Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

phnom penh... any tips

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Going out here early Feb wth a cuppla mates. Staying at the FCC Hotel. I know I must see the Killing Fields but any other touristy bits you could recommend please. Plus eateries of course? Thanks in advance.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I only spent a few days there, but enjoyed the royal palace and the prison that used to be a school was suitaby harrowing. Watched the sunset from the FCC while enjoying vodka springrolls which was far better than being at street level and watching the locals take a dump in the street!!

If I recall correctly, you can if it's your sort of thing take an RPG and shoot at cows.

Which however wrong it sounds, made me ache with laughter when reading it on here.

Edit:

The link is in Toms post above.

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Great to hear about the Seagulls Bar.
Heading out myself in mid feb,landing in Ho Chi Minh and then heading to PP and on to Siam reap.
Will have to search the bar out,especially as I'm meeting my travelling daughter and her Leeds supporting boyfriend.sounds a good place to meet them..
I take it the numbers on the advertising board are for the address?.
Any advice on Vietnam/ Cambodia would be appreciated.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
The FCC is great! Unsurprisingly the Genocide Museum is pretty depressing, but still worth a visit. There's a great floating restaurant on the river, but I can't recall it's name!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Great to hear about the Seagulls Bar.
Heading out myself in mid feb,landing in Ho Chi Minh and then heading to PP and on to Siam reap.
Will have to search the bar out,especially as I'm meeting my travelling daughter and her Leeds supporting boyfriend.sounds a good place to meet them..
I take it the numbers on the advertising board are for the address?.
Any advice on Vietnam/ Cambodia would be appreciated.

Vietnam; If you are only doing Ho Chi Minh city, the War Museum is a must, along with an excursion to the Cu Chi tunnels (where the Viet Cong literally went and lived - alongside snakes and spiders - underground to hide from American troops during the war) , a short trip out of HCM city - although if you're claustrophobic or, er, on the well-built side, you might not want to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Củ_Chi_tunnels

Also well worth doing are day excursions (from HMC) to the Mekong river for a boat trip (we actually had more time, so did a three day trip, stopping off the some real backwaters for two nights - one of which had a shower where the electricity wasn't 'earthed, so every time you touched the tap to control the water or change the temperature, you got an electric shock - the Radisson it was not!

We were in Cambodia last Easter, for our second visit, having previously done the seaside resort of Kep, PP and Siem Reap. Siem Reap is obviously about the temples (Wats), with Angkor Wat being the most famous and impressive - give yourself a whole day. If you've got time, there are plenty of other temples in the area, some of which are being reclaimed by the forests - sometimes looks like a tree is growing out of a temple wall. One of these temples was used for Raiders of the Lost Ark - http://www.traveltines.com/cambodia_angkor.htm. All the temples/wats are a tuk-tuk ride from Siem Reap - not expensive but agree the price before hand - the drivers will wait for you at the site, all day if agreed, or act as your guide.

The other must see excursion from Siem Reap is a boat trip on Tonle Sap Lake, where the houses are on 'stilts' because the water rises so high in the monsoon seas, and everyone travels by small rowing boat or canoe, even to a house two doors away. Plenty of travel agents in Siem Reap will organise these excursions.

Siem Reap itself is a fantastic laid-back town - albeit full of backpackers and Trustafarians, and even has a Pub Street (literally called that), full of bars, cafes and restaurants. Siem Reap also has a good night market.

Me and Mrs Peteinblack loved the place - although we have since discovered Laos, and its laid-back capital, Luang Prabang.

Haver a great time :thumbsup:

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Thanks peteinblack.
We intend to do the war museum and cu chi tunnels.Have been reading up on the Mekong delta but not sure where or what to visit,we're certainly people who like to meet the real Vietnam so any recommendations would be good.
We have around 17 days to get from HCM to Siem so should have plenty of time.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Thanks peteinblack.
We intend to do the war museum and cu chi tunnels.Have been reading up on the Mekong delta but not sure where or what to visit,we're certainly people who like to meet the real Vietnam so any recommendations would be good.
We have around 17 days to get from HCM to Siem so should have plenty of time.

You might want to visit other cities in Vietnam if you have time, in which case (travelling northwards from HCM) Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi are all well-worth it. If you were to visit Hoi An, do check out the splendid colonial-style Tam-Tam Bar - http://www.vietnamonline.com/restaurant/hoi-an/tam-tam-cafe.html.

If you do Hue, then a day-trip on the Perfume River is a must; the best excursion stops off at 5 temples or pagodas, with motorcycle transport between riverbank and temple at a couple of the stops !.

As for Mekong Delta boat trips; http://mekongdeltatravel.com/index.php?tourlist&idtourkind=8
http://sinhcafe.com/english_pro/south/Mekong Delta Tours.htm

Lots of cafes also operate as travel agents for booking local excursions, so it couldn't be easier.

Of course, Trip Adviser is always a wealth of information: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Search...F__www__2E__tripadvisor__2E__co__2E__uk__2F__

SheffieldSeagulls

Dec 6, 2014
Going out here early Feb wth a cuppla mates. Staying at the FCC Hotel. I know I must see the Killing Fields but any other touristy bits you could recommend please. Plus eateries of course? Thanks in advance.

Try standing in the middle of the square and shout GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!! and see what happens

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here