Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woooohoooo. Bin men have fallen out with the council again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Work to rule again like before Christmas.

So, here we go again. No collections for our area as we were told by a council officer that we are too far away and the lorries fill up before they get to us and the work to rule means they won't send out another lorry!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They should just fire the lot of those workshy, militant toxxers. Stick out to private tender, close Cityclean, job done, unlike now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
At the risk of being unpopular, I have some sympathies for the binmen. Over many years they have fought for and got better conditions. Then along comes some ridiculous public sector idea that pay should not only be equal across gender but also across some roles. So all of a sudden they lump utterly unsimilar roles together as being 'equal'. The result, the binmen get shat on and loose part of their pay and benefits.

Sadly the council are between a rock and a hard place - they have to adhere to these ridiculous rules yet have unhappy employees because of it.

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Personally I'd like to know who was on this panel and what it's criteria/jurisdiction was before I pilloried the binmen. They do a job that I wouldn't fancy, that is incredibly anti-social in terms of hours and nature, and is absolutely vital. Most council departments have had their working pay and conditions shifted and redundancies/relocations put in place - they obviously feel that theirs isn't fair in keeping with their salaries etc. I am prepared to believe that.

What's a shame is that nationally the Green Party is campaigning on an anti-austerity platform, whereas in it's only place of authority it is making cuts/downward changes to those lower down the ladder.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think it's just the drivers of the recycling lorries and dustcarts. They seem to want to be paid a lot more than other colleagues in the council doing similar jobs. My advice to them would be to resign and get new jobs that pay the amount they feel they deserve. The council can't back down because that would mean increasing the salaries of all the other comparable jobs, the drivers would then return demanding they were paid more and so on and so forth whilst I get yet another increase in my council tax bill.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They do a job that I wouldn't fancy, that is incredibly anti-social in terms of hours and nature, and is absolutely vital.

Really? Start at 6, finish at 2, incredibly anti-social hours? Wheel a recepticle to the back of a truck and press a button? Don't sound too tough so far. Vital? Yes, but most Tom, Dick n Harry's could do it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Really? Start at 6, finish at 2, incredibly anti-social hours? Wheel a recepticle to the back of a truck and press a button? Don't sound too tough so far. Vital? Yes, but most Tom, Dick n Harry's could do it.

Sign me up for that job. Up at 5.30 slog up london on the shitty trains then home by about 7pm.

2pm finish my god. Luxury.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Round here the binmen only work one day a week. Piece of piss.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Those slagging off the binmen also need to take into account that they are only working to rule .... i.e. only working their contracted hours. I'm not aware that there is anything wrong with that ? They are doing what they are paid for. If the service can't be run without overtime then one has to question the capability of the management and council officers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Those slagging off the binmen also need to take into account that they are only working to rule .... i.e. only working their contracted hours. I'm not aware that there is anything wrong with that ? They are doing what they are paid for. If the service can't be run without overtime then one has to question the capability of the management and council officers.

A flexible workforce is what is championed as the way forward these days, working to rule ain't flexible. But this is nothing new, the binmen have been the last bastion of militant unionism in Brighton for 40 years, the current issue is not important as they will rebel against something just for the sake of it. A full culture/workforce change is required.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
A flexible workforce is what is championed as the way forward these days, working to rule ain't flexible. But this is nothing new, the binmen have been the last bastion of militant unionism in Brighton for 40 years, the current issue is not important as they will rebel against something just for the sake of it. A full culture/workforce change is required.

Try phoning most council departments after 5.30pm ( 4.30pm on a Friday ) or getting most council workers to do something outside their 'job description' - they won't do it. It's just the binmen that get the bad press.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
At the risk of being unpopular, I have some sympathies for the binmen. Over many years they have fought for and got better conditions. Then along comes some ridiculous public sector idea that pay should not only be equal across gender but also across some roles. So all of a sudden they lump utterly unsimilar roles together as being 'equal'. The result, the binmen get shat on and loose part of their pay and benefits.

Sadly the council are between a rock and a hard place - they have to adhere to these ridiculous rules yet have unhappy employees because of it.

there loose

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
But these changes have been brought in across local government in the UK, and binmen aren't on strike across the whole of the UK. So either Brighton & Hove Council have been particularly shite in the way they've consulted/implemented it; or the Brighton binmen are more arsey than their counterparts elsewhere.

Which if the above is true; I couldn't say!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here