Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 users past and present.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I know there's quite a few gamers here so maybe you can help me out.

My mum (Who is 70 in a few weeks) has taken it upon herself to start getting into computer gaming. She's currently going at it on Gran Turismo 4 on my old PS2, as well as getting into Call of Duty :eek: :lolol: and Minecraft in splitscreen with me on my PS3.

Ideally I would like to get her a PS3 and have a set up where we have our own screens when we play and I have a few queries regarding this.

1. Apparently my digital content that I purchased on the PS store can be installed on up to 2 machines. Does this mean for example that I can install my digital copy of Black Ops 2 on both machines and set it up for LAN play? I ask this as before digital downloads existed we needed 2 physical copies of the game.

2. If the above is possible should my account on the second PS3 be set up to mimic the account on my one, or do I set it up differently?

3. Would it be possible to have both machines connected to my router (BT home hub) and play a private match between each other online (sharing the same internet connection)?

Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered. :thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I know there's quite a few gamers here so maybe you can help me out.

My mum (Who is 70 in a few weeks) has taken it upon herself to start getting into computer gaming. She's currently going at it on Gran Turismo 4 on my old PS2, as well as getting into Call of Duty :eek: :lolol: and Minecraft in splitscreen with me on my PS3.

Ideally I would like to get her a PS3 and have a set up where we have our own screens when we play and I have a few queries regarding this.

1. Apparently my digital content that I purchased on the PS store can be installed on up to 2 machines. Does this mean for example that I can install my digital copy of Black Ops 2 on both machines and set it up for LAN play? I ask this as before digital downloads existed we needed 2 physical copies of the game.

2. If the above is possible should my account on the second PS3 be set up to mimic the account on my one, or do I set it up differently?

3. Would it be possible to have both machines connected to my router (BT home hub) and play a private match between each other online (sharing the same internet connection)?

Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered. :thumbsup:

Point 3 yes you can, In my house share we often had PS3 Games on Battlefield FIFA etc all on the same router.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I haven't any advice but that's amazing, I bought my Mum a 3DS at the age of 65 (to try and stimulate her mind more than watching telly all evening!) - mostly the Professor Layton and Animal Crossing games and other puzzle games off the Nintendo eShop but I have bought her a few Zelda games now which she enjoys other than getting a bit frustrated with the bosses. I couldn't imagine her trying to get to grips with something like Call of Duty though.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't help with the question as I belong to team Xbox but, it has to be said, your mum is clearly awesome.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Thanks for the replies folks.

Point 3 yes you can, In my house share we often had PS3 Games on Battlefield FIFA etc all on the same router.

That's good to know. Any Idea if it is required to have 2 separate copies of the game when using a downloaded game from the PS store? Obviously if you are doing it with a game on disc you need a second copy of the game.

I haven't any advice but that's amazing, I bought my Mum a 3DS at the age of 65 (to try and stimulate her mind more than watching telly all evening!) - mostly the Professor Layton and Animal Crossing games and other puzzle games off the Nintendo eShop but I have bought her a few Zelda games now which she enjoys other than getting a bit frustrated with the bosses. I couldn't imagine her trying to get to grips with something like Call of Duty though.

She's certainly getting there. We just started off slowly concentrating on looking and moving. Just 3 half hour sessions of following me round in split screen and she's certainly got it. Thing is she's gone feral now she's got control. I offer her the next bit of training advice only to find her exploring the other end of the map. :lolol:

I can't help with the question as I belong to team Xbox but, it has to be said, your mum is clearly awesome.

She is. Thanks for the kind words from us both. :thumbsup:

Get her on the Xbox One, then I can teabag her.

She is to be feared my friend. She may not be the quickest draw in the west, but the eruption of delight when I first let her empty an MP7 clip into my face was deeply concerning! :shootself

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I think Sony lets you clone/copy one machine to another. Just sign in on the second machine using the same primary PSN account and it should work I think. As it happens my 2 young lads have just replaced one of our two PS3s with a PS4 so I have a spare one I was going to chuck on Ebay. I couldn't find a way to play games on both PS3s that had an actual disc without buying a second copy so I have FIFA14 and Battlefield 4 and a bunch of other games to go with the console. PM me if your interested and make an offer. One thing I did find on FIFA 14 was I was unable to play an online match against each other using the same wireless connection. We downloaded FIFA 15 on both consoles though having only to purchase on my main PSN account and it works fine and you can play online against each other at the same time. I guess it depends on the game and how it interfaces with the network.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I think Sony lets you clone/copy one machine to another. Just sign in on the second machine using the same primary PSN account and it should work I think. As it happens my 2 young lads have just replaced one of our two PS3s with a PS4 so I have a spare one I was going to chuck on Ebay. I couldn't find a way to play games on both PS3s that had an actual disc without buying a second copy so I have FIFA14 and Battlefield 4 and a bunch of other games to go with the console. PM me if your interested and make an offer. One thing I did find on FIFA 14 was I was unable to play an online match against each other using the same wireless connection. We downloaded FIFA 15 on both consoles though having only to purchase on my main PSN account and it works fine and you can play online against each other at the same time. I guess it depends on the game and how it interfaces with the network.

Thanks for the reply. It seems odd that you failed to get it to work with FIFA 14, especially as that is the version I own (digital download). The fact you got FIFA 15 working is a good sign though.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

PS. See PM re console and games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here