Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calde and Greer

Members

Calde and Greer

0 Not allowed!
    I was at the game today and as pleasing as the performance was I couldn't help but notice we were very slow defensively. The problem for me was that Greer and Calderon are just not quick enough and often struggled to keep up with the Arsenal attack. I appreciate that Arsenal play a very fluid and quick style of football but even against Championship opponents I find myself anxious when the opposing striker runs at our defence.

Of course I, like most fans, have a lot of respect for both of them for all the hard work they have put in at the Albion but, surely it's time we found someone new?
    You scored none, we scored three...

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by WeTheSouthStand View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was at the game today and as pleasing as the performance was I couldn't help but notice we were very slow defensively. The problem for me was that Greer and Calderon are just not quick enough and often struggled to keep up with Theo Wallcott, Ozill etc. But then again not many players in the world are. Come to think of it the point I was going to make is stupid.
      Think before you post.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Apologies, I hadn't read that before posting.
      You scored none, we scored three...

0 Not allowed!
      Both had flippy floppy first halves, as did pretty much the whole team but I felt they came back really strongly in the second. I was terrified when Calde got put back to Right-back but he did a sterling job for the rest of the match.
      Maradona good, Pele better, Leon Best.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Plooks View Post
      Think before you post.
      This. Calde wasn't in defence, until the substitutions were made.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      This. Calde wasn't in defence, until the substitutions were made.
      Also I would not say Calderon is slow either! He is not lightning but he is not a snail either. And he keeps his pace up ALL game.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by WeTheSouthStand View Post
      I was at the game today and as pleasing as the performance was I couldn't help but notice we were very slow defensively. The problem for me was that Greer and Calderon are just not quick enough and often struggled to keep up with the Arsenal attack. I appreciate that Arsenal play a very fluid and quick style of football but even against Championship opponents I find myself anxious when the opposing striker runs at our defence.

Of course I, like most fans, have a lot of respect for both of them for all the hard work they have put in at the Albion but, surely it's time we found someone new?
      You've only just noticed?
      Fresh Nappies wanted, CASH WAITING!
      Honorary Ruffian

0 Not allowed!
      Calderon was not the problem in defence today, Bennett was. If anyone was overawed by the occasion, it was him. Calde was excellent once moved into defence and just about our only attacking outlet in the first half. Regarding Greer, I've felt we needed a long-term replacement for him for some time. As others have said, he is too slow and increasingly easy for good forwards to beat, as shown by Murphy on Wednesday night.

As for Dunk, his big money move may be some while off if today's showing is anything to go by. Should have closed Ozil down for their second, and poor clearance for their third, then he and Greer stood off Rosicky. Okay, you can say he won't face that level of opposition every week, but he will in the Premiership. What was noticeable was that Greer still wouldn't pass to Calderon; on at least one occasion he passed inside, putting us in danger, when Calderon had a clear run forward.
      Last edited by West Hoathly Seagull; 26-01-2015 at 01:45.
      Made in Brighton, delivered in Rustington

0 Not allowed!
      our defence is not a solid as two seasons ago ...dunk has not reached upson's mark and bennett is certainly no bridge , some very questionable passing going in in defence trying neat little 3m passes inside your own penalty area whilst under pressure is not a good idea against the likes of arsenal.

0 Not allowed!
      Our return match in the Champions League against Arsenal is going to be a problem, then.

Oh!