Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why it's vitally important that we do not denounce Barber

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Must be doing something right if two thirds of his pay is bonus and commission.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Must be doing something right if two thirds of his pay is bonus and commission.

Exactly. And as I've said elsewhere his remuneration package and associated targets etc (see below) would have been ratified by the board and ultimately signed off by TB.

I'd like that to be a little nearer to 90% to justify his £600k salary.

He's clearly on a you will get X% of any efficiency savings you make type deal but would hope and imagine that these are paid out to him over a number of years on a deferred earnings type deal whereby he can't just make one of savings to get a good bonus but the savings have to be proven to have not negatively impacted on operations or some such other metric.

Either way knowing what I know about CEO packages etc it does seem to be slightly higher than average given the size of the company but clearly he is doing a very good job.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Exactly. And as I've said elsewhere his remuneration package and associated targets etc (see below) would have been ratified by the board and ultimately signed off by TB.

He's clearly on a you will get X% of any efficiency savings you make type deal but would hope and imagine that these are paid out to him over a number of years on a deferred earnings type deal whereby he can't just make one of savings to get a good bonus but the savings have to be proven to have not negatively impacted on operations or some such other metric.

Either way knowing what I know about CEO packages etc it does seem to be slightly higher than average given the size of the company but clearly he is doing a very good job.

I agree, he's meeting his targets.

It just irks me the way and the circumstances under which he is doing so.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
76% increase in operating profits.

The bloke is bringing it.

But he's not a man of PEACE is he as they all seem to claim. Far too many of his SORT in football if you ask me, never a problem 30 years ago and we were all much better for it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'd like that to be a little nearer to 90% to justify his £600k salary.

As he reduced the club's losses last year by £4.7M he seems good value for money or at least, his boss and those clued in think so.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Interesting, he is being compared on performance relative to his predecessor (dontvforget martin perry was ceo and Ken Brown was managing director) rather than performance against peer group

He is overseeing a reduction in income from.ticket sales and catering. Two key touchpoints with supporters and also the basis onnwhich future contracts and sponsorships will be costed.

I'm.not saying he's a naughty boy, but he's not necessarily the Messiah either.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
As he reduced the club's losses last year by £4.7M he seems good value for money or at least, his boss and those clued in think so.

His product is the football.

Barber increased the cost he was selling the product for, and people were prepared to pay it as there was a possibility of promotion.

He won't be able to do the same this year, as the product is far inferior.

Jul 7, 2003
Can't help but notice now the lack of people queuing for beer and pies, seems people are giving up on them

Arrived in WSU twenty minutes before kick-off and the queues for food and drink were only two or three deep in the centre outlets. In previous years, there would have been three times as many people queuing at that time.

It's not just beer and pies - it is the other high profit margin things that are taking a hit. £2.10 for a Bovril which I think was £1.20 when we first got to the Amex. Tea, bottled soft drinks are other examples of very high prices. I know the Amex is not alone in this but when non-alcoholic drinks get that expensive, people will start bringing their own in. All of that hits the profit margin as if you are not going to queue for drink, then the impulse buys - be they crisps, chocolate or a pie - will not happen.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
76% increase in operating profits.

The bloke is bringing it.
From an utter mess that made Palace look like a site of commercial prudence. Comparing him to Brown is not a good benchmark. I believe we're now around where palace were with far fewer fans and very cheap tickets. Let's see how it goes next year, which may well prove his worth without redundancy payments and with the corrective work largely in place. We can then compare the positive value against the negative impact.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I would say the product is the whole experience. If people enjoy their day out, win or lose, they'll continue to pay. Granted football is a large percentage of it.

Given that the amount I'm paying to take four family/friends to the game on Sunday will be north of £200 the experience will have to be absolutely fantastic for me to think it's good value. Never mind, I'm an old supporter, a fully marinated long term fan. But let's see what Paul Barber's strategy is for bringing in brand new customers next season to replace the existing supporters his policies mean he is danger of losing - and then judge.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Given that the amount I'm paying to take four family/friends to the game on Sunday will be north of £200 the experience will have to be absolutely fantastic for me to think it's good value. Never mind, I'm an old supporter, a fully marinated long term fan. But let's see what Paul Barber's strategy is for bringing in brand new customers next season to replace the existing supporters his policies mean he is danger of losing - and then judge.

Spot on. Really don't understand the love in that people have with Barber. Obviously some get little tit bits to keep them sweet but others just must love to believe I guess. If he pulls it out of the bag and delivers continued improved commercial performance then I guess we can assess against the negative stuff. If he does demonstrate his commercial prowess then I'll just have to swallow his 'way' as the price of success. He's not there yet though

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Spot on. Really don't understand the love in that people have with Barber. Obviously some get little tit bits to keep them sweet but others just must love to believe I guess. If he pulls it out of the bag and delivers continued improved commercial performance then I guess we can assess against the negative stuff. If he does demonstrate his commercial prowess then I'll just have to swallow his 'way' as the price of success. He's not there yet though

Barber's main objective is to maximise our revenue streams. He has to make unpopular decisions.
Can you think of any other ways to maximise the income into our club to make it profitable and therefore, competitive and sustainable. If so, could you let us know please.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here