Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers these Indie one hit wonders?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Yay good find! I loved pretty much every single one of those songs, so that's the next few hours of Spotify sorted.

Edit: Actually scrap that, most of them are too depressing for a Friday afternoon.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd disagree with Peter, Bjorn and John being one-hit wonders. They're still going very strong. Also EMF had a whole string of hits from their Schubert Dip album. A great feel good band.

And from that list the proper one-hit wonders that are complete classics are Bran Van 3000's 'Drinking in LA' - an absolute peach of a tune and the album from it (escapes my name) is quite sublime. The other monster tune is Brand New Radicals 'Get What You Give'. That is a top tune in anyone's language.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Seen The Big Pink,The Bravery and CSS live

the latter two are as expected , the Big Pink were much rockier then the Dominos single.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Some great records on there.

Semisonic and Blind Melon have no business being on that list. At all.

Well Semisonic had two hits didn't they (Secret Smile and Closing Time)?? Don't recall them doing much else, but granted not a one hit wonder.

CSS we're huge for a while and certainly not a one hit wonder. Remember seeing them at the Concorde after failing to sneak into the Mondays gig on the pier. Very good fun live, records weren't up too much IMO though.

I did think it was a bit bit harsh on Reef as well but then I was trying to think of another record they did and failed. Plus I saw them at the Tunbridge Wells Forum so they couldn't have done much.

And Babybird as far as I'm concerned they made it as Mark and Lard did a parody of their "hit"

[yt]Q-HRYKGpDHU[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And Babybird as far as I'm concerned they made it as Mark and Lard did a parody of their "hit"

I bloody love the Shirehorses. Their version was miles better than the original. Babybird were a po-faced bunch.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Twang's cover is pretty decent as well.....

Yep, you're spot on again, matey - and funnily enough, I always think of the Twang as a sort of EMF for the noughties. No idea why but interesting that EMF popped up in that list.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Well Semisonic had two hits didn't they (Secret Smile and Closing Time)?? Don't recall them doing much else, but granted not a one hit wonder.

I think Chemistry is a great song and probably should have been more successful, still gets decent radio play.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well Semisonic had two hits didn't they (Secret Smile and Closing Time)

That song 'Secret Smile' bugs the f*ck out of me. Those lyrics are absolute toss:

"Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile and you use it only for me"

If it's a secret then of course nobody else knows about it, you nobs. And then that bit about using it 'only for me' - that's all a bit "I know something you don't" and no-one likes a smug git.

And the song is MOR hell. Horrible song.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I bloody love the Shirehorses. Their version was miles better than the original. Babybird were a po-faced bunch.

Quite frankly a lot of their parodies were better than the originals IMO.

I have their first album in the car and every now and then I pop it on just to give myself a giggle.

The Ballad of Franny Lee is quite frankly genius!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I have their first album in the car and every now and then I pop it on just to give myself a giggle.

I know the album by heart, I think. First track: "Now I know where we're going...our kid. Sit back enjoy the riiiiiiiide."

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

It is a quality album. I also like, THE RA-GNOMES, Sheena Easton (Punk Rocker) / Joe's ****ed Off

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reef had more than one hit surely?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yay good find! I loved pretty much every single one of those songs, so that's the next few hours of Spotify sorted.

Edit: Actually scrap that, most of them are too depressing for a Friday afternoon.

Did you enjoy it being back in your old seat on Wednesday?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The other monster tune is Brand New Radicals 'Get What You Give'. That is a top tune in anyone's language.

In your mind have you merged Brand New Heavies and New Radicals into a single band?

What an album Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too is. Gregg Alexander a bit of a genius, but what a weird CV since the New Radicals...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here