Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth bid up to 3 million for a Birmingham teenager

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11180579.AFC_Bournemouth__Cherries_post___15million_losses/

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10989371.Brighton_and_Hove_Albion_posts_losses_of___14_7m/

That's with your average attendances being well over double theirs, bigger sponsorship deals and a whole load of pie sales every home game to boot.

I know Palace fans have very little right to question finances in football but surely it's not hard to see why they're going for it? You've just posted a £10 million loss (only acceptable after FFP was changed) which will surely be more than theirs this season given their income from Lallana and Co.

They'll rightly have to face the music to an extent if they don't make it but investing in who's quite clearly a big talent with a very good chance of an even higher re-sale value isn't THAT outrageous. Signing CMS for similar money, a player who will be 31 in a months time is an example of the exact opposite and there weren't too many people bemoaning that signing at the time!

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but they pocketed a ridiculous and fundamentally undeserved £6million for the Lallana sale

Why undeserved...??? A contract is a contract... We deserve every penny for the very fact that whoever signed him up for Bournemouth, knew enough to recognise the potential talent in him, even as a young kid, and insisted on the 25% sell on fee...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Palace fans posting on a thread about Bournemouth on a Brighton forum? Have you really got nothing better to do at the weekend?

As for Bournemouth, seems completely unsustainable to me and I can see them faltering in the 2nd half of the season, nothing against them though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11180579.AFC_Bournemouth__Cherries_post___15million_losses/

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10989371.Brighton_and_Hove_Albion_posts_losses_of___14_7m/

That's with your average attendances being well over double theirs, bigger sponsorship deals and a whole load of pie sales every home game to boot.

I know Palace fans have very little right to question finances in football but surely it's not hard to see why they're going for it? You've just posted a £10 million loss (only acceptable after FFP was changed) which will surely be more than theirs this season given their income from Lallana and Co.

They'll rightly have to face the music to an extent if they don't make it but investing in who's quite clearly a big talent with a very good chance of an even higher re-sale value isn't THAT outrageous. Signing CMS for similar money, a player who will be 31 in a months time is an example of the exact opposite and there weren't too many people bemoaning that signing at the time!

The £10M loss is the headline figure , losses under FFP rules allow for some costs not to be included so we were well within the permitted £8M loss for the 2013/14 season. The FFP rules were changed but don't come in effect until 2016/17. The money from the players Bournemouth sold or received a cut of a transfer fee will show up in the 2014/15 accounts just as it will be for our accounts with the sale of Ulloa and Buckley.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Has anyone considered that perhaps while Bournemouth's revenues may be lower than Brighton's, they maybe a better run club and are not losing so much money, so are able to afford the odd big signing?? They haven't fallen foul of FFP after all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why undeserved...??? A contract is a contract... We deserve every penny for the very fact that whoever signed him up for Bournemouth, knew enough to recognise the potential talent in him, even as a young kid, and insisted on the 25% sell on fee...

I'm perfectly happy for people to disagree with me on this, and many people obviously do. But it's ridiculous that Bournemouth got anything for Lallana in my opinion. He left you when he was 10, and was sold by Southampton 15 years later. You played such an irrelevant part in his development that it doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged. The contract is a contract, and good on you for scoring such a huge amount of money you did absolutely nothing at all to earn. It highlights that those clauses should expire after a certain period of time, or that Southampton should have been cleverer with buying out the clause earlier. I'm not actually criticising Bournemouth as such, but the money they received is ridiculous when they really didn't do anything to earn it.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
But it's ridiculous that Bournemouth got anything for Lallana in my opinion. He left you when he was 10, and was sold by Southampton 15 years later. You played such an irrelevant part in his development that it doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged.

Our 'irrelevant' part was putting him 'out there' for someone like Southampton to see and want him in the first place... Who knows, if he hadn't been on AFCB's books in the first place, would he have been spotted at all...????

I don't know how long he was with us so I won't comment on that, and I agree that we didn't play any part in his development beyond his departure... But the fact of the matter is, we spotted him, we signed him, we developed him a little, he played for our youth, we realised he had potential and got a decent sell on clause on paper...

There is very little to say other than thx Adam, thx to whoever sorted the deal, and well done to our administrator as the sell on was the one thing he wasn't prepared to give up, during very difficult times for the club...

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Success in the championship does not seem to be all about money.
Those with parachute payments this year seem to be doing about as good
as the other sides relegated from the prem in recent years .
If anything there are less teams yo yoing between the prem and the championship
in recent years despite increased parachute payments.
Now when it comes to the best teams in Europe money seems to matter more
The very best rare talents can only be afforded by a few sides but thankfully
this seems to matter less at championship level.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
The £10M loss is the headline figure , losses under FFP rules allow for some costs not to be included so we were well within the permitted £8M loss for the 2013/14 season. The FFP rules were changed but don't come in effect until 2016/17. The money from the players Bournemouth sold or received a cut of a transfer fee will show up in the 2014/15 accounts just as it will be for our accounts with the sale of Ulloa and Buckley.

