Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West stand upper

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
As we have been in our beautiful stadium now for nearly 4 years I was thinking it was surely about time we ‘Albionised’ The west upper and in particular starting with the stair wells that lead up to the concourses. As we walk up the 100 or so steps to the Holy grail there is no real feeling that we are in Brighton and Hove Albion’s football stadium, to me it feels rather bland and cold. As the West Upper holds 4,000 with the majority being season ticket holders and that includes a lot of season tickets holders from The Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean days so it wouldn’t hopefully be too difficult to try and raise some money so as we could perhaps put up so photos of past glory, Framed Kits, Artwork, Pictures of the old west stand at the Goldstone, fan pictures etc etc basically I’d be open to suggestions to what everyone thinks would make this part of the stadium look better.
I was wonder if anyone was prepared to help me try and set up a West stand upper fund so we can do this, obviously we would need to speak to the powers that be at The Albion to make sure this is ok and if we did this as ‘Fans’ rather than it being organised by the Albion we could choose what we all wanted obviously again within reason ? Perhaps by the end of the season we could have some sort of plan to get something up by start of season 2015/2016.
DM with your thoughts with perhaps your email address so we can start thinking about this and perhaps we can try get a few of us meeting up one night and get the wheels in motion about how we could do this.
Cheers.

To be honest, when I walk up the stairs it's head down and just keep going.

There could be a "Free Beer Today" sign and I'd miss it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It is a very good thought. I don't go in Dick's Bar much but I seem to recall the walls of that staircase are covered in big pictures...?

Just having something on each of the "landings" would be good in WSU. I wouldn't personally give any cash, as I think the club could run to a few canvases on our behalf, but others might be more generous / able.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As we walk up the 100 or so steps to the Holy grail

123 to be exact at the north end entrance. There are fewer steps at the south end, but I can't remember how many as I use that end so rarely :lolol:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It was my first time WSU last night and rather magnificent it was but even my daughter commented on the way up that it was "surprisingly white". Not a bad idea at all.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Obviously a few older sorts stop halfway up and they may like to look at stuff on the walls, for me I'm always racing up the stairs in order to have a slash. A couple of pints and an hour on the coach are enough for that.

But, I think it is a nice idea Spoonie. And you're right, the WSU is where the proper fans are! I'd say the percentage who attend is higher, we stay longer and we moan a lot more.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
123 to be exact at the north end entrance. There are fewer steps at the south end, but I can't remember how many as I use that end so rarely :lolol:

96 to be precise

Noticed the rows of extra seats covered up at the back of WSU - Think they are extra press seats for the Rugby ??

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Was my first time up there last night (W3F), and it's a bit of a trek even for me and I go running twice a week.

What's needed is a long train of stairlifts. That'd be splendid. With cup holders to put a pint in as well.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Was my first time up there last night (W3F), and it's a bit of a trek even for me and I go running twice a week.

What's needed is a long train of stairlifts. That'd be splendid. With cup holders to put a pint in as well.

A paternoster lift, with cup holders, would be great :thumbsup:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good shout from the OP. I suspect it's been neglected because the 'suits' would never walk up there. If they do have to go up to WSU (non matchdays) they would take the service lift!

Maybe a local schools project to do Albion/AITC murals? Winning mural judged by the fans gets 30 free school tickets to a game? [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION]?

PG

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I'm always too busy trying to get up as fast as possible so that I can get a pint in before the game..... but it is very "white" and bland, I agree.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
don't the club get enough dosh off us to carry your plan out ??

My plan was to try and make something us fans could do and be proud of, not expecting everyone to agree but for as little as perhaps a couple of quid each, or perhaps people donating photos or other memorabilia we could maybe frame I really believe it could look fantastic.

Just a thought here, but anything that stops people from marching up the stairs when I'd reckon 90% are either desperate to have a slash, get in a queue or just trying not to stop for fear of not starting again may irritate a few.

It would me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here