Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's role last night

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm interested to hear from those at the game as I only listened on the radio but much was made of him playing as an old-fashioned inside right. From the commentary and the ratings thread it sounds like he had a cracking game in that position. Do you think he should carry on playing in this spot?

I must admit I'm hoping for an emphatic 'yes' as I'm desperately hoping for a new contract for him next year.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thought he played very well in that position. A much better contribution than he would have made at full back. If he wants to continue playing then that could be his position.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes I do.

I thought last night was his best for a fair while - he seemed to be popping up all over the place. He and Bruno together on the right worked very well.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He was great. He did a job on Mings first and foremost. He also had Bruno behind him and Tex to the left forming an irresistible Iberian triangle. He also has real physicality, a great first touch and a great engine. He's definitely exposed at right back - but when the game's in front of him (and there's cover behind), he's a properly good attacking option.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Lots of eyebrows were raised I suspect when people saw the teamsheet last night and tried to figure out the role Calde would play.

But he was awesome - popping up everywhere, hassling their midfield, linking play and showing an engine many thirtysomethings would envy. Linked up particularly well with Bruno on numerous occasions.

I'd play him there against the Arse, but what do I know? :shrug:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He had one of his best games last night (He was played on the wing ahead of Bruno- tracked back when required) but from Hughton's interview I got the impression he was played there to help protect against Mings. For me, Calderon and Bruno have always worked well/been on the same wavelength when they've played together so it was no surprise. Good management by Hughton though.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nice to have a player out there who can actually cross the ball. Certainly an area we need to strengthen but for now cannot see a better fit option in the squad that Calderon

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Very glad after all these years he is being played in a position that suits his creativity. What I can't understand is why it took four managers over four years to do this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ah. Was he there specifically to keep Mings quiet? He did seem to be where their forward threat came from.

That's what my mates view was. Mings is one of their best players and he had a very quiet night. Most of their threat came down their right side rather than the left. Tactical genius on the part of CH. Come Sunday, Calde's job will be to man mark Cazorla for 90 minutes!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Ah. Was he there specifically to keep Mings quiet? He did seem to be where their forward threat came from.

100%. Tex alluded to the fact that Hughton will pick sides to nullify certain threats. Mings is a beast and very quick. It needed someone to keep him occupied in his half and stop his momentum. Calde did that brilliantly until they threw caution to the wind. Even then, we got space in behind them in the last 10 minutes. let's see how CH sets up against the Gooners!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He was great. He did a job on Mings first and foremost. He also had Bruno behind him and Tex to the left forming an irresistible Iberian triangle. He also has real physicality, a great first touch and a great engine. He's definitely exposed at right back - but when the game's in front of him (and there's cover behind), he's a properly good attacking option.

The Irresistible Iberian Triangle - I like that.

Has to be the name of a band surely?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surprised as when heard team, thought Calde would retain his RB slot with Bruno in midfield which has happened previously. Really good game, but would expect the same from the great man if he had to play in goal for 90 minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Irresistible Iberian Triangle - I like that.

Has to be the name of a band surely?
It NEEDS to be an isosceles triangle, you can stick you're equilateral up your arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here