Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Referee

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Truly baffling and inconsistent

Only decisions correct were cautioning Dunk twice.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Him and the Lino made a right pair today. Worst we've had in a while.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
All the refs we have are bald control freaks!!! The lino on east side was useless!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
His incompetence was best displayed when a Brentford player was offside, and Danny Holla took the freekick quickly to put CMS through on goal. The ref called it back to take it again from the 'right place', which he deemed to be 10 yards behind the linesman whereas the first kick had been level with him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How can you blow the whistle for offside when the player is in their own half and also give offside when the ball has come off the defender which the lino has seen but then overruled him ?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It was pretty laughable, some of his decisions were just petty. The less said about the linos the better

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His incompetence was best displayed when a Brentford player was offside, and Danny Holla took the freekick quickly to put CMS through on goal. The ref called it back to take it again from the 'right place', which he deemed to be 10 yards behind the linesman whereas the first kick had been level with him.

I thought he pulled it back because the ball was still moving.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wasn't paying attention at the time but also in the second half the goalie's goal kick apparently didn't clear the area before it reached the defender but lots of fans were remonstrating. I thought that was an indirect freekick if true. I seem to recall Peter Beardsley pointing it out to the ref in an England game abroad once (Yugoslavia?)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I thought he pulled it back because the ball was still moving.

It was, however Brentford did the same within a few minutes and were allowed to play on. It was his inconsistency that was the main issue, in my opinion.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He was obvious in first 5 mins that this game was going to be "all about me - the football is a side show - I am the ref and I am the star" it was clear that after the game we would be talking about him being central to the key point(s) of the game. Just didn't know then whether it would be for or against us. After about 15min I was sure it would be against us.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Further compounded by the fact he'd let play go on for Brentford in the same situation ten minutes before.

Hope this ref looks at his performance today. Shameful, absolutely shameful.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
It is a shame, officials like everyone do have off days and I don't have a problem with that - in some ways it is part of the entertainment and fun trying to figure out how the official came to the decision he did - but the three that we had today were unfortunately an embarrassment to the Football League and to referees who do try their hardest and occasionally make bad mistakes. How the linesman with the chequered flag managed to miss so many blatant offsides and fouls is beyond my comprehension.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wasn't paying attention at the time but also in the second half the goalie's goal kick apparently didn't clear the area before it reached the defender but lots of fans were remonstrating. I thought that was an indirect freekick if true. I seem to recall Peter Beardsley pointing it out to the ref in an England game abroad once (Yugoslavia?)

Nope, the kick would just be retaken. Would be a cracking way of wasting a few seconds late in the game. Kick it short to a defender who touches it in the box then innocently plays a long ball before the ref orders a retake

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The most jokable thing was when he made Holla move the ball into the corner after he has positioned the ball on the edge. He clearly isn't aware of the rules and doesn't realise a ball is not square.

I thought their number 23 conned/cheated the incompetent ref as well. I have seen a small push like Dunk did many times over the past few weeks on match of the day/sky and the ref just had a word and got on with the game.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
If the Lino on the west had flagged as soon as dunk was fouled then he wouldn't have been so wound out that he pushed the player. Instead the ref had to blow up from 30 yards away.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He won't be promoted to the PL anytime soon.

In my opinion, he liked showing he was the top dog at every opportunity, was inconsistent (bringing back unimportant freekicks because taken at the wrong spot or a rolling ball, but allowing it later on), he couldn't wait to dish out the yellow for Dunk 'raising his hand' where some officials might have had a strong word, and was far too noticeable in a game where neither team was too physical or persistently cheated.

He wasn't the reason we lost the game (ageing Greer's blunder turned the game in their favour), but he ruined the flow of the game and was overly officious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here