Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion story... when did it start?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
For me it was in about 1982 when my Dad and Granddad (both RIP) took me to the Goldstone to watch us beat Man City 4-1. I was nine.

Then a year later I cried my little eyes out at half time during the Cup Final replay... and so it began, a lifetime of suffering!

Over to you NSC - when did your love affair begin...

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I have been a bit of a hovering fan of the albion from a young age, but not a serious one, until a couple of seasons ago (sounds like I am a massive JCL already), when I watched Ulloa's hat trick in the sublime 4-1 win against huddersfield, after that I was hooked.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The old man taking me to the West Stand in the very early seventies. Getting there early enough to get a good spot near the tunnel, being stood on our homemade wooden stool the smell of sweet tobacco from a multitude of pipes at full blast always takes me back. Argus on way home, Stop Press results after walking across Hove Park to the car, home for The Generation Game and The Two Ronnies.

Isn't it, wasn't it?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
In the late 90's. My Dad and Grandad took me to a game at the Withdean. Couldn't tell you who it was against. I don't remember much apart from my Grandad's passion about the club. A few weeks later he bought me my first Brighton shirt and I had the micky taken out of me by all my friends who supported Man U. But fair play to my 8 year old self as I defended them to the hilt (even if it was only because my grandad loved the team) and didn't bow to peer pressure. I've supported them ever since.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Went to goldstone a handful of times when really young but really became interested after my first away game as a 12 year old at Lincoln in 1999.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
In the late 90's. My Dad and Grandad took me to a game at the Withdean. Couldn't tell you who it was against. I don't remember much apart from my Grandad's passion about the club. A few weeks later he bought me my first Brighton shirt and I had the micky taken out of me by all my friends who supported Man U. But fair play to my 8 year old self as I defended them to the hilt (even if it was only because my grandad loved the team) and didn't bow to peer pressure. I've supported them ever since.

Similar story to me, think my first game was at the Priestfield aged about 3. Shared a season ticket throughout the Withdean years and also used to get ribbed whenever I wore the shirt. 'Gary Fart' was a particular highlight. Wouldn't have it any other way though, glad my Dad took me to the Albion rather than letting me support a London side

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Next door neighbour's birthday party - Southampton (h) 1979. 0-0 draw but got me interested in professional football. Years of badgering my dad meant I only save a couple of games a season for the first few years until he got us season tickets.

Camicus

When I was 5 way back in 1975 my Dad said "Want to come to the football then boy?" I said yes he said so do you want to go to Southampton or Brighton? Brighton had an aquarium so Brighton it was

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I didn't have a choice really!

My mum was a Season Ticket holder at the Goldstone as was her Dad. She started taking me along a couple of months after I was born in 1994. I was even at the York game that was called off. Both her and her dad had season tickets at Priestfield and Withdean too. When they could get a ticket next to them they'd bring me along and by the time I was 6/7 I was hooked. Even when my dad; A Chelsea fan, offered to get me a season ticket at Stamford Bridge and took me to a couple of games I couldn't be budged. I was Brighton. I got my first season ticket when I was 8(ish), in the second of our back-to-back Championship seasons. Right on the half-way line in the South Stand, Block E, Row F, Seat 137. I missed less than 10 home games (Including cup & friendly games) between that season and when we left Withdean. I also attended a fair few away games, some good, (Play-Off Semi First Leg, 2-0 win at Orient on the terrace) and some not so good (That 5-0 defeat in South London).

Towards the end of the Withdean era I moved over to Block H with a group of my friends and started attending away games regularly. At the age of 20 I've now racked up 50 away grounds and probably close to 500 games. I've been everywhere with this club, from Plymouth to Rochdale. I now sit in the North Stand with the same group of friends, whereas my family sit in the East Stand. My Granddad, one of my idols passed away 2 years ago, just before the second of the Newcastle cup games. Albion lost a fan of 70 years, but the circle of life keeps going and my younger brother now proudly sits in the same seat as our Granddad and is already adding a host of Away Grounds to his own list.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to make it 4 generations of Brighton fans, even though any offspring of mine won't get the joys of sitting in the rain watching Geoff Pitcher and Robbie Pathetic. :lol:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Father took me to the reserves in c1962. My first, first team game was v Bristol Rovers in November 1966. Howard Wilkinson was on the wing and we were 2 0 down with 15 minutes to go, only to win 3 2 with Dave Turner scoring a couple. There was a bit of noise that day and 10k in attendance. How things have changed though !! comfy seat, proper stadium, screens, proper intercom, cover.. Yes life moves on. Much credit goes to Gritt/Knight for saving us and Poyet/Bloom for taking us forward. Sadly a couple of those turned a bit sour but that is human nature, always wanting a bit more. Just like my wife !!!

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I can't remember :ohmy: I think it was in about 1992 at the Goldstone on either Boxing day or New Year's day against one of the Bristol clubs.

I can remember walking up the steps to the north stand and the hair on the back of my neck standing up when everyone started singing Seagulls and that the game finished 0-0.
I think it cost me £6 to get in!

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
My dad came from South London and was a Charlton fan but took me to a few local games at the Goldstone including the Southampton Cup quarter final. I stated going with consistency after Mansfield at home in promotion winning 87/88 season. Nelson and Bremner doing the business!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Wolves in League Cup back in 1969 (gulp) as an 8-year old. Ever-present from 74-79. Probably seen the team play 700+ times. Most overwhelming days are still Hereford and Doncaster on day 1 at Amex (Raw and totally visceral emotional extremes supporting my home town club).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Next door neighbour's birthday party - Southampton (h) 1979. 0-0 draw but got me interested in professional football. Years of badgering my dad meant I only save a couple of games a season for the first few years until he got us season tickets.
Just looked up the teams - didn't realise I had seen Alan Ball play live. Being 8, I don't remember much apart from having Cola Cubes and people shouting at someone called Nobby!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Glory Hunter - Arsenal @ home 1st game in Div 1 as was

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Late sixties for me although the first game I really remember is the 2-8 Bristol Rovers game went with my Uncle who was a massive Bristol City fan and more pissed off than me! Smash and Grab, I'll never forget them two...

Been a regular ever since

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here