That's all relative and informative stuff but it doesn't really explain why your supporters are showing animosity towards Bournemouth for trying to buy a player with huge potential, if they fail to get promoted I can't see them having a problem selling him for a similar figure.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Our 'irrelevant' part was putting him 'out there' for someone like Southampton to see and want him in the first place... Who knows, if he hadn't been on AFCB's books in the first place, would he have been spotted at all...????

I don't know how long he was with us so I won't comment on that, and I agree that we didn't play any part in his development beyond his departure... But the fact of the matter is, we spotted him, we signed him, we developed him a little, he played for our youth, we realised he had potential and got a decent sell on clause on paper...

There is very little to say other than thx Adam, thx to whoever sorted the deal, and well done to our administrator as the sell on was the one thing he wasn't prepared to give up, during very difficult times for the club...

I'm not arguing any of your points, it's all perfectly reasonable but it doesn't change my opinion. I wonder if Southampton at any point did any try and buy out the clause, or whether it was never even thought about.

We had a similar clause for Gareth Barry when he was poached by Aston Villa, we ended up settling the clause and then a few years later he was being linked with an £18million move to Liverpool! Whatever money we got for Barry was equally dubious in my opinion. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have gained anything from Lallana, or that we shouldn't have gained from Aston Villa - lower league clubs need to be protected, but I don't think a windfall over a decade down the line is fair.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I have posted before... roughly 80% of our starting team are from our time in Lg 1 (something that seems to be constantly overlooked). Yes we invested money into that team, but nowhere near the sums thats one quote on here... We sold Grabban for 3 million which we reinvested into Wilson... We recouped roughly 6 million from the Lama sale to Liverpool, which also has been reinvested into the playing side of things... The others were freebies (Gosling/Newcastle, Stanislas/Burnley) and loans (Boruc/Southampton).
Key word there chaps and one, for whatever reason, we're not used too.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The full changes in FFP don't come into effect until the 2016/17 season BUT the allowable loss for next season will increase from £5M to £13M.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
OK folks... Firstly, as an Bournemouth supporter, I like BHA, I grew up in Hove, and if my folks had of taken me to a game before we moved to Bournemouth when I was 9, I would be visiting the AMEX every other week instead of Dean Court... So I don't come on here with any malicious intent or desire to gloat...

BUT, it does amaze me the 'selective' reading that goes on by some on here... As well as the overwhelming knowledge of AFCB players' wages, Owners' intent, and the lack of understanding of where we have come from in the last few years...

As I have posted before... roughly 80% of our starting team are from our time in Lg 1 (something that seems to be constantly overlooked). Yes we invested money into that team, but nowhere near the sums thats one quote on here... We sold Grabban for 3 million which we reinvested into Wilson... We recouped roughly 6 million from the Lama sale to Liverpool, which also has been reinvested into the playing side of things... The others were freebies (Gosling/Newcastle, Stanislas/Burnley) and loans (Boruc/Southampton)

I dont pretend to know anything about our wage structure, BUT, I know that Eddie Howe is Bournemouth through and through and he is not the type of manager to pay sums of money to players that will cripple the club... (my guestimate would be that the vast majority of our squad are on under £10k pw).

Both Howe's and (by all accounts) Demin's vision for the club is long term. Howe will not work with clowns that he doesn't believe in, hence his departure to Burnley, as he simply could not work under Mitchell... He left, Demin took over lock stock, and Howe is here, speaking very highly of the owner whenever asked... Howe is left to get on with his business, The chairman is as genuine a bloke as you'll find, and he has put his money where his mouth is when we really needed it... and Demin signs the cheques and is as silent an owner as you could hope for...

If we were throwing all our eggs into one basket, in a promotion or bust (as stated on here), with the owner wanting a quick buck, we would have bought several players already in this window for X millions... We have signed no one yet... We would have started building ridiculous stands, in prep for increased crowds... Instead we still have our 11k ground selling out, with no sign, yet, of infrastructure being sorted... Prob will end up being another massive temp stand...

Our bidding for this youngster makes sense in my book... 3 million now, and if he is good as the hype, a couple of seasons under Howe and you easily double that fee... Just good business IMO...

On a final note... WE PASSED FFP on every point... So why do people still harp on about it...!!! Move on as the more you go on about it, the more bitter it sounds...

So, as I said, I like BHA. I hope you pick up (which you will now under CH), and I hope you can go on a run and poss squeeze a play off spot... But, the whole 'tinpot', 'FFP', 'Little Bournemouth', 'Don't deserve to be top' moans are just getting boring...

PS... Eddie Howe in all his glory on Footy Focus in a bit if anyone interested on hearing how he has guided us to top :)

Good luck folks... and see you a t the Amex in a few months...

I think the key in that is they spent the funds from the sales on the playing budget. Which we have failed to do.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the key in that is they spent the funds from the sales on the playing budget. Which we have failed to do.

Baldock cost the same as Ulloa
COG cost more than Barnes
Stockdale cost more than PIG

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ambition. Thats all. Have a punt. Imagine if they made it all that investment returned ten fold even if one season. Gotta hope it works tho or they will be ****ed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here