Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in 70's - Brings the memories back

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Southdown buses and Morris Marinas. Probably jumpers for goalposts if you look hard enough.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Shows how overcrowded Brighton has become, the start of the A23 by the Aquarium has so few cars it's incredible. Even the beach is quite sparsely populated compared to summers theses days.

I'm so old I actually walked on the West Pier too, great memories.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Will watch a bit more later but christ alive, how clean did those streets look???
Agreed. It is remarkable. Like many others on here, no doubt, I have never knowingly dropped litter in a street (except when drunk) and it seems that approach was widespread in the 1970s.

Plenty of dogshit though...!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Shows how overcrowded Brighton has become, the start of the A23 by the Aquarium has so few cars it's incredible. Even the beach is quite sparsely populated compared to summers theses days.

I'm so old I actually walked on the West Pier too, great memories.

Absolutely, have fond memories of the 70's, after all it was a time that some of us were in our pomp !!

I am not too sure if the lack of traffic is due to overcrowding in the town though more like generally not many women drivers, less commuting, less youngsters getting a car immediately they pass their test etc. so car ownership effects whats happening on our roads I guess.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for posting. Great to watch. Brighton was so much nicer with less traffic. And the blue Brighton Corporation buses looked great. And the Palace Pier with its correct name!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agreed. It is remarkable. Like many others on here, no doubt, I have never knowingly dropped litter in a street (except when drunk) and it seems that approach was widespread in the 1970s.

Plenty of dogshit though...!

Have a walk along the Upper Lewes Road, especially whenever there is a bank holiday ( because the students can't figure out the changed collection day ) and see the crap and shat all over the pavements. It's like Beirut but without the sunshine.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Wow! The 1970s! Do you realise that's nearly 10 years ago? No sheriously; It seems a lot cleaner. Face it young people and Johny Foreigner don't give a toss about the environment.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Thanks for posting. Great to watch. Brighton was so much nicer with less traffic. And the blue Brighton Corporation buses looked great. And the Palace Pier with its correct name!

Again it was a time for us perhaps when life was exciting and where mortality was never considered, its a nice time in our lives, BUT although I loved the place it was particularly shabby in the 70's as I recall, the beachfront was ghastly, grubby and urine ridden, they charged us to get on the pier and the badly maintained cars churning out fumes, West Street was just as ugly then too.

So although I have great memories and still love the place, its pretty much better now except I am older, grey and grumpy.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Absolutely, have fond memories of the 70's, after all it was a time that some of us were in our pomp !!

I am not too sure if the lack of traffic is due to overcrowding in the town though more like generally not many women drivers, less commuting, less youngsters getting a car immediately they pass their test etc. so car ownership effects whats happening on our roads I guess.

Yep. There were not so many female drivers on the road. Less car accidents.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Again it was a time for us perhaps when life was exciting and where mortality was never considered, its a nice time in our lives, BUT although I loved the place it was particularly shabby in the 70's as I recall, the beachfront was ghastly, grubby and urine ridden, they charged us to get on the pier and the badly maintained cars churning out fumes, West Street was just as ugly then too.

So although I have great memories and still love the place, its pretty much better now except I am older, grey and grumpy.
I agree

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Brilliant.
Not much has changed if you look at the big picture.
OK.West Pier gone and a Marina constructed.Churchill Square also.
Superficial stuff like transport obviously.
Without being racist.......hardly a non white face?

I loved growing up in Brighton in the 70's.
Shame it went so far downhill so quickly.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Have a walk along the Upper Lewes Road, especially whenever there is a bank holiday ( because the students can't figure out the changed collection day ) and see the crap and shat all over the pavements. It's like Beirut but without the sunshine.

Mmmm..not so long ago, the dustman would walk into your property, take the rubbish and place it in the dustcart.
Now almost every street has bins, boxes and assorted rubbish placed permanently on the pavement.
Its only when you see old films and photos like this you notice what a sh*t hole the City's become.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
3 day week, sack of coal in the bunker, black & white telly, 3rd in the bath (if you're lucky), rush home for Double Deckers, knock on peoples door to ask for your ball back - under the car? Your turn!
Marvellous, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here