Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Save preston park

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Hi All,

Just a quick message to ask you if you could all like and share this page for me (and many many others).

In short Preston Park, our local track, - the oldest in the country and second oldest in the world - is, as it stands, going to fall into disrepute as it has failed the new standards introduced by British Cycling following a fatality in Portsmouth in 2013. It can therefore not be used for racing or training as the insurance and all that complicated stuff is no longer valid: it is simply too dangerous.

One issue here being that the Sussex track league is most likely going to be cancelled this year and could be henceforth if funding for resurfacing the track et al is not secured. Another issue is that our local youth cycling club Preston Park Youth Cycling Club who cater for all ages and of all abilities are unable to use this facility which means children are unable to exercise and get enjoyment out of what they love doing in a safe and caring environment.

Ironically the Green council are seemingly refusing to take responsibility over this issue and the blame seems to be shifting from one person to another and nothing is getting done. The track is open to the public for all but about 6 hours or so a week and therefore if no funding is secured then, as I have alluded to, it will most likely fall into disrepute and not even the public will be able to use it and it could turn into an abandoned brownfield site at the top of a park where teenagers just go to drink and take drugs.

It is worth signing this even if you are against cyclists and would happily run them over because people often come here to exercise and if this facility is no longer available to them then they will have no other option but to ride on the road and get in your way. This benefits everyone.

I have attached a draft of my clubs email to the council should you wish to read it.

PLEASE CAN YOU LIKE AND SHARE
(for the good of all cyclists and non-cyclists alike)

Regards

https://www.facebook.com/saveprestonparkcycletrack?fref=ts

View attachment Sport 1st-PPYCC.pdf

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've signed it because my children learned to ride their bikes there.

I do have one concern though - doen't the cycling authorities get shed loads of public funding for the Olympics etc ? If so, they they should be chipping in as well rather than it just being the local taxpayer.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe

I do have one concern though - doen't the cycling authorities get shed loads of public funding for the Olympics etc ? If so, they they should be chipping in as well rather than it just being the local taxpayer.

It seems they have offered a considerable amount but unfortunately it seems the further away you are from Manchester the less interested the more difficult they seem to be, they also get less than you think, especially for this kind of thing

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Just signed it - many happy evenings when our kids were young, watching the racing. Also used it to get back on my bike after a knee replacement a few years back

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How about introducing a tax on cyclists in Brighton so it's self financing.
Cyclists paying to help cyclists.
Can't fail can it?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The continual decline of the City's sporting facilities that has been allowed to happen by successive Council administrations is nothing short of scandalous.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Falling in to disrepair rather than disrepute I suspect but signed anyway :thumbsup:

sorry......feeling especially curmudgeonly this afternoon

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Have forwarded to my brother-in-law in Australia as he used to race there in the 50's & 60's. At 81 he still competes in veterans events!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My mum and dad used to ride there in the 1950's (the old girl was quite good and held a number of records) and mum used to take me there in the early 70's (she was a non-riding member of Brighton Mitre) and I had a lot of fun in the summer on Wednesday evenings.
It would be really sad to see it go for the lack of funds, especially when the council purports to be pro-cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'd hazard a guess the 'Manchester' funding has little or nothing to do with a project like this.
That's money is based on previous/projected Olympic performance, of which cycling gets the most cos we're the bestest.

This project is British Cycling, Sport England (or whatever it's now called) and direct lottery funding territory.

I'm no authority but I wouldn't be surprised if the Manchester funding far outstrips the British Cycling money.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I signed it. My daughter rode her first omnium there at the age 6, she rides for Palmer Park velo in Reading. It was great and it sealed her love of cycle racing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Got to get it in The Argus first!

Might be better getting the Brighton & Hove Independent involved if the national daily newspapers are going to pick up on it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got to get it in The Argus first!
If only there was some way or some kind of precedent in getting a story from here onto the hallowed pages of the Argus :dunce:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here