Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calde and Greer

WeTheSouthStand

Apr 6, 2013
Peacehaven
I was at the game today and as pleasing as the performance was I couldn't help but notice we were very slow defensively. The problem for me was that Greer and Calderon are just not quick enough and often struggled to keep up with the Arsenal attack. I appreciate that Arsenal play a very fluid and quick style of football but even against Championship opponents I find myself anxious when the opposing striker runs at our defence.

Of course I, like most fans, have a lot of respect for both of them for all the hard work they have put in at the Albion but, surely it's time we found someone new? :albion2:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Both had flippy floppy first halves, as did pretty much the whole team but I felt they came back really strongly in the second. I was terrified when Calde got put back to Right-back but he did a sterling job for the rest of the match.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I was at the game today and as pleasing as the performance was I couldn't help but notice we were very slow defensively. The problem for me was that Greer and Calderon are just not quick enough and often struggled to keep up with the Arsenal attack. I appreciate that Arsenal play a very fluid and quick style of football but even against Championship opponents I find myself anxious when the opposing striker runs at our defence.

Of course I, like most fans, have a lot of respect for both of them for all the hard work they have put in at the Albion but, surely it's time we found someone new? :albion2:

You've only just noticed?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Calderon was not the problem in defence today, Bennett was. If anyone was overawed by the occasion, it was him. Calde was excellent once moved into defence and just about our only attacking outlet in the first half. Regarding Greer, I've felt we needed a long-term replacement for him for some time. As others have said, he is too slow and increasingly easy for good forwards to beat, as shown by Murphy on Wednesday night.

As for Dunk, his big money move may be some while off if today's showing is anything to go by. Should have closed Ozil down for their second, and poor clearance for their third, then he and Greer stood off Rosicky. Okay, you can say he won't face that level of opposition every week, but he will in the Premiership. What was noticeable was that Greer still wouldn't pass to Calderon; on at least one occasion he passed inside, putting us in danger, when Calderon had a clear run forward.

Last edited:

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
our defence is not a solid as two seasons ago ...dunk has not reached upson's mark and bennett is certainly no bridge , some very questionable passing going in in defence trying neat little 3m passes inside your own penalty area whilst under pressure is not a good idea against the likes of arsenal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The defence will need a major overhaul in the summer. A permanent left-back and at least one centre-half, probably two, will be the minimum of requirements.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Certainly agree about Greer. Either Hughes or Halford would be a better partner for Dunk right now. Calderon might have another season as a squad utility player, but we do need another top class right back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Greer's pace has been a big issue in a large number of the goals we've conceded in the past couple of months. Always a fan of his passing range but his pace is really starting to expose him, even at lower Championship level.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Greer's pace has been a big issue in a large number of the goals we've conceded in the past couple of months. Always a fan of his passing range but his pace is really starting to expose him, even at lower Championship level.

add that to his awful positioning and decision making and I'm afraid we have a written off defender.

For recent evidence please watch:
Goal conceded against Brentford.
First Goal conceded against Ipswich.
The second Arsenal goal last night, honestly please have a look at his position when the pass is played through to Ozil.... then make your mind up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here