Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last night's ref

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Couldn't see a thread on him but thought he was excellent - best ref this season (and not just because we won). Kept the game flowing, played good advantage (particularly when he booked their fella well after the foul), didn't flourish cards left, right and centre and got pretty much all decisions right.

What a contrast with Saturday's ...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Couldn't see a thread on him but thought he was excellent - best ref this season (and not just because we won). Kept the game flowing, played good advantage (particularly when he booked their fella well after the foul), didn't flourish cards left, right and centre and got pretty much all decisions right.

What a contrast with Saturday's ...

Keith Stroud, been around for years and one of the better refs about

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He was much better than the "look at me" one we had on Saturday. Still thought he let a few things go, especially several handball decisions, but he was a ref that you felt would get the big ones right and not be the centre of attention - which is good to see

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Great improvement on his previous visit to The Amex this season when he was poor. He was helped by competent linos, on one occassion in the first half Calde went down in the right wing corner claiming a punch or push and he asked the lino if it was such, who signalled with his head that it wasnt, well done to both of them.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
He was very good. The long advantage he gave us, but then went back to book the Ipswich player was excellent. It was clear he was communicating with the linos all the time - their team work was almost as good as ours! impressive stuff

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
And there wasn;t the excessive use of the spray like there was on saturday for every free kick. Sensible ref, making an enjoyable flowing game

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Excellent seems a bit gushing. But he wasnt a bad ref, if you dont notice the ref too much in a game he is doing a good job IMO.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Agree. He had a good game last night... Happy to slam a poor ref like Saturday's, but credit where it's due tonight. Good ref often equals good game to watch.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Leaving the result aside he had a good game last night, Stroud is one of the better referees around.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was impressed by the way that he was always looking to play the advantage where possible. That always helps provide a more flowing game.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Was it just me or was he TINY? Looked small next to Baldock.....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A good ref goes unnoticed so he can't have been that good...?

I hope the spray can is back in action on Sunday.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Maybe he saw them but thought they weren't hand balls?

A couple looked like ball-to-hand for me, so wont qualify as handball. Thought the use of advantage was good though. Wasnt card happy either and only booked Stockdale for timewasting and Irn Bru for Ipswich for dissent.

Thought the line on the East side was a bit slow to make decisions though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe he saw them but thought they weren't hand balls?

Indeed. I can't remember any handballs being denied so they clearly weren't "obvious".

And maybe it is a bit gushing to praise the ref but we're always quick to moan about one so I thought I'd redress the balance and have a thread for a ref who did a good job

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Wouldn't say excellent. There was several obvious hand balls that he missed.

Still, one of the better refs.

While I obviously shouted and complained at every one of those decisions I then thought maybe he had decided to take a consistent line on it having to be deliberate handball.

People often complain that what would have been given as a foul outside the box doesnt result in a penalty in it. Conversely in this case I felt none of those decisions would have been given inside the penalty box, so why give them outside of it?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Excellent seems a bit gushing. But he wasnt a bad ref, if you dont notice the ref too much in a game he is doing a good job IMO.

I take your point, but last night some people (including me) seemed to be noticing him precisely because he WAS doing a good job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here