Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace supporting journalist has just as little class as his club's owners

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Neil Ashton, Palace fan was sent by the Mail to report on our game. His summary includes several attempted digs at Brighton. Pathetic, snide and unprofessional. Just like Mark Bright whenever asked to comment on us on the BBC. How is it that Paul Hayward and Nick Szczepanik are able to do their jobs with the required amount of fairness and objectivity, but that anyone associated with that grubby team of liars, thieves and rumour mongers is utterly incapable?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Mesut-Ozil-Tomas-Rosicky-target-Gunners.html

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Neil Ashton, Palace fan was sent by the Mail to report on our game. His summary includes several attempted digs at Brighton. Pathetic, snide and unprofessional. Just like Mark Bright whenever asked to comment on us on the BBC. How is it that Paul Hayward and Nick Szczepanik are able to do their jobs with the required amount of fairness and objectivity, but that anyone associated with that grubby team of liars, thieves and rumour mongers is utterly incapable?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Mesut-Ozil-Tomas-Rosicky-target-Gunners.html

Shirley he can't actually put that in .

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the pathetic making needless Brighton/Palace digs might actually be coming from the OP. It is a perfectly good report. From my seat there today I'd agree with almost every word of that Neil Ashton summary as an objective piece for a national paper. It's not the bloody Argus. It wasn't quite the close 3-2 the scoreline suggested, there was a gulf in class. Brighton couldn't live with Arsenal in the first half, and huge credit to an inferior team for bravely sticking at it and at least giving the fans something to shout about.

Personally I would rather Neil Ashton covered our big cup games than many of the other Premier League obsessed journos. Because he supports Palace he actually knows a lot more about Brighton than the rest. He did a couple of great pieces when we knocked Man City out at Withdean.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I've got no issues at all with that report - pretty much spot on. Our defence gets a bit of kicking from Ashton, but that's utterly justified. Our defending for all three goals, especially the last one, was no way good enough.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It is a perfectly good report. From my seat there today I'd agree with almost every word of that Neil Ashton summary as an objective piece for a national paper.

I suggest you read again. I think you may have missed:

"Fool the opposition defence (not difficult with Gordon Greer and Lewis Dunk at the back)"

"Left Brighton’s players eating grass" (There is a fairly obvious sub text to this)

"to stretch the Brighton defence (again, never difficult)"

Of course, these snide remarks would have been made about any other team wouldn't they?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think the pathetic making needless Brighton/Palace digs might actually be coming from the OP. It is a perfectly good report. From my seat there today I'd agree with almost every word of that Neil Ashton summary as an objective piece for a national paper. It's not the bloody Argus. It wasn't quite the close 3-2 the scoreline suggested, there was a gulf in class. Brighton couldn't live with Arsenal in the first half, and huge credit to an inferior team for bravely sticking at it and at least giving the fans something to shout about.

Personally I would rather Neil Ashton covered our big cup games than many of the other Premier League obsessed journos. Because he supports Palace he actually knows a lot more about Brighton than the rest. He did a couple of great pieces when we knocked Man City out at Withdean.

I thought it was a good report. Our fans being over sensitive yet again

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

"Fool the opposition defence (not difficult with Gordon Greer and Lewis Dunk at the back)"

"Left Brighton’s players eating grass" (There is a fairly obvious sub text to this)

Of course, these snide remarks would have been made about any other team wouldn't they?

But he is right.
Greer is slow, predictable and error prone. Dunk is overrated and we don't have a full-back in the club who can defend properly. The whole defence needs an overhaul. Its not good enough for the upper reaches of the Championship. We need Hughes playing at right back, a new left back ( Bennett is hopeless ) and a replacement for Greer.

scooter1

How soon is now?

Agreed that these were little digs, but our defence was pedestrian against a quality Arsenal forward line. At least it should keep the scouts away from dunk for a few months, and yesterdays game also goes to prove that Greer will never play in the premier league

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
But he is right.
Greer is slow, predictable and error prone. Dunk is overrated and we don't have a full-back in the club who can defend properly. The whole defence needs an overhaul. Its not good enough for the upper reaches of the Championship. We need Hughes playing at right back, a new left back ( Bennett is hopeless ) and a replacement for Greer.

Bennett will get better under Hughton. You mention Greer is slow then suggest putting a 34 year old Hughes in at right back where you need to be pretty quick. Much rather Bruno there than Hughes

Jan 17, 2015
statto, once again your small club talk, neil ashton got it spot, brighton 1st half were outclassed, greer and dunk made to
look pedestrian. there was a huge gulf in the sides, and brighton showed a bit of spirit in the 2nd half.
brighton did ok but your never gonna be the club you want brighton to be unless unless unlesss you as fans get your small time
"we hate palace" behaviour out of you. until you can support your team properly, your never ever gonna be amongst the big boys.
sure, youre have days like this thats whats the cups for, so little clubs can have there moments of in the spotlight!!
ashton was spot on, get over it!!

Northern Monkey

Dec 5, 2012
Look at some of the goals we've shipped recently and you can understand why people might not rate our defence and the players in it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not really sure what the issue is with the article. I thought it actually flattered us a bit. It was like watching men against boys for long periods yesterday, as you would expect as they are one of the very best teams in Europe. The only player who would get anywhere near their side was ince who I thought kept the game tight and the score sensible. That was the only thing missing from that report.

statto, once again your small club talk, neil ashton got it spot, brighton 1st half were outclassed, greer and dunk made to
look pedestrian. there was a huge gulf in the sides, and brighton showed a bit of spirit in the 2nd half.
brighton did ok but your never gonna be the club you want brighton to be unless unless unlesss you as fans get your small time
"we hate palace" behaviour out of you. until you can support your team properly, your never ever gonna be amongst the big boys.
sure, youre have days like this thats whats the cups for, so little clubs can have there moments of in the spotlight!!
ashton was spot on, get over it!!

Morning Neil.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Any defence could have been made to look pedestrian by Arsenal's movement. I have no problem with any journalist calling it as it is. Reports in other newspapers have managed to do this without suggesting that Greer and Dunk are unintelligent defenders, which they are not, and do not have the reputation of being, that our players are donkeys or that anyone can score goals against Brighton's defence. The last is nonsense when you consider that before this season we have had one of the best defensive records in our division for a number of years.

This is the kind of rivals point scoring which is perfectly acceptable on message boards, but doesn't belong in a professional report. Any of you supporting his comments should ask yourselves whether he would have made them had it not been Brighton.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I went to read the article, expecting to come back with comments about the OP being paranoid and reading things in to it that weren't there.

But I noticed exactly these comments, which forced me to agree with you. Most of it is OK, but those are unnecessary. I don't think he mentioned the "soft underbelly" of the Arsenal defence, which I have seen mentioned elsewhere, which enable us to score two good goals.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
No problem with this report. Called it pretty much as I saw it.

Our centre backs yesterday were woeful. Yes Arsenal were a different class, but we didn't half make it easy for them.
Dunk didn't get anywhere near Walcott for the first goal.
As for Greer's positioning for the second goal, well just take a look for yourself. Didn't need players as good as Arsenals to play through that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here