Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why play two defensive midfielders...

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
...at home, against Brentford?

Our midfield has so little craft and fluidity that it is unsurprising that our strikers become so isolated.

I noted when Brentford attacked they commited four or five bods forwards so were always a threat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two defensive midfielders works well and is used by many teams now. Even monied Chelski use it to bully other teams into submission, with their inpenetrable back 6 (7 with a goalie) in many games.

With us, Ince now actually offers and is producing much more than that, with creativity too. If we were talking two Bridcutt types, you would have been correct in your observation.

Our problems lie up front and in attack in general with no pace, and CMS / Baldock seemingly not good enough.

Plus ageing Greer and Calderon, getting exposed for mistakes or pace.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Our midfield has so little craft and fluidity that it is unsurprising that our strikers become so isolated.

I noted when Brentford attacked they commited four or five bods forwards so were always a threat.

Said in a Thread about Holla --- He NEVER got over the half-way line after a pass to a forward.
Lazy or been told not to?
I think lazy.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Because they are a good team, who can attack. As someone said before, they battered us at there place for most of the match. Nothing wrong with being solid in the middle

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think two defensive midfielders would work at home if we had four good attacking players ahead of them. I'd stick with it on Wednesday but start with March, Colunga, Teixera and O'Grady.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Been saying this for months. Good post

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Because they are a good team, who can attack. As someone said before, they battered us at there place for most of the match. Nothing wrong with being solid in the middle

This isn't something that's been introduced for this game. We have been playing with 2 DM's for months now. It's clearly a negative way to play unless you have the legs in there to support the front players when we break.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This isn't something that's been introduced for this game. We have been playing with 2 DM's for months now. It's clearly a negative way to play unless you have the legs in there to support the front players when we break.

I don't buy that its two solid mids that is the problem

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

This in bundles-----Holla in particular was forty yards behind play and made no attempt to close the gap.
If he is knackered he should try another sport.

Professor

Apr 30, 2012
With the lack of quality in the squad, two DMs protecting the back four at least means the team is less likely to lose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cause if we play 4-1-4-1 or just one, the opposition can take advantage (or we could have done of Baldock and CMS weren't hopeless). The single defensive midfielder cannot cover the whole of the pitch and the opponents can simply long pass around him into space (need an Elliott Bennett or a Will Buckley for this, Baldock proved he was not a quick enough and a mistaken signing for that role) and that is how we beat a superior QPR team at the Amex.

Brentford was a good test at our shortcomings.

Classic 4-3-3 gets around this as one defensive midfielder occupies central midfield (when we have the ball). Rohan Ince could play this role. Enables us to play a winger and on the other side of the pitch an overlapping full back (like Stephen Ward or Wayne Bridge).

In short, we had the team I expected to do well this season until we sold Buckley, did not replace Buckley (nigh impossible) and failed to sign Stephen Ward. I felt a bit cheated on my season ticket with the failed promises. Holla is not the replacement for Bridcutt either. (I was hoping we would get a defensive playmaker.)

4-2-1-2-1 as I see our system was better than expected. Defeats down to individual mistakes, weakness on our right hand side when Bruno is not playing and without a quick right winger, the opposing left back can venture forward. To me it is all down to selling players and not getting replacements. Shambles in recruitment.

It had to be this season as now Bruno and Greer are getting on in years.

PS: I did not mind getting rid of Barnes as I thought that a smaller skillful player could play second striker and I would like to see Lualua be given this role (more a Messi type). I was resigned to losing Ulloa. Good luck to him. I don't blame recruitment for that. Replacing him will be horrendously difficult. O'Grady was not a bad decision. Bent was very understandable and could have been good.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Only Ince is anywhere near good enough out of the midfielders who were out there yesterday.All the better options are currently injured or on the bench.Colunga and Tex played really well at Fulham and offer so much more.Hopefully we can add a decent one as well this month,i have never known midfielders to offer so little as Holla and Caskey do.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think two defensive midfielders would work at home if we had four good attacking players ahead of them. I'd stick with it on Wednesday but start with March, Colunga, Teixera and O'Grady.

I'm with you on the attacking four, with the possible exception of Baldock for Tex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here