Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mobile version of NSC...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Basically really good... and a massive improvement on the recently *******ised Tapatalk.

One thing that would be nice would be to see quoted posts. Is this a setting somewhere or something that could be changed [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Basically really good... and a massive improvement on the recently *******ised Tapatalk.

One thing that would be nice would be to see quoted posts. Is this a setting somewhere or something that could be changed @Bozza?

No.

The current mobile style is the default vBulletin style. I'm on the lookout for something better...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's a mobile version?

I need to wake up then. Tapatalk has been driving me nuts lately.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Tapatalk now Keeps welcoming me with a Happy Holidays opening page which does not go down well with me given I have been working for the last three weeks or so.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Where is this mobile version to be found. I use my phone for this forum 100% of the time and it would be better, but my phone defaults to the safari desktop version. Can I change it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You can change the theme you use to view NSC in the very bottom left of every page, where there is a drop-down.

Your phone should 'remember' the theme you have chosen - my iPhone does and it always renders me in 'mobile' anyway.

You can permanently change the theme you use here: http://www.northstandchat.com/profile.php?do=editoptions - although I admit I'm not entirely sure how this interacts with the forum default, which is now 'Modern'.

A quick note on using the mobile version: you'll notice some thread titles are under-lined and if you tap one you'll get a list of other threads with underlined titles. This is where people have selected a category for the post. Tapping on the name activates the filter and returns all threads of the same category. To open the thread, use the arrow on the right hand side which should take you to the first unread post you have in that thread.

The current mobile theme is OK, but it's not brilliant. Now Tapatalk is such a clusterf*ck, I'll be looking for a better mobile theme over coming days, so expect it to change, but for the better.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You can change the theme you use to view NSC in the very bottom left of every page, where there is a drop-down.

Your phone should 'remember' the theme you have chosen - my iPhone does and it always renders me in 'mobile' anyway.

You can permanently change the theme you use here: http://www.northstandchat.com/profile.php?do=editoptions - although I admit I'm not entirely sure how this interacts with the forum default, which is now 'Modern'.

A quick note on using the mobile version: you'll notice some thread titles are under-lined and if you tap one you'll get a list of other threads with underlined titles. This is where people have selected a category for the post. Tapping on the name activates the filter and returns all threads of the same category. To open the thread, use the arrow on the right hand side which should take you to the first unread post you have in that thread.

The current mobile theme is OK, but it's not brilliant. Now Tapatalk is such a clusterf*ck, I'll be looking for a better mobile theme over coming days, so expect it to change, but for the better.

Thanks Darren. It does beggar belief that someone with a decent product like Tapatalk should f*ck it up so royally.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Me too. Why are some people able to see a thumbs option when you and I are clearly not?

It depends on your version, I still have "NSC classic" enabled (I don't like change) so I have thumbs up and down still

Edit: ooooo I just had a thumbs up from something I posted in 2004, that hasn't been bounced either as the last post is in 2011

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tapatalk now Keeps welcoming me with a Happy Holidays opening page which does not go down well with me given I have been working for the last three weeks or so.

Don't forget the NFL player at the top of the page :angry:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't forget the NFL player at the top of the page :angry:

That will change. The NFL picture is the default 'sports' category picture that Tapatalk applied to all sites that had chosen the site category. The latest version of their software allows sites to have a custom image. I've provided one in my Tapatalk admin panel - it's just waiting for some sort of update at Tapatalk's end for that to show to people using the app.

What's disappointing is that Tapatalk did seem to have this market to themselves. ForumRunner, which performed a similar function, seems to have been abandoned now. Instead of offering tweaks to optimise the app for those using it, they seem to have gone down the path of a complete reinvention that genuinely is much worse than what they offered before.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That will change. The NFL picture is the default 'sports' category picture that Tapatalk applied to all sites that had chosen the site category. The latest version of their software allows sites to have a custom image. I've provided one in my Tapatalk admin panel - it's just waiting for some sort of update at Tapatalk's end for that to show to people using the app.

What's disappointing is that Tapatalk did seem to have this market to themselves. ForumRunner, which performed a similar function, seems to have been abandoned now. Instead of offering tweaks to optimise the app for those using it, they seem to have gone down the path of a complete reinvention that genuinely is much worse than what they offered before.

Perhaps this is an inevitable result of better mobile versions of Forum websites??

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

That's ok! Thanks to this thread, I've now been directed towards the mobile site version and am already finding it much less of a pain to deal with :thumbsup:

Tapatalk used to be ok: it was just the last update which made it go horrifically un-user friendly. I shall stick with your other version :)

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
There's a mobile version?

I need to wake up then. Tapatalk has been driving me nuts lately.

Me too!

and for the hard of thinking amongst us - what's the app called (I cant find it) =0(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here