Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were we right to blow the living s**t out of Iraq?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
America wanted massive retaliation after the atrocity of 911.
Blair promises UK's backing 100%.
Enemy identified as Al Qaeda.
Afghanistan invaded to try and root out Bin Laden.
Story emerges that Mohammed Atta had met an Iraqi intelligence agent in Prague. Proof enough for Dick Cheney, who declared on CNN that it was “pretty well confirmed” that the Iraq government had colluded with al-Qaeda.
Bush mentions an Axis of Evil, regimes who fecking hate America: North Korea, Iran, Iraq.
Blair mentions weapons of mass destruction.

Conclusion: We blow the s**t out of Iraq.

"Shock and Awe" or "Shock and Flawed"?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was patently BS from the outset. B.Liar made a pact with Bush to 'deliver' the UK's support and lied, deceived and coerced the country until it happened.

B.Liar is guilty of War Crimes, pure and similar.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It was patently BS from the outset. B.Liar made a pact with Bush to 'deliver' the UK's support and lied, deceived and coerced the country until it happened.

B.Liar is guilty of War Crimes, pure and similar.
There is a massive legacy of crippled and dead young men and women in the forces plus untold thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan for what?

Democracy ? Nether country is really any better for the invasions.
Despite the spin from the brass, we achieved nothing of note here.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is a massive legacy of crippled and dead young men and women in the forces plus untold thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan for what?

Democracy ? Nether country is really any better for the invasions.

the people of Afghanistan may disagree with you there, their lifes are far from the tyranical medieval world of the Taliban imposed. Iraq not so much. score draw?

though Iraq would have collapsed sooner or later.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think all normal people had a lot of issues with the lead up to the war, and these seem to have been well founded. The cover ups and lack of transparency then and since lead me to think we shouldn't have got into bed with Bush and saved our money for the current fight.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Blair lied to the British public, and should be bought to task. The Americans went to war because it suited them and certain congress members with interests in the oil and arms industries. Completely sold a pup, and the poor people who ultimately pay the price are the people on the ground be our soldiers or innocent civilians caught up in the aftermath that is still reverberating around the region and beyond. We sent in missiles to kill Sadam when he could have been taken out like Bin Laden or however you spell it, and as a result we have people beheadings on the streets of London as a direct result of Blair blindly following a fool, it makes me so angry he is directly responsible...... Blair is a ****

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The west dictates that all country leaders should be held accountable for crimes against humanity, yet are able to walk free from any responsibility themselves. We are a contradiction and it has all been shamefully done in our name.

The day that Bush and Blair are convicted of starting an illegal war will be the day that we will see that some justice has been done. I’m not even a Muslim and I am angry about it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The west dictates that all country leaders should be held accountable for crimes against humanity, yet are able to walk free from any responsibility themselves. We are a contradiction and it has all been shamefully done in our name.

The day that Bush and Blair are convicted of starting an illegal war will be the day that we will see that some justice has been done. I’m not even a Muslim and I am angry about it.

A war that has made the world a more dangerous place.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If you don't know the correct answer and still think we were right to blow the shit out of Iraq you either aren't paying attention or you must be a ****ing sadist!

Also how does 'revenge for 9/11' even come into it? Iraq or Saddam weren't the ones who orchestrated it. The Iraq war was nothing more than NATO profiting through make believe. Saddam was a tyrant but then again so is Mugabi and we leave him to it? The way Saddam was hung on TV like a pay per view event was disgusting and caused far more 'terrorism' as a result. The Iraq war was nothing other than bullying for profit!

Blair and Bush should be facing Prison terms for what they did.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A war that has made the world a more dangerous place.

Totally x 100, and what makes it even more crazy is that this illegal Iraq war was being planned before the illegal attack on the WTC. In fact Bush wasn't happy about having to go to Afghanistan, and that's why he was quick to get out. More interested in Saddam than what he ever was with Bin Ladin.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If you don't know the correct answer and still think we were right to blow the shit out of Iraq you either aren't paying attention or you must be a ****ing sadist!

Also how does 'revenge for 9/11' even come into it? Iraq or Saddam weren't the ones who orchestrated it. The Iraq war was nothing more than NATO profiting through make believe. Saddam was a tyrant but then again so is Mugabi and we leave him to it? The way Saddam was hung on TV like a pay per view event was disgusting and caused far more 'terrorism' as a result. The Iraq war was nothing other than bullying for profit!

Blair and Bush should be facing Prison terms for what they did.

Yep, I thought the hanging of Saddam was disgusting and something out of the middle ages. If that is how the democratic west leads by example we need to modernise just as much as the Middle East.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If you think Tony Blair was responsible for the Iran War etc I think you are giving him far more credit than he deserves. We are not a major country in the great scheme of things and the only influence we have had is reining in the USA in their excesses.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If you think Tony Blair was responsible for the Iran War etc I think you are giving him far more credit than he deserves. We are not a major country in the great scheme of things and the only influence we have had is reining in the USA in their excesses.

He played his role and got rewarded for his efforts. He is as to blame as anyone else!

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Of course he has to answer for his actions but this was a US invasion. Do you know how insignificant our forces were?They were token!

The numbers are irrelevant, we still went to war under Blairs command and lies of WOMD. He needs to face trial.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you go in you you must have an exit strategy otherwise you leave a worst situation than before you went in and wasted our boys and girls lives and achived nothing.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Loosely related, there's a great podcast called Radiolab by NPR in the US. They did a podcast recently called 60 Words which goes into the reaction to 9/11 and the Congress decision to allow the President such a wide range or retaliatory powers. Very interesting and worth a listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here