Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Worlds Hardest Creature VIII: Second round GAME THREE***

Who's hardest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The knockout stages. You know the drill, two combatants head to head. You have one vote and 24 hours to use it.

The combatants:

Cassowary
Cassowary-420x0.jpg

Group stage: 1st Group D (29 votes)

The Cassowary came through top of possibly the toughest group in the competition thanks to its loyal and vocal following. This large, flightless bird is generally a shy creature but can turn very vicious when provoked, inflicting potentially fatal injuries on its victims. It has terrific speed- capable of reaching 31mph at full tilt, and a jump of about 1.5metres. Its main weapon is its feet. Its middle toe is a five inch dagger claw capable of ripping through its victims stomach. Is this enough to see it through against what is a very tough opponent?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary

Hippo
mpm-Heartbroken_Hippo2-469120.jpg

Group stage: 3rd group C(17 votes)

This former champ had a much tougher time of it in the group stages than might have been expected, garnering just 11.72% of the vote. Nonetheless, it is one of the greats of the competition being a former winner and a perennial in the knock out stages. It possesses everything you want in a WHC competitor. An ill tempered beast it possesses great size and strength allied with wanton, unpredictable aggression. A herbivore by nature(although it has been noted to it carrion) it's aggressiveness doesn't come from the need to hunt, rather it is an innate general aggressiveness. It will fight with anything and everything and is known to attack passing boats just for the fun of it. It's enormous incisor and canine teeth(up to 40 and50cm respectively in size) are sharpened continually by the hippo grinding its teeth together and are used solely for fighting. They live in the same areas as Africa's largest apex predators but very, very rarely are they considered as prey due to their immense strength and aggression.
Does it have the support to see off the Cassowary? You decide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Those budgies on Hippo's back don't seem particularly terrified of this fearsome predator. They wouldn't DARE take such liberties with Cassowary.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Those budgies on Hippo's back don't seem particularly terrified of this fearsome predator. They wouldn't DARE take such liberties with Cassowary.

I think you'll find that photo was taken seconds before the Hippo barrel rolled and crushed the little f*ckers, hence his look of firm displeasure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think you'll find that photo was taken seconds before the Hippo barrel rolled and crushed the little f*ckers, hence his look of firm displeasure.

I prefer to think Hippo is SCREAMING for a game warden: 'Help! Somebody! I've got budgies on me back!"

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As I've mentioned many times before, I wish I had a little hippo-style tail to flap away any unwanted nuggets or winnets dangling from my rear. Life would be so much easier, I feel.
I've voted for the hippo as no beak has the penetrate that fatty pachyderm. I would say a woodpecker going at it for 25 minutes would finally break through, and the admirable yawnster of the shallow would probably only accept 18 pecks before crushing the winged botherer.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hippo.

An African friend once said you don't go into water where there's a hippo about

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Attacking passing boats for the fun of it" - that's some good quality HEADMENTAL from the Hippo. His "great size" counts AGAINST his hardness though (obviously), not FOR him, so not sure why that's mentioned in a positive light.

Cassowary.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
"Attacking passing boats for the fun of it" - that's some good quality HEADMENTAL from the Hippo. His "great size" counts AGAINST his hardness though (obviously), not FOR him, so not sure why that's mentioned in a positive light.

Cassowary.

Oh, come now Mellotron. Attacking an object containing the animals that possess the biggest threat to your existence is pretty impressive. Even more so when you consider there is no need to do it, the hippo just attacks it for the shits and giggles. That, for me, is a good insight into its mentality. Maybe for you it isn't? O.K. Lets look a little more at their respective attitudes.

The Cassowary is very shy(not my words, Wikipedia's...which, as far as I'm aware has no interest in The WHC contest...) only becoming aggressive when provoked. The Hippo, on the other hand, is a highly aggressive and unpredictable animal which is indiscriminately ill-tempered(again the words of wiki).

How do their differing personalities play out? Well, for the Cassowary it means their habitat is endangered by wild pigs. They are being bullied out of their home. They are also endangered by attacks from dogs. Dogs. Household pets. A serious threat to the Cassowaries existence comes from Lassie and her friends. In contrast, the Hippo lives in the same space as Africa's biggest and fiercest apex predators. Guess what? None of the apex predators prey on Hippos and none of them are driving the Hippo out of its habitat.

While the Cassowary is shy and only fights when provoked or cornered the Hippo does it for fun. Not only that it's massive, sharp teeth have only one purpose - fighting. Something they don't even need to do. And they deliberately sharpen them by constantly grinding them. Think about that. They have evolved massive, sharp, deadly teeth which they constantly sharpen for the express purpose of indulging in something that they don't need to do. That is hard. Harder than anything a Cassowary can or does do.

The Cassowary might look the part but its an imposter. The Hippo is the real deal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh, come now Mellotron. Attacking an object containing the animals that possess the biggest threat to your existence is pretty impressive. Even more so when you consider there is no need to do it, the hippo just attacks it for the shits and giggles. That, for me, is a good insight into its mentality. Maybe for you it isn't? O.K. Lets look a little more at their respective attitudes.

The Cassowary is very shy(not my words, Wikipedia's...which, as far as I'm aware has no interest in The WHC contest...) only becoming aggressive when provoked. The Hippo, on the other hand, is a highly aggressive and unpredictable animal which is indiscriminately ill-tempered(again the words of wiki).

How do their differing personalities play out? Well, for the Cassowary it means their habitat is endangered by wild pigs. They are being bullied out of their home. They are also endangered by attacks from dogs. Dogs. Household pets. A serious threat to the Cassowaries existence comes from Lassie and her friends. In contrast, the Hippo lives in the same space as Africa's biggest and fiercest apex predators. Guess what? None of the apex predators prey on Hippos and none of them are driving the Hippo out of its habitat.

While the Cassowary is shy and only fights when provoked or cornered the Hippo does it for fun. Not only that it's massive, sharp teeth have only one purpose - fighting. Something they don't even need to do. And they deliberately sharpen them by constantly grinding them. Think about that. They have evolved massive, sharp, deadly teeth which they constantly sharpen for the express purpose of indulging in something that they don't need to do. That is hard. Harder than anything a Cassowary can or does do.

The Cassowary might look the part but its an imposter. The Hippo is the real deal.

Eh? Read mine again. I was saying attacking boats is a GOOD thing, especially as it's needless.

I'm a fan of the hippo. I prefer Cassowary but I can see the argument for the Hippo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here