Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

E g m called for rangers

Bucharest49

May 12, 2014
More woes for rangers dave king calls for a egm re new board members to stop the loan deal of mike ashley from have the ibrox ground as security for a £10 million loan ,

Hundreds outside the ground protesting hope they go and watch the game which starst soon v hearts

Live on bt sport 1 now on

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Could this all end with Rangers going bust again and starting up in division 3 again.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the Rangers situation but it does seem to be a case of a lesson not being learnt somewhere.

They went bust due to debts owed/bad management, fair enough, not fun and they had my sympathy. Then, they reform in the lowest division of Scottish football (not known for being awash with sponsorship deals and the like) and attempt to play up the leagues. This is entirely reasonable and, again, fair enough.

All of this is completely admirable except, since relegation, they've tried to maintain the second highest wage bill in the country, whilst stil complaining about ongoing money issues.
Surely, if survival is the main aim of the club (rather than trying to live up to what they once were) they'd have let contracts expire/find a way to release players and build from the bottom up. Yes it would have taken longer but surely with their fanbase enthusiastically pumping money in they'd still have been in a better state than most other Scottish clubs?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the Rangers situation but it does seem to be a case of a lesson not being learnt somewhere.

They went bust due to debts owed/bad management, fair enough, not fun and they had my sympathy. Then, they reform in the lowest division of Scottish football (not known for being awash with sponsorship deals and the like) and attempt to play up the leagues. This is entirely reasonable and, again, fair enough.

All of this is completely admirable except, since relegation, they've tried to maintain the second highest wage bill in the country, whilst stil complaining about ongoing money issues.
Surely, if survival is the main aim of the club (rather than trying to live up to what they once were) they'd have let contracts expire/find a way to release players and build from the bottom up. Yes it would have taken longer but surely with their fanbase enthusiastically pumping money in they'd still have been in a better state than most other Scottish clubs?

If the board(s) hadn't just been in it to make a quick buck for themselves then it might have happened. Mike Ashley is no better - only in it so he can get a good deal to flog Rangers tops in his Sports Direct shops.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If the board(s) hadn't just been in it to make a quick buck for themselves then it might have happened. Mike Ashley is no better - only in it so he can get a good deal to flog Rangers tops in his Sports Direct shops.

Quite possibly, I was astonished when they turned down a 20m bid to buy the club last (this?) week, as it 'undervalued' them. Crazy.

I'm not sure what Ashley's aim is. The SFA won't let him own more of the club than he already does so whilst he could (in theory) gain ownership of the stadium and training ground he'll never be in a position to control the team using them...just their rents.

(Also, I think he already gets most of the income from Rangers merchandise sales, could be wrong though!)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here