Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Arry's Coming 'Ome

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With the news that Tony Fernandes has confirmed that QPR will not be sacking Our 'Arry comes the seeming certainty that he will be back among us in the Championship next season.....FFP permitting!

QPR were fined a (suspended) £30m or £40m. - it depends which reports you read - for overspending to buy promotion. The sum is payable before they are accepted back into the Football League.

Now Rangers believe that because the other clubs changed the rules earlier this season allowing higher losses, they can escape any fines under the principle of Lex Mitior or "the lesser law. Simply put if the law changes during the process of the "wrong" then the punishment should be the lesser of the two determinations. So QPR argue that although there were lesser limits on losses last year and this, the higher limits applying from next season should apply.
However this is perhaps undermined if existing punishments are adhered to by clubs like Forest, Blackburn & Leeds and would in any event not prevent club Chairmen from the 72 from rejecting QPR's required application to rejoin them. Likely or unlikely? I suspect a compromise payment but it could be quite an amusing summer before 'Arry is truly back where he belongs!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Since when did a chairman stating that his manager's job is safe actually mean that his job is safe? That sounded very much like a vote of confidence for me.

Their home record isn't all bad, it's just their away form that's dismal. There's quite a bit of competition amongst the Premier League dross this season, so it's quite possible they will survive, despite being largely rubbish. And it'll be another Harry miracle, for sure. Triffic.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I really do think that QPR are going to find themselves in a cough up or join the conference position, it'll be interesting.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I read the other day that if he got the boot from QPR he would be given a position at Bournemouth. Poor sods.

QPR can do one re fines. Go and play in London League 28 or something.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I read the other day that if he got the boot from QPR he would be given a position at Bournemouth. Poor sods.

QPR can do one re fines. Go and play in London League 28 or something.

Still can't figure how bournemuff have massaged their FFP numbers to get away with being talked too rather than sanctioned. Wouldn't happen under Harry!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still can't figure how bournemuff have massaged their FFP numbers to get away with being talked too rather than sanctioned. Wouldn't happen under Harry!

It does seem like sour grapes but I too wonder how the hell they have managed to build that team and pay it on the gates they have had over the last few years. Creative accounting?

Compare it to our crowds and income and then tell me how we have ended up with a team that is SOOO inferior to theirs?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
QPR were fined a (suspended) £30m or £40m. - it depends which reports you read - for overspending to buy promotion. The sum is payable before they are accepted back into the Football League.
The sum should be payable immediately, or you won't be allowed back into the league. Otherwise you're basically saying that there is no fine, unless you one day get relegated again, by which time they could be in administration anyway.

Now Rangers believe that because the other clubs changed the rules earlier this season allowing higher losses, they can escape any fines under the principle of Lex Mitior or "the lesser law. Simply put if the law changes during the process of the "wrong" then the punishment should be the lesser of the two determinations.
But the law hasn't changed during the process of the "wrong" - The wrong was last season, the law is changing for next season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
The sum should be payable immediately, or you won't be allowed back into the league. Otherwise you're basically saying that there is no fine, unless you one day get relegated again, by which time they could be in administration anyway.

But the law hasn't changed during the process of the "wrong" - The wrong was last season, the law is changing for next season.

I agree with both points. The FL is a membership organisation independant of the BPL which is why the FL cannot levy any fine until the club come back within their purview. In theory the FL can say to a relegated club "pay up or you cannot become a member" and the relegated club (QPR) would quite possibly have no redress. But that is not certain and could be tested both in the EU courts and the Court for Sports Arbitration.
It is the issue of subsequent changes and a possible legal challenge, for which there is some precedent, that muddies the water. Coupled with the FL running scared of being cut adrift by the Premier League (the threat of a BPL2 with membership by invitation and no promotion from the FL) they will undoubtably be offered a deal (in my opinion). It's just whether that deal is perceived as fair by FL member clubs and fans or is a total cop-out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with both points. The FL is a membership organisation independant of the BPL which is why the FL cannot levy any fine until the club come back within their purview.
Although the FL cannot now levy a fine and force it through the courts, they can stipulate that if the fine is not paid, then the club will not be allowed to re-enter the league if they ever do get relegated (and paying the fine at that time will not allow them into the Championship). That way the clubs will have to pay the fine immediately, as they couldn't risk not being allowed back in.

In theory the FL can say to a relegated club "pay up or you cannot become a member" and the relegated club (QPR) would quite possibly have no redress.
As above, make the demand now, and if they don't pay and don't challenge it in the courts now then they won't have time to challenge it during the summer break after they're relegated - they simply get dumped into the conference.

Coupled with the FL running scared of being cut adrift by the Premier League (the threat of a BPL2 with membership by invitation and no promotion from the FL)
Seriously? Is that what football fans in this country want? I'd hope there'd be hundreds of thousands of us marching in London, surely that would be tolerated by the fans.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Seriously? Is that what football fans in this country want? I'd hope there'd be hundreds of thousands of us marching in London, surely that would be tolerated by the fans.

I wish I had your belief in he power of fans.
The idea would be welcomed by every club in the current BPL, especially those outside the top 6 or so who would be saved from the perpetual nuisance of potential relegation away from the television cash gravy train and all that goes with it. Their fans would applaud it.
It would be welcomed by Celtic and Rangers who would abandon the Scottish leagues to die a slow death (and do you think their fans would worry?).
Allowing for a smaller BPL1 that leaves maybe12 places up for grabs in a new Premier League2. Include clubs from lower divisions with a significant fan base and appropriate facilities like Sheffield United and you have too many sides in the current Championship but those with the most support will be top of the list and their fans won't be protesting. Indeed with our set up and a good season ahead of the split could you rule us out of the mix for an invitation and would our fans March against it in their thousands? I somehow think not. Premier League Back Door Ready :lolol:
It would surprise me if Tony hadn't factored this in to his calculations as a genuine possibility.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The idea would be welcomed by every club in the current BPL
It's the fans outside of those clubs that would be up in arms.
especially those outside the top 6 or so who would be saved from the perpetual nuisance of potential relegation away from the television cash gravy train and all that goes with it.
But they could still get relegated to the BPL2.

It would be welcomed by Celtic and Rangers who would abandon the Scottish leagues to die a slow death (and do you think their fans would worry?).
Who says they'd be invited? Not that it matters what they think, they wouldn't stop the fans of league clubs fighting it.

Include clubs from lower divisions with a significant fan base and appropriate facilities like Sheffield United and you have too many sides in the current Championship but those with the most support will be top of the list and their fans won't be protesting.
Well we have the best setup and most support outside of the premier league, but I'd be against it even if we were invited and I'd march alongside those from smaller clubs. If I wanted to be part of BPL 1 & 2, I'd support one of the big London clubs. Football isn't about that for me, and although I'm not in the majority, there must be a lot of people who agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here