Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon

Jul 17, 2014
I absolutely love the guy and his commitment to the club, but he definitely isn't up to playing championship football. In my opinion he was (jointly with Greer) at fault for yesterdays goal and in recent weeks a lot of goals have come down his side (early goal at Reading springs to mind).

He does offer an attacking threat, but is a liability defensively and Bruno is know better.

Offer him a coaching role and sign a replacement CHAMPIONSHIP STANDARD right-back as soon as possible.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I said this on another thread. We need a better and younger right-back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Said in The Argus he wants a new contract but didnt do that wish any good yesterday but then as a standby who could play anywhere across the back four could be considered subject to wages.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Calde is a solid back up but not first choice standard in terms of quality. Think we should have let Bruno's contract run out and replace him at the end of the season personally. We are in need of a new right back as well as a decent left back on a permanent contract. Also hoping Glen Rea might start pushing for a first team spot soon to ease our aging defense problem.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I tend to agree now he's ageing a bit but would def give a new contract as he's a great player to have around and needs to be working for the club long after his playing days imo!

He's good back up and can play anywhere in the back line...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didn't realise that Bruno has never made any mistakes.

Calde got caught out and lost possession but there was still a lot to do before the ball ended up in the net!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Calde got caught out and lost possession but there was still a lot to do before the ball ended up in the net!

Calde also burst through to have a decent chance in the first half, and was the only player really giving it some in the last 10 minutes.

We've had a limp season, carrying a fair few passengers, contracted and loaned in.
Had the team shown Caldesque commitment, irrespective of ability, we wouldn't be where we are now.

That's before mentioning his goal(s) and assists, which in themselves have been a rarity.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Does being a nice bloke qualify him as a coach? Maybe offer CMS a similar role too ... and my Uncle Steve

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does being a nice bloke qualify him as a coach? Maybe offer CMS a similar role too ... and my Uncle Steve
Has your uncle Steve got a master's degree in sport psychology and is he also a qualified teacher?

Letting those qualifications alone leave our coaching set up would be criminal.
Those qualifications plus bleeding blue & white would be sheer madness.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I agree, and in further defence of Calde, Greer fired the ball at Calderon when he had two players marking him and nowhere to go. It was one of the 20 or 30 times Greer made very, very poor decisions in terms of his distribution.

However, there is no doubt a younger right back is an absolute must. I fear that the club has already made their decision (and the wrong one in my opinion) by giving Bruno another year.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I absolutely love the guy and his commitment to the club, but he definitely isn't up to playing championship football. In my opinion he was (jointly with Greer) at fault for yesterdays goal and in recent weeks a lot of goals have come down his side (early goal at Reading springs to mind).

He does offer an attacking threat, but is a liability defensively and Bruno is know better.

Offer him a coaching role and sign a replacement CHAMPIONSHIP STANDARD right-back as soon as possible.

It seems strange to single out Calde considering that he has been part of a defence that has kept clean sheets in the previous three matches and that, in the Reading game he scored the equaliser in the 90th minute.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bruno has the ability to find that killer pass or cross has to start ahead of Calderon in my view.

I thought the OP was suggesting Bruno because he is a better defender! Now it's because he can find a killer pass or cross. Not sure I have seen many of them.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Bruno is, in my opinion, a complete liability in defence. Makes very little effort to get back, often caught out of position. This forces Greer out wide, leaving a hole in the middle. While Calderon isn't perfect, he's caught out far less often, at least by my memory.

That's not to say that Bruno is bad overall. I think Bruno is good in midfield, played on the right with Calderon as the full back. Letting the two of them overlap seems the best option.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here