Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hikers Rest

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
No proof - but it is. Tesco Express I believe.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sad news then. Don't use it as much as i should but, as a Coldean Boy, it's my local & I thought the Amex matches had ensured it's future.

Oh, and good to have you back, lad!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
When I went to Moulsecoomb Seniors, at lunch time the PE teacher used to give me 50 pence to borrow my motor scooter and helmet so that he could nip up there for a quick pint.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Has anyone been in the Bevy in Bevendean since it reopened? What's it like?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
No proof - but it is. Tesco Express I believe.

Let's hope not! It was my nearest pub during my first year studying at Brighton Polytechnic as it was at the time. The locals hated the students and to be honest it was a no go area.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Has anyone been in the Bevy in Bevendean since it reopened? What's it like?

Been in a few times. A great little pub, couple of real ales on tap and a good (and very popular) roast dinner on Sunday.
Pub is now run by the ex Romans landlord Chris Pobjoy

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not another pub :nono::nono::nono: use your local or you will lose it! Cuckfield are losing or lost 3 of it 6 pubs that's 50% of it pubs
Haywards Heath has lost 5 Pubs and 2 bars that I can remember since I lived in the Heath Burgess hill have lost The Royal George Kings Head and the Junction not small pubs! We have had a few new pubs in Burgess Hill and Heath but often these are big chains doing the same sort of food! And boring!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, it always seems busy when I'm in there. If HR can't make a go of it with its trade, things must be bad for the pub business

It's perfectly possible to run a pub at a profit. The problem is that even more money can be made by closing pubs down and turning them into either shops or housing.

If the government won't pass laws to prevent this, then the local council should refuse planning applications to change the use of community buildings, like The Hikers, where there are no alternative licensed premises within a reasonable distance.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I should imagine the match day parking restrictions didn't help in raising their turnover. Have the residents shot themselves in the foot?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not another pub :nono::nono::nono: use your local or you will lose it! Cuckfield are losing or lost 3 of it 6 pubs that's 50% of it pubs
Haywards Heath has lost 5 Pubs and 2 bars that I can remember since I lived in the Heath Burgess hill have lost The Royal George Kings Head and the Junction not small pubs! We have had a few new pubs in Burgess Hill and Heath but often these are big chains doing the same sort of food! And boring!

And the worst of it is: they're all turning into Co-Ops. The site of the Junction, Burgess Hill: Co-op. The old pub in Cuckfield: Co-op. The one in Cowfold: Co-op. Everywhere I look these days, there's a Co-op. How many Co-ops can we realistically take? Oddly, people seem to argue when (say) Tesco Express try and wangle their way in. Yet slowly, we're all being taken over by luminous green & black façades, and nobody seems to notice.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
The Albion in Albion Hill was closed when I walked past it on Saturday, screens up in the windows, has been up for sale for a few months.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
And the worst of it is: they're all turning into Co-Ops. The site of the Junction, Burgess Hill: Co-op. The old pub in Cuckfield: Co-op. The one in Cowfold: Co-op. Everywhere I look these days, there's a Co-op. How many Co-ops can we realistically take? Oddly, people seem to argue when (say) Tesco Express try and wangle their way in. Yet slowly, we're all being taken over by luminous green & black façades, and nobody seems to notice.

Stadium in Hove soon to be a Coop

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Think that's a valid question. I use to drive to and park in Coldean for midweek games. Quite often i would grab a pint or two and possibly a bag of chips. That all stopped when the parking restrictions were enforced.

Quoted wrong person suppose to be [MENTION=12195]skipper734[/MENTION]

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's perfectly possible to run a pub at a profit.

My experience is only if you are a free house or chain, not as part of a brewery/company tenancy. No idea if this applies to the Hikers or not.

My experience is only if you are a free house or chain, not as part of a brewery/company tenancy. No idea if this applies to the Hikers or not.
I never said that the profit will always be made by the people who work in the pub. Very often it's the pub co. But profit there is. And for some, there is more profit in selling the pub than in running it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here