Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are we so fond of Saudi Arabia ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it just about our trade with them ? REALLY ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mark Thatcher probably knows the answer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they are a regional ally, and of course the trade and the oil. if they turn off the oil taps we are rather stuck in the first world.

we could become more independent by exploiting fracking to recover oil right under us. or we could stop driving anywhere, having medicines, computers, synthetic fibres etc and reduce our living standards by a century. we choose to be friendly instead.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't understand the question Mr Questions.

Sorry Smudge and co....... Why are we so fond of them ? They are a dreadful bunch, they really are. An ally in that part of the world ? Trade ? What a bunch of prostitutes our governments are.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sorry Smudge and co....... Why are we so fond of them ? They are a dreadful bunch, they really are. An ally in that part of the world ? Trade ? What a bunch of prostitutes our governments are.

Not just the governments but the people they represent as well.

How long do you think any government in this country would survive if they stopped trading with Saudi Arabia? - Not very long I suspect as energy prices shot up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

They are allies in that they have also been targetting airstrikes against Islamic State. Sometimes you need strange bedfellows in the world. Better the 'devil' you know and all that. It just costs a little in diplomacy and protocol.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because they are regarded- in spite of their appalling human rights record- as something of a moderate force in a notoriously unstable region. Their people might have no power whatsoever, but that also means they don't get to vote in someone like Saddam Hussein or Assad when the mood takes them. The absolute rule of a monarchy is acceptable when it suits us, I suppose.

That, and they keep all our cars running, more significantly.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Money. Most of the trouble in the World has had oil behind it somewhere. Who has the most?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I always thought it was because we saw Saudi Arabia as a beacon of freedom of speech (that thing David Cameron and other world leaders were marching for in Paris last Sunday), women's rights, democracy, tolerance towards all religions etc, etc.

On the other hand (cue usual jokes), I might have got the wrong end of the stick (cue more jokes) on this one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Because they are regarded- in spite of their appalling human rights record- as something of a moderate force in a notoriously unstable region. Their people might have no power whatsoever, but that also means they don't get to vote in someone like Saddam Hussein or Assad when the mood takes them. The absolute rule of a monarchy is acceptable when it suits us, I suppose.

That, and they keep all our cars running, more significantly.

They have no age of sexual consent over there, so as long as you marry a girl (sex is illegal outside of marriage obviously) and you can at any age then girls as young as 9 are being violated. I've just been reading some shocking stories about this that are hard to comprehend.

Mind you as you say......... As long as our cars are running.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
They have no age of sexual consent over there, so as long as you marry a girl (sex is illegal outside of marriage obviously) and you can at any age then girls as young as 9 are being violated. I've just been reading some shocking stories about this that are hard to comprehend.

Mind you as you say......... As long as our cars are running.

Child abuse underpins all religions and ranges from indoctrination at birth to genital mutilation of both sexes to ritual rape and murder. Its nothing but moral and mental terrorism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here