Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Bent

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Daily Telegraph reports Lambert as saying that Brighton did not want to renew Bent's month long loan. If true, and the decision was on football grounds alone, is that the sensible decision given our present situation?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If true then it has to be about money

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lambert has spent two years trying to explain why he refuses to play Bent and uses his return from loans to justify his decision whilst always stressing "it's nothing personal"
Told that Villa wanted us to pay a fee up front plus a considerably higher proportion of Bent's wages to extend the loan and Derby were already sniffing around. We couldn't afford it while Derby (whose expenditure on transfer fees is pretty minimal in recent years) could.
Not all is as it seems. Never quite trust Mr Lambert. His own team's fans certainly don't. ???

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We're swapping Darren Bent for Leon bloody Best. If this is based on football grounds... I give up

This. I hope that we don't look back on losing Bent as the moment we went down.

Strange move for Bent too, going to a team with a 19 goal striker in the form of his life who only play 1 up front? He has 6 months on his contract left, I would've thought it vital for his career at this point that wherever he went now, he would play week in week out? Surely he would get more game time with us?

Maybe we didn't want him...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lambert has spent two years trying to explain why he refuses to play Bent and uses his return from loans to justify his decision whilst always stressing "it's nothing personal"
Told that Villa wanted us to pay a fee up front plus a considerably higher proportion of Bent's wages to extend the loan and Derby were already sniffing around. We couldn't afford it while Derby (whose expenditure on transfer fees is pretty minimal in recent years) could.
Not all is as it seems. Never quite trust Mr Lambert. His own team's fans certainly don't. ???

Always good to dig below the surface of a headline

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

top bombing, cant really see we'd willingly lose him unless there was a significant financial issue, and Lambert clearly has a problem with him. how has that man and that club defied gravity for so long?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bent and players of his quality are way above our means and ambition, no surprise whatsoever that we turned down the opportunity to sign him. I'm just grateful we had a little fillip in a shit first half of the season of having a striker who knew where the goal was, he was never going to stay here.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe he didn't want to stay down here: The Fulham celebration backfired on him; his gaff got turned over; and there was a club after him that was much closer to home. Might be barking up the wrong tree, or that might be in ADDITION to the financial side of things, but whatever - he's gone. Let's get behind the players that ARE here, loans or not.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Bent and players of his quality are way above our means and ambition, no surprise whatsoever that we turned down the opportunity to sign him. I'm just grateful we had a little fillip in a shit first half of the season of having a striker who knew where the goal was, he was never going to stay here.

I sincerely hope not. He didn't look anything particularly special to me. About as good as Ashley Barnes and not as good as Glenn Murray or Ulloa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I sincerely hope not. He didn't look anything particularly special to me. About as good as Ashley Barnes and not as good as Glenn Murray or Ulloa.

2 goals in 4 games, that's the same as the other three strikers we have here have scored all season in the league between them isn't it? What's not to like?

Oh and I'd love us to sign a player like Ashley Barnes for £750k. *shakes head*

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
2 goals in 4 games, that's the same as the other three strikers we have here have scored all season in the league between them isn't it? What's not to like?

Oh and I'd love us to sign a player like Ashley Barnes for £750k. *shakes head*

I agree, it would have been nice to have kept Bent. He was better than what we have at the moment. I was just alluding to your comment that signing a player of his standard was beyond us. I was pointing out that we have already, in the recent past, had forwards, as good if not better than Bent.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
I did hear that he is a bit of a handful off the pitch, like not really wanting to train, causing problems among team mates, and likes to be a bit flash with cars and the ladies all the time. Only what I heard from a Villa fan who knows a few players up there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here