Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Privatising Child Protection

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Plans to privatise child protection services gather pace...

http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2015/jan/12/child-protection-privatisation-ray-jones

Very worrying in my opinion. They won't bring in expertise, it'll be flogged to crapita or G4S.

Not mad keen on the privatisation of probabtion services, to be fair

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/29/justice-probation-contracts-private-companies

Where does this ideological dismantling of the state stop? Would Labour be doing anything different?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this lot will privatise everything if they can make money out of it

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Maybe it would lead to more accountability and less state sponsored cover ups?

I don't know the answer, but hope like all decent humans that vulnerable children are offered proper protection from harm.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I don't know the answer, but hope like all decent humans that vulnerable children are offered proper protection from harm.

Nice thought but it won't, it'll give Government a convenient shield to hide behind. Privatisation has never increased accountability.

If there are issues with child protection (and it seems there is), it needs direct ministerial responsibility to sort it out. Trouble is, no one wants to get their hands dirty, as that won't get them on the board at Crapita when they leave Parliament.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's interesting, I never knew before that private companies never tried to cover up their mistakes! In that case it's a no brainer!!!!!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Is there an armed revolutionary group that's not ISIS? Our country is already a long way down a very disturbing path.

Peteinblack

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This privatisation bullshit never ends, does it?

Accountability and transparency? More like hiding corruption, false accounts and dodgy deals behind 'commercial confidentiality'. Also, there is so much outsourcing and sub-contracting to save money that when things go wrong, no-one knows who to blame, and no-one takes responsibility - they all pass the buck, leaving us, their 'valued customers', going round in circles; after being held in a phone queue for 40 minutes at peak rate - being told 'your call is important to us; please hold' - to speak to someone in a call centre on the other side of the world.

As for increased competition, the same small number of firms snap up most privatised services and utilities: Capita, Serco, GS4, etc - what do any of these know or care about child protection? Just another lucrative business proposition to make a quick buck - a tax-payer funded gravy train for the same handful of spivs and snake-oil salesmen.

Privatisation almost always involves the same features:

1) Jobs and wages are slashed (indirectly meaning more people claiming social security).
2) The CEOs increase their salaries x 10 - funded by the savings from 1) - and start awarding themselves huge bonuses each year, claiming that they need to
be 'competitive' with other private companies in a global market, in order to recruit and retain the very best leaders.
3) Services to the public or service users are cut ('uncompetitive' or 'uneconomic')
4) Prices or fees charged increase year-on-year, regardless of whether the service actually improves (which it rarely does).
5) Anyone who complains about this rip-off is denounced for being 'anti-business' and told to f*** off and live in North Korea or Cuba
6) The whole episode ends in a costly failure, at which point the government and the taxpayer will then be expected to step-in and take over again.

They would privatise the air we breathe if they could devise a method :rant:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm not sure how exactly you privatise such a service, but reading the article it appears you don't - you privatise the admin and logistics functions around it. the same current staff are transfered into a new non-profit organisation, off the balance sheets of the current employer, some savings might be made on consolidated admin and revenue seen on renting the offices back to the service.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They would privatise the air we breathe if they could devise a method :rant:
Thatcher did toy with the idea of selling off British Air until she realised she had already branded the northern half of the UK as oxygen thieves. :lol:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The loop hole regarding the subsidiary is a f***ing joke, this idea of subsidiaries also removes accountability because the management will be done by a parent company who'll find ways to avoid blame.

I was a paid member of the Tories, but thank **** I refused to renew. It really brings into perspective what the Lib dems have potentially prevented, imagine a full Tory government. Scary thought.#

I've noticed no one's mentioned the new pay to train scheme Police forces are beginning to use?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I have no problem with units such as homes being privatised in the same way that many care homes for the elderly and disabled are. I have little confidence in Council employees controlled by elected representatives who most likely have no experience in this area running these establishments.

What I do find disturbing, and believe responsibility must lie with the state, is the area of assessing, examining and deciding the best course of action to protect vulnerable children - it surely cannot be right that these areas be passed into the control of private companies.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I have no problem with units such as homes being privatised in the same way that many care homes for the elderly and disabled are. I have little confidence in Council employees controlled by elected representatives who most likely have no experience in this area running these establishments.

The privatisation of care for the elderly and disabled is one of the reasons our hospitals are under so much strain. Quality of care has decreased, as has entirely non coincidentally the pay and conditions of staff - meaning we further subsidise these shysters through tax credits.

It is truly worrying that you can think there is no problem with homes being privatised.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I've noticed no one's mentioned the new pay to train scheme Police forces are beginning to use?

Missed that one. I was already angry enough at the "Uniform Services" (or something similar) course they offer at colleges now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Libs have just about kept the Tories in check over this parliament. When they win in May all hell will brake lose, can see WWIII with the public sector

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
For some time now, most Police Forces want you to pass a Certificate in Knowledge Of Policing that you pay for yourself and complete before you join. Different set up for Specials and PCSO's. They charge you for your uniform too. Old Training Schools are pretty much gone. The training is done at Universities or Colleges.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure how I feel about the proposals but please can we put one thing to bed ..... this isn't privatisation, it's outsourcing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here