Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's never his fault...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What strikes me most is how he looks like Dracula in that photo

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Can't see anything in that article that suggests GP is claiming that Sunderlands current situation is not his fault - quite the reverse ???
Err... Which bit of his stuck record message "My possession obsessed football is the modern way. The fans are stupid and need to be more patient" is him accepting the blame...?

I know that in other places he will say "it is my responsibility - we need to be more direct" but he doesn't really mean it and he will still keep peddling the same tediously negative football.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think Gus' issue is that he is seemingly unwilling (or unable) to flex his style when he doesn't have the personnel to deliver what he wants. At certain points during his tenure here, he did have the tools within the squad to play the style that he wanted, and I think we'll all agree that it was brilliant to watch when it worked. However, his insistence in trying to fit square pegs into round holes when players were unavailable was so frustrating.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Oh FFS he left us years ago
.........................................................get over it ......................he is never coming back

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yet if Mourinho was doing it it would be "genius management" to deflect pressure from his players...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would rather have Hughton to be honest, good manager without all the toys out of the pram throwing. I have heard Hughton and TB are re building to have a real go next season its going to get interesting.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Err... Which bit of his stuck record message "My possession obsessed football is the modern way. The fans are stupid and need to be more patient" is him accepting the blame...?

I know that in other places he will say "it is my responsibility - we need to be more direct" but he doesn't really mean it and he will still keep peddling the same tediously negative football.

So now you make up quotes to suit :facepalm:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is it "crab" football because of all the sideways passing?

I thought it was a typo – and was about to start the fish puns (before I realised I was too late) – but I think what you suggest is maybe what the OP meant to write.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would rather have Hughton to be honest, good manager without all the toys out of the pram throwing. I have heard Hughton and TB are re building to have a real go next season its going to get interesting.

Begs the question as to why Hughton didn't get the job in the summer surely?

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
I was there....

...I could say so much but to keep it short

Loads of unchallenged possession between keeper and back four

Slow build up

Turn back at first sign of challenge

Lonely striker detached from midfield

...and most interestingly for me Gus only left his seat when play broke down and only to talk to Bridcutt. Does that sound like the Gus who blew the playoff game v Palace?

That's my 10p worth anyway.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Sunderland fans have always been a bit SNAPPY.

Perhaps they'd hoped that GP would have helped their side claw their way up the league; maybe with the judicious use of pincer movements in midfield? Still, GP should have a hard enough shell to deflect any criticism these days.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Begs the question as to why Hughton didn't get the job in the summer surely?

Hughton is only the fourth manager appointed by TB.
First he appointed GP, an eager ex pro with very limited experience who talked a good game. Good appointment.
Then OG. Some pedigree as a coach plus success for a season in Israel. Again an appointment outside of the usual pool, and reasonably successful.
Third up, SH. Eager ex pro limited experience, mixed results in an appointment to a top league, talked a good game. Bad appointment, but given his success appointing managers previously you can see why he was still making what could be termed "unconventional" appointments. Hughton probably had the disadvantage at that time of being a staid conventional appointment, TB still felt like having another shot at managing to appoint a successful maverick.
Lesson learned, and at £200m capital investment plus £10m pa I am more than prepared to forgive him the odd failed punt in his career as an owner.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yet if Mourinho was doing it it would be "genius management" to deflect pressure from his players...

"There are players who need the famous 'confidence' word for them to be better and when the stadium is not happy, the players don't express themselves and that makes kick and rush very easy"?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here