Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play offs three seasons running?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No. Nonsense. We need something like 15 wins and 2 draws from 19 games and that consistency is impossible in the Championship.

Every reason, however, to hope that the nightmare of repeatedly crap and losing football is over.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The dream ended on Saturday against Brentford. At least finishing 7th isn't all that bad.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Not impossible but extremely unlikely.

Even if we hit form of 2 points per game average we'll be on 67 points.

This would still mean 3 out of Derby, Brentford, Norwich, Watford & Wolves have to hit relegation form for the last 19/20 games.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Would love to be proven wrong, but can't see it happening.
Strong finish to the season and something to build off over the summer, weed out a few, strengthen where needed. Keeping key players and staff is a must for a good 2015/16

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. Nonsense. We need something like 15 wins and 2 draws from 19 games and that consistency is impossible in the Championship.

Every reason, however, to hope that the nightmare of repeatedly crap and losing football is over.

The playoffs have been made with as little as 68pts in recent years. In the season 2012/13 after 26 games the 6th team was Watford on 43. This season its Watford again on 44 pts. Leicester made the play offs that year on 68 pts.

Anything can happen. Realistically to have the slightest chance we would need 40 pts from our remaining 19 games. To put that in perspective, Bournemouth got 43 pts from 19 games from mid Sept. to now, in the same period Ipswich got 39. So it can be done…

B'Mouth P19 W13 D4 L2 PTS43

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The playoffs have been made with as little as 68pts in recent years. In the season 2012/13 after 26 games the 6th team was Watford on 43. This season its Watford again on 44 pts. Leicester made the play offs that year on 68 pts.

Anything can happen. Realistically to have the slightest chance we would need 40 pts from our remaining 19 games. To put that in perspective, Bournemouth got 43 pts from 19 games from mid Sept. to now, in the same period Ipswich got 39. So it can be done.
Obviously it is mathematically possible. Your choice of stats is very selective. Mid 70s are more normal for play-offs and projection based on current table suggests that norm is likely to be achieved this year.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Obviously it is mathematically possible. Your choice of stats is very selective. Mid 70s are more normal for play-offs and projection based on current table suggests that norm is likely to be achieved this year.

As someone else pointed out to you - you chose to say 'that consistency is impossible in the Championship' which is odd when it's been achieved in the last 4 months!

Of course it is unlikely, if not down right ridiculous to suggest it for us, but that level of consistency clearly is achievable in the Championship.

Albion Pearl Jammer

Jan 4, 2015
Eastbourne
It's good to dream as it's not impossible, but I think this is a bridge too far. I agree with Randy let's try and build and keep a strong team and at least make playoffs, maybe more next season. BHA will be prem team in 3-5 years tops.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rev...

**** off :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As someone else pointed out to you - you chose to say 'that consistency is impossible in the Championship' which is odd when it's been achieved in the last 4 months!

Of course it is unlikely, if not down right ridiculous to suggest it, but that level of consistency clearly is achievable in the Championship.
A team absolutely flying at the top of the league did not achieve 15 wins from 19 games in their best period of the season. To split hairs about the literal meaning of the word "impossible" seems a bit pointless.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What would be nice is to have a run where we are looking at the play off's and are in a group of teams where it is mathematically possible going into the last few games. That sort of run would set us up nicely for the summer and building momentum into the next season - especially without a manager leaving or playoff humiliation!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A team absolutely flying at the top of the league did not achieve 15 wins from 19 games in their best period of the season. To split hairs about the literal meaning of the word "impossible" seems a bit pointless.

Ha well, instead of simply replying okay, nearly impossible then, you decided to be picky about the stats I'd chosen. If the shoe fits!! :lolol:

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
i stil think that this season is about avoiding relegation (thanks Sami) and achieving mid table mediocrity at best. We'll do that (thanks Chris). Then next season we go for it

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ha well, instead of simply replying okay, nearly impossible then, you decided to be picky about the stats I'd chosen. If the shoe fits!! :lolol:
You could have just replied "OK, nearly possible then"...!! :lolol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You could have just replied "OK, nearly possible then"...!! :lolol:

True. Love stats though.

As an aside, the average points required to achieve 6th spot in the championship (that isn't the average points of 6th place, but the average of being 1 point above 7th or the points of 6th place when level on points with 7th) over the last decade is 71.2 points.

Of course, I don't think we can get anywhere near that, but that would be 1 point less than Bournemouth's recent run… P19 W13 D3 L3….it almost seems doable! :cool::facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here