Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thought you might be interested in Mick McCarthy's comments on Brighton after last night

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
Firstly, well done. You were better than us and deserved it.

Here is what Mick had to say (love the comment about Norwich hidden in there :bowdown:

“I could bemoan that we didn’t play as well as we could have done in the first half but that might take a bit away from Chris’s team because I thought they were good”

"We were trying to get to the top and they were ready for us. I seem to remember us when we were in the bottom six when I first came to the club we set about Nottingham Forest and ran all over them, we did the same to Crystal Palace, we did the same to Leicester"

“We’re having to live up to a reputation so I think teams are steeling themselves for that and they’re getting something better out of their teams, but our first half performance wasn’t what I would have expected from us.”

"I know Chris and I know what he’s about and I know how good he is as a coach and a manager,”

“I think wherever he’s been he’s done a great job. I know there’ll be Norwich fans screaming at me but I seem to remember they were still in the Premier League when he was sacked.

“He’s been everywhere, he’s experienced. He was at Tottenham for a long time. I’m a bit annoyed with him tonight, but he’s a great guy, he’s a mate of mine.”

“The lads were really focused and I think we have to give them a bit of credit rather than me taking [it away from them and giving my team criticism].

“When was it easy coming to Brighton? I know they’ve not had the best record lately, but we always put their team up on a sheet of paper and I can’t think for one minute that any of us looked at it and thought it was going to be easy with the team that was playing.

“I thought they played well in the first half. I’m not happy with the goals we conceded, we didn’t do as well as we should have done, it wasn’t like us.”

“The lads were really focused and I think we have to give them a bit of credit rather than me taking [it away from them and giving my team criticism].

"There is no need for any apology from my players. I didn't play well every week. Most weeks, but not every week"

“They’re all off until Monday. Have a break, chill out with their families, go away if they can, have a beer with their mates, I’m not bothered.

“They work exceptionally hard. Just recover and we’ll prepare for Wigan next week, starting on Monday.”

I have always found it very difficult to find something to dislike about Mick McCarthy.

I do hope he's right about Hughton, watching that last night was like going back a few years.

Great stuff.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very nice measured comments from a decent manager who is capable showing a bit of class. Deserves all the plaudits he is getting this season in getting Ipswich to the top end of the table.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
A really top British Manager, just like what we've got! I hope ITFC make it into the premiership this season because they are a good club, doing it the proper way. There was something on BBC Five Live last week which said that Mick's net spend since taking over at Ipswich is £12k! That's about a week of Jon Obika's wages.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have always found it very difficult to find something to dislike about Mick McCarthy.

You should ask Roy Keane :)

MM has always been one of my favourite managers: always honest and never one for pathetic excuses. Like him as a summariser on the box too - the Geoff Boycott of football

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I've always wanted to dislike MM, but he never gives me the chance. He is a likeable, knowledgeable, committed, man. Wouldn't like to get on his wrong side though. Good man, good club

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He is not british....he is a Yorkshireman!
Tsk tsk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I can still remember the first time I ever saw him as a pundit on MOTD, not having the first idea who he was, and thinking immediately that this bloke cuts the cr@p and talks sense.

I have never had any reason to change my view and would reflect all the positive comments made by others above.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've always wanted to dislike MM, but he never gives me the chance. He is a likeable, knowledgeable, committed, man. Wouldn't like to get on his wrong side though. Good man, good club

I think it's also the lack of normal manager lies and double speak. Always just seems very straight forward in his approach to things and doesn't make silly excuses.

Also this is just a brilliant quote:

"There is no need for any apology from my players. I didn't play well every week. Most weeks, but not every week"

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He seems a good bloke. I'm not sure whether we did raise our game though; I'm hoping this will become the "norm". After all, we usually putting in a shocking performance in the match before a big cup tie!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You should ask Roy Keane :)

MM has always been one of my favourite managers: always honest and never one for pathetic excuses. Like him as a summariser on the box too - the Geoff Boycott of football

Agree with all of your comments, every one except the last that is. The Geoff Boycott of football?, Mick is far more entertaining when talking about football, than Geoff Boycott ever was about cricket!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He seems a good bloke. I'm not sure whether we did raise our game though; I'm hoping this will become the "norm". After all, we usually putting in a shocking performance in the match before a big cup tie!

I'm confident it wasn't just a one off too. I've enjoyed all of our performances under Chris, not only the three wins, but Saurday's defeat too. I thought we were desperately unlucky to lose to Brentord, probably created almost as many chances as we did last night, and the goal we conceded was an absolute fluke too.

What a change a new manager can make!

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
This is my favourite Mick McCarthy comment of the season after we drew 2-2 down at Bournemouth after some snidey comments from Eddie Howe. It also applied to Watford (Jokanovic) and Fulham (Magath) after we beat them this season fair and square.

“It makes it all the more sweeter when we p*** the opposition manger off doesn’t it?” said McCarthy. “There are some of them who think they’re a little bit above us, maybe better footballers who stroke it about a bit more, and it really irks them when the comprehensive lads come and rough a few schoolboys up. They don’t like it do they?

“It just gives me greater satisfaction when we beat them. Even more so when they whinge about it afterwards.”

He continued: “What do they think we’re going to do? Let’s just have a nice pretty game of football and see who wins it? It doesn’t work like that.

“I think there are a few clubs that look down their nose at us and think they’re better than us. It’s derogatory sometimes the way they react.

“It surprises me. Solid Championship teams are not to be sneered at. Burnley were one of those and they got promoted. They had a couple of top strikers, but, let me tell you, everything behind that was really disciplined and organised.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here