Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CORRECTION: We're eating more pies and drinking more beer than ever before

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
says Paul Barber of course.

Apparently catering revenue actually rose last season despite what the accounts might have led you to believe, and spend per head this season is going up again. Oh yes it is.

That rather good NotWorthThat has tackled him on the catering discrepancy in last weeks new accounts.

“Our catering performance significantly improved over the course of last season – we sold more food and more drink more efficiently having also negotiated a better catering contract – so, in this set of accounts, I’m pleased to confirm that we have actually seen a very good increase to the club’s coffers from stadium catering – not a 27% decrease.”

And it looks like being a similar story this season. Attendances have dipped slightly but Mr Barber et al are confident that any financial knock-on effect in terms of catering is being offset by increased spend per head. This is, according to Mr Barber, a result of improved serving times allowing people to get to the counter quicker for return visits.

Brighton still boast by far the highest catering revenues in the Championship and, according to Mr Barber, better than some enjoyed by Premier League clubs playing in bigger stadiums.

“Fans are continuing to support the club by buying food and drink at the stadium with spend per head in the first half of this season increasing yet again. Sodexo’s more efficient operations, as well as slightly lower crowd numbers for some games, are keeping queuing times down compared with previous seasons which is making it easier for supporters to access and buy from our kiosks.

via https://notworththat.wordpress.com/...ring-income-really-dropped-not-on-your-nelly/

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sugarless coffee, no Harveys and no pies for me for foreseeable future - 2 stone overweight and its gotta go!! Sorry Mr Barber.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Appears then that the 'day-trippers' are the target audience and successfully so since most STH I speak to have reduced spending overall, predominantly programmes and scratch cards but food also. Seems beer is the constant.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The accounts do not bare that statement out, as there is a clear decrease in revenue as shown by the club, whats he talking about. As for continuing to increase this year, perhaps the 6,000 - 8,000 now not attending never purchased anything and those that are left are just eating more. Would love to have a pie in the 1901 Paul, but there is never a choice and on many occasions nothing left to buy.
I wonder if anyone believes any of this!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The accounts do not bare that statement out, as there is a clear decrease in revenue as shown by the club

From PB this morning to me to share:

"So, for clarification for those supporters that are in any way concerned (or for those using this as a stick to beat the club or Sodexo!):

When we changed caterers, our business model changed. Previously, and largely due to the mid-season change of caterer the season before, we reported all income and all costs associated with our catering income – a simple subtraction providing the net return to the club.

In these latest results, we have simply reported the commissions we receive in the new business model. This means that, for comparative purposes, people are looking at (excuse the pun!) apples and pears! The previous year’s number is the gross amount of revenue (before costs are taken out), while the latest number reported is the net amount (after costs).

In summary, our performance in this area significantly improved over the course of last season – we sold more food and more drink more efficiently having also negotiated a better catering contract - so, in this set of accounts, I’m pleased to confirm that we have actually seen a very good increase to the club’s coffers from stadium catering – not a 27% decrease."

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The accounts do not bare that statement out, as there is a clear decrease in revenue as shown by the club, whats he talking about. As for continuing to increase this year, perhaps the 6,000 - 8,000 now not attending never purchased anything and those that are left are just eating more. Would love to have a pie in the 1901 Paul, but there is never a choice and on many occasions nothing left to buy.
I wonder if anyone believes any of this!

Read the whole article. In 2012-13, for the second half of the season, the entire catering revenue was reported as such, but the associated catering costs were also included in "Administrative expenses" (which were not itemised).

The new catering contract with Sodexo for 2013-14 (a commission-based model) means that the catering revenue number for that season is simply the net contribution.

So your statement that "there is a clear decrease in revenue as shown by the club" is not correct, as you cannot compare the two numbers like-for-like.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

"So, for clarification for those supporters that are in any way concerned (or for those using this as a stick to beat the club or Sodexo!):

When we changed caterers, our business model changed. Previously, and largely due to the mid-season change of caterer the season before, we reported all income and all costs associated with our catering income – a simple subtraction providing the net return to the club.

In these latest results, we have simply reported the commissions we receive in the new business model. This means that, for comparative purposes, people are looking at (excuse the pun!) apples and pears! The previous year’s number is the gross amount of revenue (before costs are taken out), while the latest number reported is the net amount (after costs).

In summary, our performance in this area significantly improved over the course of last season – we sold more food and more drink more efficiently having also negotiated a better catering contract - so, in this set of accounts, I’m pleased to confirm that we have actually seen a very good increase to the club’s coffers from stadium catering – not a 27% decrease."
Bit of a snide thing to say, any feedback is good. Surely?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Read the whole article. In 2012-13, for the second half of the season, the entire catering revenue was reported as such, but the associated catering costs were also included in "Administrative expenses" (which were not itemised).

The new catering contract with Sodexo for 2013-14 (a commission-based model) means that the catering revenue number for that season is simply the net contribution.

So your statement that "there is a clear decrease in revenue as shown by the club" is not correct, as you cannot compare the two numbers like-for-like.

Shouldn't such a change in accounting 'procedure/presentation' be highlighted/explained in an annual report?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Maybe just ask him:

1. How many pies sold yr/yr?
2. How many pints sold yr/yr?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Shouldn't such a change in accounting 'procedure/presentation' be highlighted/explained in an annual report?

I have no idea, I am not a qualified accountant.

To be fair, it isn't actually a change in accounting, it is a change in the underlying nature of the catering contract: ie in 2012-13 it started out as a commission-based contract, then the contractors were fired and for the second half of the season temporary caterers were used (when revenue AND expenses were recognised) and in 2013-14 it was back to a commission-based contract. It could be argued that the accounting has been consistent throughout.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

It's not a change in accounting policy, it's just a contractual business change so doesn't need explaining although if there were a broad base of shareholders who didn't already have access to this information, I'd agree that an explanatory note should be considered. As it is, I'm sure TB was well aware of this anyway and he's the only shareholder who matters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would be good if the club was as obsessed and proud of what is served up on the pitch.

There must be lots of invisible people eating and drinking in the BUPA lounge if the takings have gone up on last yer because the place is never very busy, apart from half time, unlike previous seasons,

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Immediately makes me wonder how much else has been presented in a different way from the previous years accounts...

There are a couple of things in the accounts that I don't understand. Maybe someone who knows about these things does?

First, presumably the P Godfrey whose company was paid around £250,000 by the club last year is Peter Godfrey, the Albion director and former Amex European head. That's quite a lot of money. I wonder what it was for, but I suppose the club doesn't have to say?

And 250,000 new £1 shares were created. All the other issued shares are accounted for (the four directors who bought in at £5000 each, and TB) but not these. Does the fact that no new owner is named mean that it's secret, or perhaps that they went out of the country?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Would be good if the club was as obsessed and proud of what is served up on the pitch.

There must be lots of invisible people eating and drinking in the BUPA lounge if the takings have gone up on last yer because the place is never very busy, apart from half time, unlike previous seasons,
This. The absence of people drinking after games must be imaginary too along with the empty kiosks in WSU earlier in the season.

I expect tomorrow night should produce bumper sales as the queues certainly won't be long.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And 250,000 new £1 shares were created. All the other issued shares are accounted for (the four directors who bought in at £5000 each, and TB) but not these. Does the fact that no new owner is named mean that it's secret, or perhaps that they went out of the country?

Statutory accounts only have to show the shareholdings of the officers of the company but a full list of shareholders should be available for inspection at Companies House.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here