Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute Silence vs Applause

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
I saw the highlights for the Wolves vs Fulham game this evening, which included a minute's silence for former owner Jack Hayward.

Not sure if it was poor editing or it did indeed happen, but halfway through it, the minute's silence turned to applause.

Surely a ground wide applause in celebration of someone's achievements is a much more fitting tribute for the death of a legend than a minute's silence? I understand it's the social norm, but I just feel in this context a minute's applause fits better.

I may be going mad but I thought I'd see what the NSCers think.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The way I see it, a minute's applause is a very appropriate way of marking someone's death if they have done things of note for that club/the game/the country, and if they have lived a full life.

Where I feel a minute's silence is more appropriate is where it is a tragedy, say a young player dying in a car crash.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
The way I see it, a minute's applause is a very appropriate way of marking someone's death if they have done things of note for that club/the game/the country, and if they have lived a full life.

Where I feel a minute's silence is more appropriate is where it is a tragedy, say a young player dying in a car crash.

That's pretty much my view to be honest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whatever the family of the person involved want is appropriate as far as I'm concerned.

My personal view is that a minutes silence from a 30k crowd can be spectacularly emotional and very reflective but that can be shattered by a single moron. But I agree the decision should be down to the family.

Let's be honest though, if we hadn't have had morons ruining these sort of things in the past then we would still have the silence.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Applause is an apt way to commemorate someone's life in honour of their achievements.

Silence should be for tragic circumstances.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

I think that's a really good way of looking at it

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

This sums up my opinion too.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Personally I think we should hold a minute's applause for when the mighty Arsenal grace our pitch.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I would go for silence,when my Wife,Mrs.Wunt be Druvs' Mother passed away,I spent a minute applauding in the Crematorium followed by a loud cheer at the end....didn't go down too well...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Applause is an apt way to commemorate someone's life in honour of their achievements.

Silence should be for tragic circumstances.

Only problem with a minute's silence is that if one moron disagrees and shouts rubbish out the minute's silence is ruined, also, ref's get very nervous about going the whole minute, time it, they are frequently about 45 seconds. If someone does not agree with a minutes applause they are not noticed. It's a difficult one.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Only problem with a minute's silence is that if one moron disagrees and shouts rubbish out the minute's silence is ruined, also, ref's get very nervous about going the whole minute, time it, they are frequently about 45 seconds. If someone does not agree with a minutes applause they are not noticed. It's a difficult one.

That's true. Last year's commemoration of Hillsborough would have been impeccably observed had it not been for the one chump that started singing 'Justice for the 96'. Whatever his intentions that just wasn't the time or place.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

This.
For instance, Nelson Mandela died an old man having done a lot in his life. Minutes applause.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would prefer the silence, but as others have said, it had to be replaced by the idea of a minutes applause because there's usually some moronic nutter who'll spoil it all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here