Motorway just so. of Boston, Blizzard of '78...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It looks like this:

Good point, I forgot the drifting. Being Sussex born and bred I've rarely seen more than a couple of inches.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

It looks like this:

My wife and my in-laws (who are from Boston) were pictured on the front page of their local paper walking to the shops the morning after that infamous blizzard of '78. They all seem to be having a jolly nice time of it.

As Portlander can testify, getting a fresh foot of snow every day or so isn't at all unusual in New England when it really gets going. And it doesn't melt during the day. This kind of "snowmaggedon" hype really kicks in when it hits New York too, it seems.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reminds me of Devon in 1978. I was 11, our school was closed for 2 weeks and it was about the same before a single piece of traffic moved down our road when a tractor with a scoop in the front cleared a roof-height drift.

At Heathrow now, everything NYC/Boston is cancelled.

Good point, I forgot the drifting. Being Sussex born and bred I've rarely seen more than a couple of inches.
I've known drifting in our road at Firle that has left snow filling all the space between the tops of the roadside hedges on both sides of the road. About 1986, if I'm not mistaken.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've known drifting in our road at Firle that has left snow filling all the space between the tops of the roadside hedges on both sides of the road. About 1986, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry M'lud, when I say Sussex I mean West Sussex, to wit, the balmy sub tropical oasis of Worthing. I won't contradict you though just because you are a Northerer !:thumbsup:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Looking out over 42nd Street from our offices, starting to turn into an ice rink. Off to get the subway shortly before everything starts shutting down. Tuesday declared a snow day at our office.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We're good for 100" a year here -- I'm about 20 mi no. of Portlander.

The met office is right in my town. It's like having a $30 million home weather station, complete with Doppler radar.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
20 + Inches expected with 75mph winds in places. Total shutdown of all "mass transit" in NYC as of 11PM local time tonight and all flights cancelled from the 3 airports, if that happened here people would moan like no tomorrow - but there is no alternative.

(PS New York - fancy giving us a bit of snow ?)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here