Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Whilst I have no family connection, excellent stuff and good on you

620_gallipoli_star.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Royal Sussex Regiment 1/4th Battalion was heavily involved in Gallipoli,landing in Suvla Bay on the 9th August 1915

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The Gallipoli commemorative is absolutely huge here and everyone gets a day off for it, ANZAC day.
Loads of pilgrims go there every year for religious services.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Recently returned from the Gallopli Commemoration in London today,
very moving, especially seeing all the war veterans paying respects, great music from the massed bands of the UK Forces as to be expected :cheers:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
My grandfather fought in the Gallipoli campaign during WW1, but never spoke of the events he and others had to endure.
There is a service being held in London, on April 25th, this year to commemorate the event, which I will be going to :thumbsup:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marking-the-centenary-of-the-gallipoli-campaign

My maternal grandfather was also at Gallipoli, serving with the Royal Munster Fusiliers who suffered catastrophic casualties on landing. I used to visit him in Ireland frequently and he lived until 1987. Like you I could never get much out of him about it, but he loathed the Turks. However, he once admitted to my aunt that his rifle stock saved him from taking a bullet...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
That's an inspirational statement from a former enemy who are friends today.

I wish the people of the Islamic state would read this and study the context,and realise their cruel treatment against fellow muslims and western aid workers is totally wrong and against the religion they are supposed to believe in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here