Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Rhino

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Group C. Yo should know the drill by now. You have one vote, use it wisely. Top four go through.

The Combatants:

Komodo Dragon
komodo.article.jpg
The Komodo is the largest lizard in the world, growing to a maximum of 3 metres and 70kg. They dominate their ecosystems due to their size, hunting and ambushing prey up to the size of deer and large pigs. They have been known to dig up the corpses of dead humans and eat them. They may or may not have a venomous bite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon

Honeybadger
Baby-honey-badger.jpg
I don't really need to write anything here. A three time finalist the honey badger is WHC box office gold. He'll cruise through this group without breaking sweat. If you have never heard of him, there'll be plenty of people coming along soon enough to tell you about him, but here's the basics to be getting on with:
Lives in Africa, small, heavily muscled, powerful jaws, eats and fights pretty much anything. Fights and eats poisonous snakes, scraps with lions. What he doesn't do however, is bite off bollocks. Thats a myth. Very little else about him is. A terrific competitor and very hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger

Crown of Thorns Starfish
Crown-of-Thorns-Starfish-1.jpg
Not sure about this fella. Eats coral. Is covered in sharp spines and has a toxic defense as well. Doesn't appear to be overtly aggressive and its defensive systems are mechanical. Wikipedia isn't giving me a lot to work with so whoever nominated and seconded it need to get on the campaign trail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown-of-thorns_starfish

Humans
cage-fighting2.jpg
Always a controversial entrant. Has never really done anything to date in the WHC competition. Physically puny the humans hardness comes from its love of fighting-from car park punch ups to full on nuclear war. Wherever there are people there are people fighting. Also, the cleverest combatants in the contest. They can use their brains to work out winning strategies and to create deadly weapons. That said scale any of the other competitors to human size, stick them in a cage with a human and let them ruck it out, the human will lose pretty much every time. Which is pretty much what this contest is about, pound for pound hardness, so...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

Colossal Squid
tumblr_inline_mham6v9YOo1qhyo98.jpg
This is exactly what it claims to be:a colossal squid. Has an NSC poster named after it. Not much is known about these beasts. They are estimated to grow up to 12-14metres in length. Their arms and tentacles are lined with suckers which are lined with sharp teeth. The tentacles also have sharp hooks, some that swivel and others that are three pronged. Lacerations on Sperm whales bodies are believed to have been caused by these hooks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid

Seagull
seagull.JPG
I suspect the seagull will do well, if for no other reason than its link to the Albion. That said, it is a highly intelligent and brave bird. It has been known to fly into the mouths of surfacing whales to peck out flesh to eat. It loves to dive bomb its victims and will eat just about anything. Will have a go on its own but also loves to attack in a mob. Can take out prey on land, at sea or in the air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gull

Japanese Giant Hornet
5466235211_bd45ea3e83_z.jpg
The Japanese Giant Hornet is another that is exactly what it claims to be, it's a giant hornet from Japan. Very aggressive when provoked it has a powerful venom that has the power to kill if someone is stung enough. In fact, its the second biggest animal killer of humans in Japan (the first being other humans) with about 30-40 deaths a year attributed to it.
Against the European honey bee(imported into Japan because they make more honey than the native Japanese honey bee) it is incredibly deadly. One JGH can kill FORTY european honey bees in a single minute. Thirty JGH can destroy a whole hive of 30,000 european bees in about three hours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_giant_hornet

Australian Box Jellyfish
e7eYgeO.jpg
Unlike your common jellyfish, the Box Jellyfish actively hunts its prey, which it kills with a sting unleashing its deadly venom. It is regarded as one of the most poisonous beasts on earth. Its poison can kill within 2-5minutes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

Hippo
hippo-mouth_1440541c.jpg
A literal and metaphorical heavyweight of the WHC. He is a former winner (2010) and multiple semi-finalist. He combines awesome size, strength and power with wanton irritability and aggressiveness. A herbivore he'll scrap with anything just for the heck of it(as opposed to most animals who fight for food). Been known to attack boats for fun, no provocation needed. Chases humans and other animals all over the place. Hangs out in the same neck of the (again metaphorical) woods as crocodiles and lions. Neither mess with the hippo lightly. Wikipedia describes the hippo as 'indiscriminately ill-tempered' and 'by nature very aggressive'. Always a contender for the title.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus#Aggression

Barnacle Goose
bp_barnacle_goose_2_280506_450.jpg
A debutant in this years WHC. I don't know too much about thm and wikipedia hasn't helped too much. Will need it's nominator [MENTION=3788]Barrel of Fun[/MENTION] to come to its aid. What I can say about it is its hard in a mental way. Parents don't bring food to their goslings. Instead they bring the goslings to the food. The only problem being they build their nests on cliffs...and the goslings cant fly. Therefore the goslings hurl themselves off the cliffs to get to the beach and food. Many don't make it...only the hard ones survive. So an adult barnacle goose is one that has deliberately thrown itself off a cliff and survived...

Rhino
***NSC only allows 10 images per post. the rhino is the 11th competitor in this group so no photo in this post. There'll be one in my next post, directly under this one.***
Despite being huge and having a mega weapon in the middle of its head the rhino has never done much in the WHC competition. It has no natural predators due to its size and rarely gets into rucks with other animals. Not randomly irritable or aggressive like the hippo it struggles to garner votes. Needs a strong marketing campaign if it wants to progress.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
'Hard' Group, Rhino and the Hippo are far superior to most animals in this competition, and much more so than a bloody badger!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Japanese Giant Hornet
One JGH can kill FORTY european honey bees in a single minute. Thirty JGH can destroy a whole hive of 30,000 european bees in about three hours.

You don't need to say more than that. Would you mess with one of these if it were your size, pound for pound? NO CHANCE.

#VOTEHORNET

Attachments

• Hornet.jpg
    Hornet.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 574

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Honey Badger is the Orca of the Savannah. Its even the same colours!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The honey badger? I don't think I've excessively bigged him up. I've given a fair account of what he's about-I've even pointed out that one of its big selling points in the later rounds(i.e its emasculation of opponents) is a myth. It has enough fanboys that it will cruise through the group. That's not bigging it up, just reflecting fact.

Oct 25, 2003
Our intelligence is arguably the "hardest" attribute you could have. I wouldn't say we were "creatures" either, unless you happen to reside in the Croydon area.

i could easily shoot rohan ince in the face and he'd be dead....however in a man on man fist fight he'd destroy me....which one of us is harder?

this isn't the worlds CLEVEREST creature competition....intelligence is intelligence and hardness is hardness

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
i could easily shoot rohan ince in the face and he'd be dead....however in a man on man fist fight he'd destroy me....which one of us is harder?

this isn't the worlds CLEVEREST creature competition....intelligence is intelligence and hardness is hardness

But surely intelligence comes under consideration ??? I would argue attacking things because of base instinct isn't really "hard" either. Surely the truly "hard" creatures have both instinct and intelligence. Of course this argument re the human is utterly redundant. We are the dominant species on the planet. You have to be pretty hard to earn that title.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here