Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Yet only four miles away in Falmer are kids who, unbelievably, have never seen the sea."

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
"Yet only four miles away in Falmer are kids who, unbelievably, have never seen the sea."

Article in today's Times by Janice Turner talking about a visit to the Brighton Aldridge Community Academy. She says that "Brighton is now far ritzier than the crumbling, stuccoed town I remember" (when she studied at the University of Sussex), but then talks about deprived council estate kids who have never seen the sea.

Can there really be kids in Falmer who have never been taken to see the sea? I do find that very hard to believe.

And writing about the Green Party she says "... the main reason they look likely to lose power in May is Brighton's appalling refuse collection".

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My friends Aunt adopted a boy from Whitehawk, he was about 4 or 5 at the time, he had never been to the sea front or seen an escalator, he was terrified the first time he faced a set of moving stairs. True story, sad but true.

Oct 25, 2003
my mum used to be a social worker in brighton and definitely came across many kids who had never seen the sea...it was more in areas like hollingbury and patcham

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
About 5 years ago it was on our local news that 10% of kids who live in Plymouth had never seen the sea.
It shocked me so much that I remember it clearly.
Don't know the background but there are some very deprived areas of Plymouth but at least they are being regenerated.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My friends Aunt adopted a boy from Whitehawk, he was about 4 or 5 at the time, he had never been to the sea front or seen an escalator, he was terrified the first time he faced a set of moving stairs. True story, sad but true.

my mum used to be a social worker in brighton and definitely came across many kids who had never seen the sea...it was more in areas like hollingbury and patcham

Yes, but this report says 'never SEEN the sea', not 'never been for a nice day out at the seaside'. Surely the poor kid from Whitehawk or Hollingbury just has to turn their head in the right direction, to SEE it!

(My Mum is also a social worker in Brighton, btw)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, but this report says 'never SEEN the sea', not 'never been for a nice day out at the seaside'. Surely the poor kid from Whitehawk or Hollingbury just has to turn their head in the right direction, to SEE it!

You can't see the sea from my house in Coldean, nor could you from the one I grew up in Moulsecoomb. It's hard to miss it from Whitehawk, although there was a report in a paper a few years back about kids in Whitehawk - about 1km from the sea, who'd never been to the beach

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
There are definitely some kids in Falmer 'who have never been taken to see the sea'. They may well be the same kids who wear no coats in winter, have no carpets at home, wear the same socks all week, have a packet of crisps for breakfast , have no books or pens and paper at home and, funnily enough, are not too keen on school holidays.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think the problem is people don't walk - kids don't walk - anymore. I'd happily wander 5 miles up the canal when I was a kid, but now no-one does. Nowhere in Brighton & Hove is more than an hour's walk from the seafront is it (75% of places are less than half that)? If people are not seeing the sea it's because they are either (a) lazy kids, (b) have over-protective parents or (c) all of the above. The kids should be taken into care, the parents should be shot. End of.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i call bullshit too. this would suggest their parents have never tried to take them on a bus about 1-2miles: that they have never been to London Road, Churchill Square or the Cinema. unless these deprived families all have internet for all shopping, i dont see this happening. if they really havent seen the sea its because their parents deem there isnt much to see (and to be frank they'd be right)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i call bullshit too. this would suggest their parents have never tried to take them on a bus about 1-2miles: that they have never been to London Road, Churchill Square or the Cinema. unless these deprived families all have internet for all shopping, i dont see this happening. if they really havent seen the sea its because their parents deem there isnt much to see (and to be frank they'd be right)
Have you seen the cost of bus fares?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You can't see the sea from my house in Coldean, nor could you from the one I grew up in Moulsecoomb. It's hard to miss it from Whitehawk, although there was a report in a paper a few years back about kids in Whitehawk - about 1km from the sea, who'd never been to the beach

Yes you can. It's over there, between the land and the sky!

Oct 25, 2003

you can definitely see it in whitehawk but i've lived in some areas where the sea was in no way visible...i imagine there are a few. it's definitely not impossible to never see the sea

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If you live in Brighton and Hove, have a child over the age of 1 and they've never seen the sea, you should not have children. Simple as that.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The last line detsiled recycling levels @ 27% compared to 70% prior to the strike as no'one 'cares' anymore and stuffs anything in any bin, is this correct??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here