Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it change from Ground to stadium?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I was brought up when where a team played was more often than not reffered to as a "ground" However more and more I here people say Stadium when did this start to change? Not a problem just interested in when it started chaning as most people my age lder mid - late thirties and older use ground but alot of 20 and younger stadium.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
p

I was brought up when where a team played was more often than not reffered to as a "ground" However more and more I here people say Stadium when did this start to change? Not a problem just interested in when it started chaning as most people my age lder mid - late thirties and older use ground but alot of 20 and younger stadium.

Jeez, I used to watch football at "Parks":(

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd venture it was when they changed from being a elaborate cow shed to an all surrounding auditorium. but then im sure some older sheds were called stadiums and they still call them grounds in cricket.

Jul 7, 2003
Back in the day, the only Stadium in English football I can think of was Wembley. Strangely though, I'm sure that many of the dog tracks were called stadiums.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
When i grew up, we played in a ground and dogs ran around a stadium, both in Hove

*edit* beaten to it by thedonkeycentrehalf

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Americanism?

polo13977.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
StadiA, it is stadiA

Stadiums and stadia are both accepted plurals of the word stadium. Look it up in the dictionary before you come on these discussion fora thinking you know it all, we are not ancient Romans you know. Or do you have some kind of hidden agendums?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would go with when naming rights came in, and the sponsor wanted to be associated with something that from a PR perspective gave a better impression. Until then stadium was probably only used where more than one sport was played/watched there.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think all football grounds have always been Stadiums (Stadia) even if they were not called it - Villa Park for example is a Stadium, as was the Goldstone Ground.

I would suggest that most new grounds have had Stadium in their name because their owners have usually spent a huge amount of money they have not got building them, and it makes them sound posher.

The word comes from a Greek measure of length and is defined as a place with a field or stage partially or wholly surrounded by structures for spectators to sit or stand. According to Wiki anyway.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
My take...Football used to be played mostly at Grounds with stands/seats on sides and perhaps at ends. A stadium is what most have now.One building surrounding the pitch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here