Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did you think of Ipswich Town?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting side. I'm sure they weren't anywhere near their best last night, but you can't deny McCarthy has done a great job with a side that didn't cost a lot, this game excepted.

Thought Daryl Murphy was a pain in the first half particularly: Greer didn't win a single header in 45 minutes against him. He's been largely a journeyman during his career, so credit to Big Mick for getting what he is out of him. Other strikers didn't seem to offer much until Sears came on, who at least seemed to be trying to make things happen.

That Cole Skuse in midfield is a mediocre player, who repeatedly and helpfully gave the ball away last night. Was impressed with Teddy Bishop when he came on, not surprising that other teams are looking at him.

They seemed more direct than other teams up at the top: certainly more so than Derby, Bournemouth & Boro. Wondered if that was their usual style or just a Plan B response to being outplayed.

Can't say I was all that impressed with Brentford the other day either, other than to say they looked neat & solid. Makes you think you really don't have to be brilliant to succeed in this league (perhaps we proved that by making the play offs last season).

Oh, and I loved it when the Championship's most annoying player, Stephen Hunt, came on as sub, received the ball immediately in the middle of the park, and passed it 40 yards off the end of the pitch for a goal kick. :clap:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting side. I'm sure they weren't anywhere near their best last night, but you can't deny McCarthy has done a great job with a side that didn't cost a lot, this game excepted.

Thought Daryl Murphy was a pain in the first half particularly: Greer didn't win a single header in 45 minutes against him. He's been largely a journeyman during his career, so credit to Big Mick for getting what he is out of him. Other strikers didn't seem to offer much until Sears came on, who at least seemed to be trying to make things happen.

That Cole Skuse in midfield is a mediocre player, who repeatedly and helpfully gave the ball away last night. Was impressed with Teddy Bishop when he came on, not surprising that other teams are looking at him.

They seemed more direct than other teams up at the top: certainly more so than Derby, Bournemouth & Boro. Wondered if that was their usual style or just a Plan B response to being outplayed.

Can't say I was all that impressed with Brentford the other day either, other than to say they looked neat & solid. Makes you think you really don't have to be brilliant to succeed in this league (perhaps we proved that by making the play offs last season).

Oh, and I loved it when the Championship's most annoying player, Stephen Hunt, came on as sub, received the ball immediately in the middle of the park, and passed it 40 yards off the end of the pitch for a goal kick. :clap:

Frodo? ....not as annoying as the other Hunt who threw a hissy fit at one stage

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Based on the last two games, I think neither Brentford nor Ipswich will be in the Premier League next season.

And yes, both have provided great comedy moments as well. Hunt's "pass" as soon as he came on as Edna pointed out, and Jon Toral's magnificent miss near the end for Brentford :lolol:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They missed the McGoldrick Murphy partnership and the fact that we stopped Mings getting forward. They also showed that an old basic 4-4-2 formation is easily combatted by a 4-2-3-1 formation.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Underperformed yesterday and I reckon Mick was 'outthunk' by CH. But they're a really good team. Consistently impressive throughout this season (albeit on the FLS).

I reckon they've got a very decent shout at going up via Wembley.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I came away from the game last night thinking that compared to Ipswich we really are a decent side and that if we hadn't wasted six months on Project Semi we might be in the mix at the top end of the table.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I'd love to see Mick McCarthy back in the Premier League - one of the few managers who tells it like it is and rarely gives excuses when his side lose.

The fact they were missing a few players last night helped us and that Mings was kept quiet by Calderon. Of all the teams towards the top of the table, they are the ones I'd like to see go up along with Derby

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I think what they proved is that there is very little difference between any sides in The Championship. A bit of organisation and momentum and you are good to go.

nail, head

its a very poor standard this season in the championship

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Good, hard-working organised side who carried a big goal threat - bigger if McGoldrick had been playing. A few of our players, the management and the whole team collectively needed to put in their best performance of the season to beat Ipswich. We could have beaten them more comprehensively, but they never gave up and could have sneaked a completely undeserved draw. It's great to win, but it's even better to win well, with great performances and tactics against a good side.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
McGoldrick was a huge miss for them, they didn't create many chances but still scored two and could well have nicked a point if we didn't keep our focus. McCarthy always has his teams well organised, just unfortunate for them that Hughton got his tactics and line up spot on. I think they'll be there or there abouts at the end of the season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
There is nobody in the Championship this season that looks like they would do anything other than come straight back down if they get promoted.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Is it correct that McCarthy has not bought a player since 2012?

I think that is almost true but they brought Mings in 2013 for 10K and I think they paid something for the polish goalie but other than that all freebies I believe which is still quite impressive. I was disappointed with Ipswich but by all accounts yesterday was an off day, workman like with no real flare and I was expecting better from Mings who is being bigged up as the best left back in the Championship.

Disagree with the OP on the verdict of Brentford thought they were one the best teams at the Amex this season counter attack with real pace and looked like they could have scored more on a good day, but ultimately another season proving how closely match almost all teams are in this league.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I came away from the game last night thinking that compared to Ipswich we really are a decent side and that if we hadn't wasted six months on Project Semi we might be in the mix at the top end of the table.

This. Not a lot of difference in class between 1st and 21st.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Direct play can't sometimes buy a result in the Championship football: The Amex rocks even when half empty.

PG

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Having watched Ipswich v Southampton 2 weeks ago I thought we had a good shot to get the three points. They are well organised and disciplined team with a good manager but nothing special - but so are many teams in the Championship. Like above, its all about momentum and organisation - something we've lacked all season and for large parts of last season under Garcia. On paper we have a good squad - but there's so little difference between the 24 in the championship.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Thought they looked very mediocre but maybe they just had a poor night. I do think they have probably peaked as they don't seem to have anywhere near enough depth in their squad to maintain a prolonged challenge at the top. As has been already said though, Mccarthy has done wonders with what he has.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here