Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New feature: banning users from a thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So the mods should be spending Sunday banning all palace users from all Albion threads.... One would assume ;)

You haven't seen it in practise yet...hang on a bit before you get too depressed

change-is-bad-300x222.gif

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Most NSC users and, I dare say, all of the mods, enjoy the robust debates that happen here. I think it is highly unlikely that mods will be intervening to stop that. I certainly won't.

Hurrah for Snowball !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So nothing has changed yet you said ......

"A new feature has been added that allows a moderator to ban a user from a thread. So, if someone is being a bit anti-social or, despite warnings, keeps returning to a thread and making provocative posts, then their ability to view and post to that thread can be removed. "

That does not sound very optional to me ? The mandatory thread icons was at least put to a vote and when there was no clear majority, you said along the lines of " Well sod you all, I won't bother " . This could at least have been discussed. For all it's faults NSC can be an amazingly vibrant democracy given it's chance.

Sorry - I misinterpreted what you said - I was reading on my phone whilst trying to cook breakfast - I was referring to the thread categories which have been in place in an optional capacity for some time.

I imagine there are a whole load of changes I've put in without putting it to the vote. Thumbs was probably one for a start.

As [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] has since said - this changes nothing in terms of robust debate but does, for example, give moderators another option to deal with the "Palace troll on a Brighton thread" reports that we see a lot of. Besides that, I'm struggling to think of when it will be used, but it's certainly not to stop people being controversial.

As ever with new implementations, I'll be closing reviewing how it is used and tweaking (removing) as may be appropriate.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Besides that, I'm struggling to think of when it will be used, but it's certainly not to stop people being controversial.

That will certainly keep bushy and DaveInPrague happy during a head to head binfest. :lolol:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
This won't impact most NSCers directly, although most may well get some benefit from it.

A new feature has been added that allows a moderator to ban a user from a thread. So, if someone is being a bit anti-social or, despite warnings, keeps returning to a thread and making provocative posts, then their ability to view and post to that thread can be removed.

Users will still get warnings for troll-like behaviour, but by being banned from a thread it should minimise the chances of a thread being de-railed.

Will you be banning yourself from viewing & posting on the thread you started calling everyone "Tossers" ? :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This won't impact most NSCers directly, although most may well get some benefit from it.

A new feature has been added that allows a moderator to ban a user from a thread. So, if someone is being a bit anti-social or, despite warnings, keeps returning to a thread and making provocative posts, then their ability to view and post to that thread can be removed.

Users will still get warnings for troll-like behaviour, but by being banned from a thread it should minimise the chances of a thread being de-railed.

Its the tally ban

Bozza-Can you please explain the colours and meanings of the envelopes on the left hand side of the new look Site?

ta muchly

TNBA

TTF

Go to The Big Board Page, scroll down and bottom left it shows what they mean.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Only if the mods actually explain to rest of us mere mortals, what they have done and why. Otherwise is starts to look like censorship... "you can only post so long as you agree with my opinion". Also it might provoke lots of similar threads by those banned from the original. It depends how much you trust all the mods to remain as fair, consistent and impartial as a typical Championship referee (one or two can have hasty triggar fingers).

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Only if the mods actually explain to rest of us mere mortals, what they have done and why. Otherwise is starts to look like censorship... "you can only post so long as you agree with my opinion". Also it might provoke lots of similar threads by those banned from the original. It depends how much you trust all the mods to remain as fair, consistent and impartial as a typical Championship referee (one or two can have hasty triggar fingers).

The problem being, it invariably creates a binfest, I completely agree with you about explanations, sadly in many cases, some (a few) will respond against the Mod in question and not against the decision being given, this is a fact as I know only to well from the past.
As for fair, consistent and impartial, I think we are all that, but of course if I say for example ban someone you know very well, and others know well, my decision is never seen as that by those few people.
When a person is banned by normal means, we all put why in the "Mods decisions" section, but if someone is banned by the totting up of multiple infractions, then no, it is not, the automatic ban is only known between the Mods and the person concerned.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I reckon it would be more fun if you set it up so the person who started the thread can ban people from it. The binfest possibilities of that are spectacular.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Ideally the mods would like to keep the forum to a narrow demographic for friends and others who share their sensibilities. You might encounter someone who is frequently rude, offensive and wonder why he [he mainly] is never banned. You might encounter others who are banned just because he/she ruffles some feathers. Draw your own conclusions. If you can annoy people who are set in their ways, it should usually be a good thing which should be encouraged for a healthy forum. otherwise it can be ahhhh! zzzzzzzzzzz

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You couldn't be more wrong, I have a very good mate on here who I have banned at least twice on here (for very good reason I might add!) we encourage everyone to NSC even away fans.

I think past and very recent events have shown how much of a close knit community we are, regardless of where ANY of us live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here