Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Hypothetical which Stadium would you rather...

Bloom & Co. buys the club in April 1997, saves the club and completely renovates The Goldstone.
The stadium is renovated but retains it's original character and remains an 'original-type' football ground.

OR

Things entirely as they are, modern ground, padded seats, award winning, The Amex etc.

OR

Other e.g Waterhall / Renovated Withdean :lol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its easy to be nostalgic about the Goldstone, some great times, but more me more bad as I didn't support Albion until 1980. In reality was on a small plot of land, renovation to anything decent was a non starter.

Today we have a facility being used for a Rugby World Cup in September, it is pretty much world class. How could we ever want anything else?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Narrowly came down on the side of the Amex.

As already stated, there were real constraints to re-developing the Goldstone. Recent away games have demonstrated how little can be done with existing grounds. Whilst most clubs would not give priority to away ends, those at Fulham, Charlton and Spurs are over-crowded and short on facilities - from toilets to bars. Whilst the home fans probably have better, I would imagine their facilities do not match the away facilities at the Amex.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Has to be the Amex for me, mainly because I think the location of the Goldstone, whilst great for getting to etc would have inhibited expansion - how many seats could we realistically get into there?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a bit like saying, would you rather renovate on old dark Victorian House or have a super insulated new build with lots of light, a deck and an outdoor pool

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The balance between nostalgia and common sense.
To those of us who spent years at the Goldstone, there is always the temptation to look back with rose-tinted specs. The reality is that we have moved forward and are able to offer facilities that compete with the top 10-12 clubs in the country.
Happy days but a happier future.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I don't think some Albions fan realise how good we've got it... take the Amex away and they'll only be saying 'oh I wish we had better facilities etc'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How many would this 'renovated Goldstone' seat, then? About 12,000?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So you're asking us to choose between The Amex or something likely to resemble a small Loftus Road? I think I know where my vote is going.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Match days at the Goldstone Ground were raw, electric (at times) experiences. The Amex is pleasant.

Football was better in the olden days!

Anyone for a Werthers?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
IF TB could have bought all the homes in Goldstone Lane and the rest of the block the Goldstone was on and they could get the restrictions on the East side lifted, then the site would be much better. What really brought it home was when me and the missus went to Norwich we had lunch in the city centre and walked to Carrow Road. It was just like old times with fans approaching the ground from all directions to create a traditional pre match atmosphere. The only problem compared to the old days would be the council's attitude to on street parking - I am sure they would have ****ed things up for everyone.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Match days at the Goldstone Ground were raw, electric (at times) experiences. The Amex is pleasant.

Amex every time. I was fortunate to start going to the Goldstone just before the dawn of the Mullery era. The couple of years or promotion etc apart, or the "backs against the wall" of the Bellotti era, I just dont think the Goldstone was any different to most other clubs. Often it was sedate, for many years without a roof on the North Stand it had very little atmosphere. Yes there was a rawness about some matches - there was more trouble, fencing, police marhes from the station, and small crowds. It had it's moments, that tended to tie in with Club's history not the ground. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but much rather have everything we have now. The atmosphere is pretty good for a home crowd, but it has it's quiet times and it's rowdy times - again they are tied in with what is happening in the league or on the pitch. A bigger crowd always means the passion is diluted somewhat. Remember Liverpool when we played them in the Cup at Anfield a couple of years ago..it is a horrible ground to visit - not able to cope with the crowd, cant sit down even at half time and they were so quiet despite winning 6-1!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A ground situated amongst houses and parks is preferable to one in the middle of nowhere. The Amex IS a bit of a hassle to get to and from and although I have a fabulous seat I would swap if for being able to stroll to the ground from a house/pub/shopping area. I'd be happy in a 16K seater, it would be enough for us to be doing just as well as we are now. Having the biggest crowd in the division without the team to match it is not really that big a deal imo. I don't go to the football to sit in plush surroundings although it is nice once you are there I admit.

Renovated Goldstone for me, full of hard core fans and a few JCLs and glory hunters when the times are good. I don't get a hard on because we have big crowds :smile:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Amex every time. I was fortunate to start going to the Goldstone just before the dawn of the Mullery era. The couple of years or promotion etc apart, or the "backs against the wall" of the Bellotti era, I just dont think the Goldstone was any different to most other clubs. Often it was sedate, for many years without a roof on the North Stand it had very little atmosphere. Yes there was a rawness about some matches - there was more trouble, fencing, police marhes from the station, and small crowds. It had it's moments, that tended to tie in with Club's history not the ground. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but much rather have everything we have now. The atmosphere is pretty good for a home crowd, but it has it's quiet times and it's rowdy times - again they are tied in with what is happening in the league or on the pitch. A bigger crowd always means the passion is diluted somewhat. Remember Liverpool when we played them in the Cup at Anfield a couple of years ago..it is a horrible ground to visit - not able to cope with the crowd, cant sit down even at half time and they were so quiet despite winning 6-1!!
I like the Amex, it's amazing really that our (often) crappy team can call it home......but I do miss the old ground. I guess when you're a teenager everything is so much more exciting, perhaps it is my younger self I miss!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Depends what the capacity of a newly renovated Goldstone Ground could have been. If it would have matched the 30,000 we have now then I'd have the Goldstone Ground without a doubt. Going to the Amex has always felt more like going to an arena, not a football ground to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here